Author Topic: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)  (Read 420033 times)

HapexIndustries

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: HAY GUYS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THING (Forum Shout Out Thread Thing)
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2016, 08:11:26 PM »
Kinda cool, attempt at recreating Kowloon Walled City in Fallout 4 (out of Hangman's Alley).

http://imgur.com/gallery/Qy2LX/new
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:16:04 PM by HapexIndustries »

HapexIndustries

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 14, 2016, 10:18:22 PM »
In further Kowloon City vidya gaming news, Phantasmal, the procedurely generated roguelite Lovecraft first person surivial horror game (jeezis) is out of Early Access on Steam and enjoying some reasonably high approval rates (80% at the moment).  I look forward to trying it this weekend.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/342550/

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2016, 02:48:56 AM »
Kinda cool, attempt at recreating Kowloon Walled City in Fallout 4 (out of Hangman's Alley).

http://imgur.com/gallery/Qy2LX/new

nice

CADmonkey

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 18, 2016, 05:17:51 PM »
MOSH PIT SIMULATOR FOR VR GOES WRONG, TURNS INTO NIGHTMARISH COMEDY

Having recently earned front page status on Reddit, I Have No Idea What I’m Doing: The Game is a virtual reality mosh pit simulator gone wrong, or so its creator Sos Sosowski claims. In it, hordes of creepy, slightly gelatinous men with no respect for personal space try to swarm you, leaving you awkwardly flailing your arms at them as you try to push them away. So, another day on Tinder, then?

As you can probably see from watching the gifs, Sosowski tells me that “there was no mosh pit game in the first place.” Rather, I Have No Idea What I’m Doing was born out of his recent experience visiting GDC, where he was inspired to start working with virtual reality after seeing what other game makers were doing with the platform. “I didn’t really want to work on VR,” he told me. “But when I went to GDC and saw all the hype and great ideas, I got really excited and wanted to try something too!” So he got his hands on an HTC Vive developer’s kit, rigged it up to control an old human model he had previously made for a zombie parody game, and started making it dance around like “a weird inverse kinematic human abomination.”

Dancing by oneself in VR can get lonely, though, so he added some more abominations to the game and set them to slowly wiggle towards him. After that, he then gave himself super strength to push away the encroaching horde of groovers, giving us the game as we can see it now. “It looked really nice, so I recorded a short gif and uploaded it to Twitter and Reddit,” he explains. “The entire process took no more than two hours, but the internet did not care about the process, and the internet exploded!”

With the project’s newfound popularity, he’s since given it its own website, and has been hard at work recording more footage of it while also toying around with potential new features. “I have a million things in mind,” he tells me. “Like, should I have dinosaurs in my game? Should the enemies ride horses? I really, really have no idea what I’m doing.” The latest update to the game sees you shooting whole roast chickens from your hands.

The project isn’t Sosowski’s first time developing for virtual reality, as he had previously ported one of his older games—a parody of Proteus—to the Oculus Rift, but it is his first time developing a game specifically meant to be played in VR. As he explains, “I didn’t think ‘what kind of game can I force to work in VR,’” but rather, “what cool thing can I do in this virtual space with my head and my hands?” The result “immediately looked good,” he said, “as in VR is a ‘make it look good’ button that always works.”

Even though the game wasn’t technically built with mosh pits in mind, Sos tells me that he loves mosh pits all the same, so much so that he even has a book of mosh pit paintings from artist Dan Witz. “My greatest achievement is surviving a mosh pit for the entire duration of a Vader concert during a 500,000 people music festival while wearing just a swimsuit,” he shared. “I was just one big bruise after bumping into all the leather-and-iron-clad hairy dudes :P” Unfortunately, since he’s currently recovering from a broken shoulder, he won’t be able to mosh for what he says will probably be another year. “But hey!” he laughed. “I still have the VR for that!”

And there's some more videos of the "mosh pit simulator" here: Mosh Pit Simulator Goes Wrong, Turns Into Nightmare
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #289 on: April 25, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
Don't know if anyone else has seen it but the film American Ultra is pretty good.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
Saw a couple of movies this past weekend:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

It’s to The Dark Horse’s great benefit that this is the rare inspirational true-life story that doesn’t shoehorn a fountain of relentless optimism for the future into the proceedings. Based on the real-life story of the Maori speed-chess player and coach Genesis Potini, it’s a story of mental illness and manhood that manages to strike a difficult balance between sentiment and gritty honesty. Writer-director James Napier Robertson chronicles the uplifting story of Potini’s time with the Eastern Knights, an after-school chess program for at-risk youth, but The Dark Horse isn’t focused on the Eastern Knights, necessarily. It’s a film about Potini, and the private and public weight he carried.
The rest of the review here.

This is one for the film fetishists.  Shot on film and only released (to date) on 35mm film, Too Late is a modern day hardboiled detective story "about a missing woman and a lost man".  It's quite derivative, but beautifully shot in 5 20-minute long continuous takes (each take being on a single film reel).  If you can see it in a theatre with a 35mm projector you should, because neither DCP nor HD tv technology have yet to equal the image quality found on film.

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
HAY GUYS My wife has recorded an album! It's Brothers Grimm-inspired Americana. Check it out!

http://www.oliviacordray.com/
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #292 on: May 06, 2016, 12:43:58 AM »
HAY GUYS My wife has recorded an album! It's Brothers Grimm-inspired Americana. Check it out!

Awesome! Is this just a link to one preview song or is that all of it? Does she plan to put it on bandcamp?

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 08, 2016, 02:18:33 AM »

Awesome! Is this just a link to one preview song or is that all of it? Does she plan to put it on bandcamp?

I was apparently slightly premature. She's still got some mixing to do on a couple songs, so it's only one song that's completed and on her website so far.

She's planning on doing Bandcamp, I think, and also doing a Kickstarter to make and distribute CDs.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 08, 2016, 03:15:10 AM »

I was apparently slightly premature. She's still got some mixing to do on a couple songs, so it's only one song that's completed and on her website so far.

She's planning on doing Bandcamp, I think, and also doing a Kickstarter to make and distribute CDs.

Let us know when it's out.  Not half bad :-)
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 09, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
For your consideration, an artifact of the 80's:

https://vimeo.com/13478473

The Turbo Kid facebook page just shared this article: ‘Rad’ Star Bill Allen Looks Back On Helltrack And That Iconic BMX Prom Scene, 30 Years Later.  If you've seen Turbo Kid and were wondering "Why BMX bikes?" then here's one of the reasons.  In the north american suburbs of the 80's, just about every kid had a BMX bike, they were bigger than skateboarding back then; even if you didn't race them or do tricks on them, you spent most of your summers riding them.  There were a bunch of teen romance/sports movies made in the 80's, The Karate Kid is the best remembered of them, but Rad is without a doubt the cheesiest.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:02:22 PM by CADmonkey »

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 10, 2016, 10:40:08 AM »
For your consideration, an artifact of the 80's:

https://vimeo.com/13478473

The Turbo Kid facebook page just shared this article: ‘Rad’ Star Bill Allen Looks Back On Helltrack And That Iconic BMX Prom Scene, 30 Years Later.  If you've seen Tubo Kid and were wondering "Why BMX bikes?" then here's one of the reasons.  In the north american suburbs of the 80's, just about every kid had a BMX bike, they were bigger than skateboarding back then; even if you didn't race them or do tricks on them, you spent most of your summers riding them.  There were a bunch of teen romance/sports movies made in the 80's, The Karate Kid is the best remembered of them, but Rad is without a doubt the cheesiest.

His mom is played by Talia Shire, who was in Rocky and The Godfather. So in my headcanon, his dad is Rocky and his uncle is Michael Corleone.

Tell me that wouldn't make an awesome movie.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 11, 2016, 05:00:25 PM »

Soldiers in a remote, bucolic setting are struck by an odd form of sleeping sickness that finds them semipermanent guests at a quiet country hospital. Even the people still walking around seem to be under some kind of spell in this latest, whimsically dreamy venture from Thai writer-director Apichatpong Weerasethakul. He has a weakness for folktales, animistic curses, and reincarnation, as seen in similarly themed films like Tropical Malady and Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives.

Things centre on Jen (Jenjira Pongpas), a middle-aged woman with legs of uneven length who volunteers at the hospital. She’s befriended by Keng (Jarinpattra Rueangram), a medium and possible government spy who can communicate with the snoozing soldiers, although that’s not necessarily connected with their morning erections.

The women bond with one young man (Banlop Lomnoi) in particular, and he becomes a kind of son to Jen. No one is perturbed by the loose, unexpected connections between people and places, or by increasingly bizarre explanations of odd behaviour, as with the travelling saleswomen who claim to be ghosts of long-gone Laotian goddesses. Turns out the soldiers are simply reliving past battles in their sleep, while that earth-digger outside disturbs the bones of ancient armies.

Cleverly made, Cemetery Of Splendour is packed with so much wry humour, gentle mystery, and strange beauty – the soldiers have ‘anti-snoring machines’ that change colour like mood rings – almost anyone would enjoy spending some time there.

– Ken Eisner, Georgia Straight

Languidly paced and suffused with a sense of magical realism that reminded me of the state between dreaming and wakefulness, I "enjoy spending some time" in this movie more than I had expected, even if I didn't get all of the symbolism (assuming it was there for me to "get it").  And now I have to see Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives.

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #298 on: May 12, 2016, 07:11:53 AM »
From the ongoing collection on anecdotes over at Table Titans:
The players were students at an isolated rural girl's school, where the teachers were Cultists of the Elder Gods (of course).

The final session took place on the top of a storm-swept mountain at midnight, where the grand summoning ritual to raise one of the Dark Children of Shub-Niggurath was taking place.

With no time to waste, the players found the groundskeeper's old VW bus and managed to drive it up the steep gravel road to the ritual site.

As they approached, they killed the lights, and slowly inched the bus toward the chanting Cultists. I had them make a stealth roll, but then I decided the chanting and the thunderstorm cancelled out the penalty for being in a motor vehicle. Their roll was excellent.

They managed to get right up to the edge of the ritual circle, where the teachers had all gathered. In the center of their circle the Headmaster was preparing to sacrifice the students captured earlier.

The player driving the bus announced he planned to attack.

When I asked him what with, he replied, "The bus."

So, with the wheezy "Henk, henk!" of the old bus's horn as a battlecry, the party began to do donuts through the ritual circle, running over Cultists and shooting a captured shotgun out the window.

And that's the story of how "Henk, henk!" became the sound a sneak attack makes.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #299 on: May 12, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »
[url]http://theantimedia.org/100-military-manuals-you-can-download-for-free//url]

free military manuals anyone?