Author Topic: Copper Age RPG?  (Read 6879 times)

SimonLucid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Don't put that in there is doesn't belong there
    • View Profile
Copper Age RPG?
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
What would be a good system to replicate this era of history?

This topic is also known as listening to podcast about Copper Age.
The question is how faggy can I get...

If you like my avatar check out Seriousbreakfasttime on deviantArt for more great works.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Copper Age RPG?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
Copper Age... I forget there even was one. Was that Babylon?

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
It all depends on what you're shooting for there.  The copper age is merely a setting.  What you want to do in it will determine the system. 

I don't know of any copper-age setting RPGs, but my default response for any place where I don't have a ready system is Savage Worlds.  It's fairly adaptable and is easy to make up new rules for.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
The standby of course is Iron Heroes.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:05:28 PM »
The standby of course is Iron Copper Heroes.

Done.

SimonLucid

• Don't put that in there is doesn't belong there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
It all depends on what you're shooting for there.  The copper age is merely a setting.  What you want to do in it will determine the system. 

I don't know of any copper-age setting RPGs, but my default response for any place where I don't have a ready system is Savage Worlds.  It's fairly adaptable and is easy to make up new rules for.

I actually thought about using Savage Worlds, it would be a strange game though. I don't I'll actually run it. I was just thinking about time period game.
The question is how faggy can I get...

If you like my avatar check out Seriousbreakfasttime on deviantArt for more great works.

Sacrath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
Well, from Wikipedia, it looks like copper wasn't really good for anything, even when they figured out how to smelt it. They didn't really get to weapons till bronze, so most of the copper was used for jewelry to indicate social status while stone tools were still used. I have never played it, but didn't Dark Sun have some kind of no-metal theme? Otherwise you could hit up the social angle with like Houses of the Blooded, especially if you made Copper magical.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »
Well, from Wikipedia, it looks like copper wasn't really good for anything, even when they figured out how to smelt it. They didn't really get to weapons till bronze, so most of the copper was used for jewelry to indicate social status while stone tools were still used. I have never played it, but didn't Dark Sun have some kind of no-metal theme? Otherwise you could hit up the social angle with like Houses of the Blooded, especially if you made Copper magical.

Dark Sun had metal, they'd merely lost the art of refining and crafting the stuff, so metal weaponry was not only very effective but very rare and very expensive. Usually, you'd have bladed weapons made of somewhat hardened obsidian (which in all honesty is far more horrifying than steel; ever handle chipped bits of obsidian? It's like juggling broken glass shards) and blunt ones of stone or agafari wood (a very tough type of wood usually made into staves, well known for their ability to strike firmly and flexibly).

Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)