Author Topic: Anima: Beyond fantasy  (Read 7755 times)

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
Anima: Beyond fantasy
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:06:17 AM »
My new job working overnights gives me time to look over my RPG books again, and tumbing through Anima, I am upset that I never got to run a game.

I'm flirting with the idea of running it over skype/openRPG.

I'd need 2-4 players of the number-crunching, understanding variety as we learn the system.

Input, questions, comments?
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Anima: Beyond fantasy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:56:46 AM »
It's a heck of a game. First book is half numbers and half bizzare story setting. Really reminded me of when I first sat down with Exalted. Still don't really know for sure how to play. Cool as hell to look at, though, and the classes are certainly alot of fun. Even being a normal fighter has alot of depth compared to other systems. I'm up for making an effort, provided your times mesh with mine. Hey, your actually in my time zone too! That might be a first in skype gaming for me.

FuzzyDan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:06:30 AM »
from what I can see, combat itself is straightforward.  The intimidating part is character creation, especially with custom summons and the Ki/psychic powers.

I work 11pm-8am, so any night except Wed/Thurs (those are my WoW raiding nights) works for me, as long as I'm done by 10:30.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:18:02 AM »
Cool with me, I work a straight forward 8 to 5 so I'm around 6pm and later and I don't like to play longer than three or four hours.

Combat is straight forward in a fashion. There aren't as many counter rolls as other systems, things are determined by opposed rolls, alot like the resistance system in CoC (well, not exactly since the numbers can pretty easily clear 100 and you want it to be higher not lower and... whatever).

Also skills I'm not entirely clear on. Do like the setting, all complex and mess up and weird.

FuzzyDan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:30:41 AM »
My very first thought for the setting was a fantasy-styled Fringe-type game.  I was also plowing through a backlog of Fringe Season 1 when I first got the book.  I'll read through the setting info again and see if I'ms till inspired on that route.

aat any rate, I found this, if it works, it should help with character creation
http://cipher-studios.com/AnimaBB/index.php?topic=3941.0
Go to the last page of the thread for the most recent build.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 03:41:35 AM »
Yeah, that'd be helpful. Have you tried it out yet?

FuzzyDan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 03:46:39 AM »
I had it converted to be compatible with Open Office, I dunno if it retained full-functionality during the conversion, but I did find out that spending DP cn only happen when you set the level on the first page, even though it's not a "yellow box" the instructions tell you to fill.

What part of the skills were throwing you off?  I haven't looked over them again, but when I do, I'd like to know what to watch out for.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 03:51:26 AM »
They run on a static number system instead of contested like combat and the numbers tend to be lower rated. DP is still used to buy up skill ranks, I'm just not sure of how to actually works. I haven't read the corebook in sometime, I've been reading the setting book that came out awhile back.

FuzzyDan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 05:28:26 PM »
I had it converted to be compatible with Open Office, I dunno if it retained full-functionality during the conversion, but I did find out that spending DP cn only happen when you set the level on the first page, even though it's not a "yellow box" the instructions tell you to fill.

Also, I didn't realize this machine was running a 2.x version of OOo, I'm updating now and hopefully the spreadsheet will work.

Edit:  Negative, according to the author's thread, there are too many variables that OOo couldn't handle, but Office can.  LAME.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:49:02 PM by FuzzyDan »

FuzzyDan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
http://cipher-studios.com/AnimaBB/index.php?topic=3587.0

Less robust, but there's an individualized worksheet for each class, and no annoying N/A values when you run it in open office.