Author Topic: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)  (Read 709310 times)

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Caleb is a mad genius (or Yet Another Fan Club Thread)
« Reply #405 on: April 30, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »
And EP is Creative Commons with a non-commercial clause. That means that if I released a Word document or PDF--or even if I made all the art and layout myself--and dumped it for free on the internet, it would not be in violation of the copyright. If I make money off Know Evil, it is a clear violation of the copyright.

Even if I ran a KS just to cover the cost of production--hiring artists, graphic designers, etc--how would I quantify the bare minimum needed for making the project? The second it made more than that amount, I'd be in violation of the license.

Most importantly, I don't want to do anything without the EP creators' blessing. It's not like I came up with Know Evil and a system for running it. The campaign wouldn't exist without their awesome game and setting. I wouldn't want to do anything without at least their consent.

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 30, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »
My own two cents would be that I am very unlikely to run a game of the scope of No Evil so would rather see new/other content issue forth from the Caleb mill. I will of course buy No Evil if/when it does see the light of day but would prefer to see new things.

I do understand not wanting to step on any ones toes especially if they are people you respect and are currently working with.

On the other hand maybe you should just ask your self what would Bartleby do?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #407 on: April 30, 2013, 06:55:33 PM »
Stop me if I'm off here: Ecliphase Phase is creative commons. Caleb doesn't actually need to do much besides just make the book and publish it, right? The stuff in Eclipse Phase is available without too many hoops, as long as he follows the creative commons liscense. The KS pledge would mean that it would be an eventual part of the 'official' Eclipse Phase game line.

If RPPR fans wanted to chip it could be done for a Kickstarter specifically for a No Evil campaign book.

Let's review the EP Creative Commons License:

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution
Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
To view a copy of this license, visit:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
or send a letter to: Creative Commons, 171 Second Street,
Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
What this means is that you are free to copy, share, and
remix the text and artwork within this book under the fol
lowing conditions:
1) you do so only for noncommercial purposes;
2) you attribute Posthuman Studios;
3) you license any derivatives under the same license.
For specific details, appropriate credits, and updates/changes
to this license, please see: http://eclipsephase.com/cclicense

Noncommercial is a key word here. If you want to help, be sure to let the Eclipse Phase authors know what you think about Know Evil!

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 30, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
Noncommercial is a key word here. If you want to help, be sure to let the Eclipse Phase authors know what you think about Know Evil!

Thatīs what I have been doing.
Here is their website.
Go forth and tell there there is a product for them to sell here...Or add as a stretch goal for the current kickstarters...Hmmm
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #409 on: April 30, 2013, 07:56:11 PM »
Ah, see I was way off. This is why you shouldn't get legal advise from the internet. Thank you Ross.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:57 PM »
KS a fund for paying Posthuman sutdios the license fees sounds like what the Rifftrax guys did for getting the license for Twlight. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-wants-to-riff-twilight-live-in-theaters-n

So it is probably do-able through KS.

Wooberman

• I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #411 on: May 01, 2013, 02:59:14 AM »
What if the RPPR fan base backed Transhuman as one backer, pooled our resources and pledged $2,500 to get Caleb the rights to publish Know Evil as an official Eclipse Phase Campaign supplement?

You know it makes sense.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:18:05 AM by Wooberman »

Capitalocracy

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »
While I agree with the logistical issues of making sure you don't accidentally make any money (hey, just pay me to edit with whatever's left over!) I wouldn't think of putting out a free EP campaign as working without Posthuman's blessing. They gave it a CC license for a reason. Their intention was to make it available for noncommercial user-created content.

I don't know that I would play it even if you did release it. Trying to re-create Know Evil could be fun, but it would never be the same, and there are so many themes to explore in Eclipse Phase. Maybe I would with a group that never heard it, but I doubt it would ever be as cool as the original. But I would definitely get a copy and read it and use it to steal ideas from you more than I already am... yes, my Firewall agents are currently working under Proxy Zealot.

I'm sad to see it go, but awesome ending to the campaign. [spoiler]And the game I'm running started a few weeks ago... thankfully Ross didn't go all Fox Mulder and ruin the internal consistency of my game by leaving Firewall![/spoiler]

Also, I've got to know, how did Manjappa become immortal before everyone else?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:11:37 PM by Capitalocracy »

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 01, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
Hey Caleb, how do you spell the name of the crazy Chinese gangster mentioned in the most recent RPPR episode? I need to learn about this crazed man.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #414 on: May 01, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »
Hey Caleb, how do you spell the name of the crazy Chinese gangster mentioned in the most recent RPPR episode? I need to learn about this crazed man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sai_Wing_Mock

vthings

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 03, 2013, 06:32:16 AM »
For me Eclipse Phase was just another niche RPG that I had no interest in.  Another indie title with hopelessly complicated game mechanics that seemed alien to me.  I couldn't even begin to bother my ADD-rattled brain with it.  The few oneshots you guys had run didn't really sell me on it like the CoC ones had done previously.  I wasn't very excited about the campaign as it started and I honestly only really started to listen because my job has many boring hours to kill.

To my thoughts about it now that the campaign has come to a close, I'd really like a chance to either play or run an EP game myself.  Sometimes it's hard to learn a new rule set and it can be more difficult by how tied in to an entirely new setting it can all be.  But these games really made it clear for me.  The only complaint I can think of is how in the world am I going to talk my friends into investing the time to understand the setting, hah.  Great listen, thanks guys.

Wooberman

• View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #416 on: May 03, 2013, 06:35:16 AM »
What if the RPPR fan base backed Transhuman as one backer, pooled our resources and pledged $2,500 to get Caleb the rights to publish Know Evil as an official Eclipse Phase Campaign supplement?

You know it makes sense.

A... Anyone?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #417 on: May 03, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »
Sorry Wooberman, looks like there aren't alot of grass root takers.

It's just as well; I believe Caleb mentioned not being ready to produce the book in the near future. A time will come.

Wooberman

• View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #418 on: May 03, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »
Ah well, Worth a try.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #419 on: May 03, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
well this topic discusses it in detail http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,1691.0.html

the long and the short of it is: don't worry, Caleb's on it.