Author Topic: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)  (Read 710920 times)

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)
« Reply #390 on: April 14, 2013, 02:52:43 AM »
I'm considering it. I'm making a character sheet for it today, and we are going to try it out in a couple of weeks. If it works and is fun, I'd try to get it on KS sometime at the end of summer.

Cool
When I was listening to the show I felt something was missing.  Jared Sorensens 3 questions of game design, more so the qestion of how does the mechanic of the game support the goals of the game.  So maby you guys skipped all that because you were just doing pitches and maby not.  So I'm just going to leave the link here: http://stockade.wordpress.com/2009/09/28/the-3-questions-1/

These questions are something I feel should be apart of any game design discussion.  Now on the other and, If you are just making a setting...feel free to ignore.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #391 on: April 14, 2013, 02:57:29 AM »
I finally remembered the other game idea!

I wanted to say that the second game idea from the new podcast, normal people deciding to kill a super being, sounded extremely appealing. It'd make a heck of a game if you could do it right. I love the pitch of normal people deciding that the Joker needs to die (and stay dead).

hell, I can do that as a Base Raiders source book

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #392 on: April 14, 2013, 03:15:27 AM »

I'd buy it.

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #393 on: April 14, 2013, 04:20:51 AM »

I'd buy it.

I'd buy three.
Then my wife would criticise my spending habits.
Then I'd have to return two copies or sell them on via Ebay.
But I'd still buy a copy.

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 14, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »
Man, the other day I listened to the episode and was thinking about the concept of running a weird west game but really wasn't going to any time soon. And then my buddies come by for the weekly 1920s Paranormal game I run and during their smoke break they ask if I'd want to run a set of one off scenarios that might link to our 1920s game in that the 1920s investigators head out west to uncover something that was the focus of the western game (they only know the podcast through me and I hadn't talked to them about the last episode, weird but not uncommon link thought process or real world PC hive mind?). Now, planning to run a game that will play similar to Caleb's 2 Epochs and Weird West game ideas but obviously my own take on the subject... thanks Caleb.

By the way, for the concept in 2 Epochs about the player's actions from the past game being interpreted in the future game, I was thinking what if you were to use a basic d6 and 1-2 is a negative glorified account of the actions, 3-4 is a fairly accurate account of the actions, and 5-6 is a positive glorified account of the actions? You could even just get rid of the accurate account and just use positive or negative glorified accounts of the actions or what ever. Just something I thought when thinking on that aspect of the concept. Leave it to the dice how your past actions get interpreted in the future?   
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #395 on: April 14, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
Caleb's game of the year 2013 http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/13/space-whale/#more-149426

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 27, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »
Thank you, Caleb, for the year and a half long epic journey. I can safely say that Know Evil has, is currently, and will always inspire my writing and gaming.

This campaign was brilliant, and I'm very, very happy you were able to share the ride with us. I miss it already.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 28, 2013, 01:55:37 AM »
Thanks Salkovich. I'm gonna miss seeing it up there every few weeks too. It was fun, and I'm sad to see it go.

You guys are great for saying such nice things about it. It warms me heart.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 28, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
It warms me heart.

Oh see there is where you slip up. It is well known that Caleb has no heart having traded it in a dark park long ago.

Seriously though I have very much enjoyed No Evil through it's run. Between this and your work with the No Security scenario set I think you have a bright future ahead of you. I just wish I could say it would be a extremely lucrative future but hopefully you can carve out a comfortable space for yourself. I know I will be supporting your works as best I can.

It was No Evil and some of the other RPPR work that got me back into role playing. I had left the hobby for a while but am back and while I am not running anything of the complexity or scope of no evil I have run a few one shots and am working on a few things. It is good to have a hobby again and it has let me reconnect with a group of people I had lost touch with as life keep intruding. It is this, more so than the enjoyment of No Evil, that I have to thank you for.

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 29, 2013, 11:32:52 PM »
Caleb, Know Evil is amazing.  The story is so god damn good.  Your GMing was fan-fucking-tastic.  The players were crazy good.  There are geeks all across the nation that would shank their fellow human beings for your binder full of game notes.  You are have the EP equivalent of the nuclear football briefcase in your possession.
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Ezechiel357

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 30, 2013, 04:25:48 AM »
Excellent work, Caleb.
As GM myself, I would like to highlight my favorite aspects of this campaign.
The structure, the campaign "walked" us around a fair share of the universe, each tier focussing on one type of society/world. Each tier was also associated with a strong theme, like sacrifice or moral dilemna.
You also integrated nicely the PC's background in the plot to make the story that more personal.
Details of the opponents, that were never just punching ball or target practices. Each one of them has its specialties, making the confrontation that more unique. Whether it was the station deathtrap with a fight in 0-g (was it Luna tier ?), the commando operation (Luna bank), Basilisk, Titan... wide range of opponents, with all different abilities.

Thank you very much to you and the RPPR team for the excellent entertainment.
And the poster is spot on !  ;)

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 30, 2013, 06:28:49 AM »
Thank you! I really appreciate it. I'm glad you like the campaign. I hope we can get it out there in book format for you someday, but until then I'll try and make the next big thing less than a total disappointment. Thanks again for making my day.

HooliganTuesday

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 30, 2013, 03:26:51 PM »
Speaking of getting it published as a book, I just finished listening to the last episode and i was wondering how you'd feel if the RPPR listeners chipped in together to pay for the $2,500 donation for the Transhuman Kickstarter on your behalf. I'm not really using this second kidney very much and I think its a fair trade in to see Know Evil as a published Campaign/Source Book.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #403 on: April 30, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
Stop me if I'm off here: Ecliphase Phase is creative commons. Caleb doesn't actually need to do much besides just make the book and publish it, right? The stuff in Eclipse Phase is available without too many hoops, as long as he follows the creative commons liscense. The KS pledge would mean that it would be an eventual part of the 'official' Eclipse Phase game line.

If RPPR fans wanted to chip it could be done for a Kickstarter specifically for a No Evil campaign book.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 30, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
How would I feel? Umm...terrified to let down so many nice peoples' expectations? Yeah, I'd feel like that.

Additionally, Posthuman emailed me back and said they are taking things into consideration. That is far from a certainty, but it would still be preferable to work with them than to do it alone. Firstly, I feel like collaboration with PH would be make the campaign far better than what I could pull off on my own. Secondly, it costs something like 30,000 to 40,000 to pull off a hardcover glossy book with original art, which is the quality we've come to expect of EP books and what I would like Know Evil to stack up against. Were I to try and fund the book myself, I could make a serviceable product--maybe even afford a color pages in a softcover of reduced size--but I don't think even with y'alls fantastic support I could raise that much capital for my very first RPG print.

Dear god...even if I did I'd probably poop myself and die of shock.

Anyway, I think we should wait and see. Perhaps $2500 is the going license price and we can worry about it at a later date when we have more info.

Thanks for the continued interest and support. It does me more good than you'll ever know.