Author Topic: Calypsis  (Read 12695 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Calypsis
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 01:24:49 PM »
You could also just get proper web hosting and set up your own wiki. Hosting RPPR costs ~$110 a year and wiki software is free.

thergenrader

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 02:17:47 PM »
Yeah, that's what I would do. I already have my own site running WordPress (http://www.trenthergenrader.com - not much there after a malware attack whacked my old WordPress install) and I would probably do a second WordPress install under a separate directory (e.g. trenthergenrader.com/calypsis). I tried setting up MediaWiki on my site last year and the documentation is pretty awful and I couldn't get anything to look half-way decent. I have a lot of WP experience though, so maybe that is the way to go...

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »
You got this comment on Facebook already, but I'll post it here to see what people think.

I think if you're going to have more user feedback involved it needs to be highly structured. Instead of relying on "open suggestions" from readers/users, I would do polling where you give readers a few (six?) suggestions about what to do next and then base the next story on the poll. E.G. Should Meli live? (1) No, and he should be disgraced in death. (2) No, and he should become a hero for the MPD. (3), No, and he's easily forgotten. (4) Yes, but he's crippled and gets kicked out of Old Federal. ...
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

thergenrader

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 05:10:35 PM »
Patrick, you've actually foreseeing version 2.0 of the whole concept. My solicitation for feedback is more along the lines of "how is the story flowing" rather than "what should happen next?" I've got a few different plot threads involving the characters that will result in a novel-length string of intertwined narratives, but my advisor is indeed encouraging me to make a different project very similar to what you describe.

Since this is probably going to be my dissertation though, apparently the university takes "single authorship" very seriously so, regrettably, I'm not really looking for plot ideas but rather input on the navigation.

I would love to get to know this community more and have some people here be part of project 2.0 where role-playing gaming (of a type) would be central to the emerging world.

thergenrader

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »
Okay, I'm not dead but have rather been developing a new site here:

http://trenthergenrader.com/calypsis/

To the right of the title you have three icons that display the story's metadata: time stamp, POV character, and location (the latter two are linked to a compendium, a Wikipedia-like site I'm building as part of the work rather than linking outside)

The body is more or less the same with colored links--red goes to the compendium, blue to other narratives, green to dream state narratives.

The footer presents the reader with different "jumps" to other narratives. The link tells the reader how much time is being traversed and the POV character. Or there's a completely random jump that will take you anywhere in the narrative.

Right now only 5-6 pages are currently linked. I've submitted this as a proof-of-concept site to my dissertation committee to get their feedback/reaction. If you get a second, take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks!