Author Topic: Survival Horror Video Games  (Read 16410 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Survival Horror Video Games
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »
The Sims if you play it right

My brother killed one of my Sims families by having some of his Sims invite them over and then building his hedge maze closed. They died in puddles of their own filth.

That's nothing.  My friend Jon upon receiving his first copy of the Livin' Large expansion set proceeded to create a Black Widow.  He would work hours on getting his character married and then within 30 minutes of the marriage would proceed to poison the husband.  By the end of his exploits he had managed to create two small gardens and a fence around the house comprised entirely of matching headstones.

God damn. Dude sounds like he's your evil twin Aaron, as dark as you are light.

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 11:51:50 PM »
Oregon Trail is the original survival horror game

I always thought that Oregon Trail should have included a "Donner Party" option as an endgame.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »

Oatgan

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Casey Motherfucking Jones
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 01:48:33 AM »

I think this is the only Shirley Temple movie I would care to see.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 08:13:33 PM »
Mckma - What horror survival games do you recommend for the Wii? I played Res Evil and stupidly traded it away after I beat it so I need to buy it again.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
Mckma - What horror survival games do you recommend for the Wii? I played Res Evil and stupidly traded it away after I beat it so I need to buy it again.

Personally, I've played RE4 on both Gamecube and Wii, and I much prefer the Gamecube.  I found the Wii version a bit to "easy" with the point and shoot, but my friends really like it.  If you are thinking about grabbing it again, the Gamecube version can be snagged for about $15 I think...

The only other real games I know of that loosely to more strictly fit this would be Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (which is a remake of the first game), which I have heard decent things about (I'll probably end up picking it up if I can grab it used for $10-15) and Alone in the Dark, which I have heard really bad things about (but I'll also probably pick this up at $5 used).  Other than that, I know there are a few others which I will find more info on...

You also have "light gun" horror games such as a couple House of the Dead games, and Dead Space Extraction.  I don't think these are really survival horror at all, but they are horror shooters...

Unfortunately because of its "family friendly" tag (which I don't know exactly where it came from), there aren't many options for Wii games...

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 09:16:20 PM »
Unfortunately because of its "family friendly" tag (which I don't know exactly where it came from), there aren't many options for Wii games...

I've heard that porting games to the Wii OS is also a pain in the ass for companies. After the disaster with Madden 08 and 09 and NCAA Football 09, I think EA has stopped releasing football games completely on Wii because of control issues. The motion controls on NCAA Football made the game nearly unplayable.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »

I've heard that porting games to the Wii OS is also a pain in the ass for companies. After the disaster with Madden 08 and 09 and NCAA Football 09, I think EA has stopped releasing football games completely on Wii because of control issues. The motion controls on NCAA Football made the game nearly unplayable.

That's the other thing that kind of bugs me.  I get the impression that many companies feel they need to use motion controls for the game.  Really you don't.  I would be perfectly fine with hooking up a Gamecube controller or even picking up a couple classic controllers for good games.  In many ways I prefer that to hideous waggle or even decent waggle controls at all.  The "family friendly" comment was more referring to a recent interview about the newest console Castlevania game where they said that the Wii was essentially too much of a "family friendly" console to have such a dark game (which to me makes no sense)...

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 09:36:38 PM »
yeah it's the games that are "family friendly", not the console. Also, Wii fitness is FF but it has an entire minigame where you slay hordes of enemy me's with a katana so WTF?

BeyondSandrock

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 03:55:54 AM »
I honestly think that Nintendo was focusing more on the "casual gamer" demographic rather than the "family friendly" lot when they were developing the Wii.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »
It's really old (for video games) but have you played System Shock 2?  It's still one of my favorites, and is installed on this machine right now.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
It's really old (for video games) but have you played System Shock 2?  It's still one of my favorites, and is installed on this machine right now.

That shit is fucked up. "Babies must grow. Babies must feed."