Author Topic: What do you want the next RPPR campaign to be?  (Read 94306 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want the next RPPR campaign to be?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 12:49:08 AM »
I have an idea for a post-apocalyptic campaign - not a hard crash but a gradual collapse of civilization. Instead of a Road Warrior or Fallout barren wasteland, imagine endless shanty towns, sprawl, refugee camps and shadow cities for most of humanity and fortified green zones for the privileged elite. Makers and fabricators spewing out pirated video games and AK-47s. Rumors of unnatural things in hot zones - the areas humans can't survive because of rampant pollution and toxic waste which was released by freakish weather or terrorist attacks. Sightings of an Armageddon Beast - an unstoppable killing machine that wanders the world, destroying everything it can. Husks - animate clothing that stalks the fringes and said to worship an impossibly tall man in a suit. There are zombies out there, but they're the least of your problems.

This is just such a colorful setting and I think it would be a lot of fun to play around in/listen to others interact with...

Jason

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 03:57:00 AM »
I'm digging the idea of a post-apocalyptic GURPS game where we are the survivors having to pick up the pieces. Either the war torn wasteland of Mad Max or Fallout or the endless shanty town aspect would suit me just fine.

Of course I'm game for Iron Heroes. I love the Sword and Sorcery, might makes right, and survival of the fittest when I played my Weapons Master years ago.

As for other games we discussed, I'm always down for World of Darkness but I still haven't come up with a campaign-long story arc to pitch. Maybe our fans have some suggestions?

Also, I'd like to throw out the idea of us playing villains trying to become members of The Guild of Calamitous Content. Not only would it have the zany fun of The Venture Bros. universe and the appeal of a Dr. Horrible storyline, but I would love to see our wacky ideas for villains and how we would interact with each other, especially with Aaron having to play a bad guy!

-Jason

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
Jason does raise a good idea with WoD.  I'd love to see what one of you guys could do with Changeling the Lost.   

Ross, I'd be really excited to hear Cthulhu Invictus actual plays. 
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »
This might be lame but I'd love to see hear the RPPR crew tackle a generations long campaign. Y'know like where the players would be managing either an estate or some sort of bloodline throughout time. Different epochs could be different tiers of play.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Ryphus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 07:20:45 PM »
Would love to see the Rogue Trader one, to see a good group play it out so I could learn more about it.  Warhammer Universe is fun to me, but I could  care less about the mini game.  I haven't checked out the WH40K rpg, cause it's hard to add yet one more game lol.
"Yeah you can throw the cat as a weapon, use Dex mod I guess.  It's just gonna daze though."

Z

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
This might be lame but I'd love to see hear the RPPR crew tackle a generations long campaign. Y'know like where the players would be managing either an estate or some sort of bloodline throughout time. Different epochs could be different tiers of play.

i always thought a decades-spanning rpg campaign in the spirit of dumas would be pretty cool

do that ross

but with nemesis

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »
I have an idea for a post-apocalyptic campaign - not a hard crash but a gradual collapse of civilization. Instead of a Road Warrior or Fallout barren wasteland, imagine endless shanty towns, sprawl, refugee camps and shadow cities for most of humanity and fortified green zones for the privileged elite. Makers and fabricators spewing out pirated video games and AK-47s. Rumors of unnatural things in hot zones - the areas humans can't survive because of rampant pollution and toxic waste which was released by freakish weather or terrorist attacks. Sightings of an Armageddon Beast - an unstoppable killing machine that wanders the world, destroying everything it can. Husks - animate clothing that stalks the fringes and said to worship an impossibly tall man in a suit. There are zombies out there, but they're the least of your problems.

This is just such a colorful setting and I think it would be a lot of fun to play around in/listen to others interact with...

Some (but not all) influences

Cold war architecture as described by Fallout, the book Survival City and so forth. Bunkers, silos, esoteric industrial complexes built for no discernible reason.

Urban exploration and other oddities from BLDG Blog and the like. Architectural horror. The madness of banality.

Cities Under Siege/Shock Doctrine/McMafia/Global Guerrillas - the face of global instability today - sprawling, chaotic cities and refugee camps spiraling out of control, profit focused terrorists and franchise crime syndicates contrasted with the faceless institutions of corporations and governments that deploy widespread surveillance, co-opt civil rights and subvert any type of democratic reform

Junji Ito/Hastur/Carcosa/House of Leaves/House on the Borderland - cosmic horror with an emphasis on the unreal - did something actually happen or are you just going mad? Artistic decadence.

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »

Cold war architecture as described by Fallout, the book Survival City and so forth. Bunkers, silos, esoteric industrial complexes built for no discernible reason.

Urban exploration and other oddities from BLDG Blog and the like. Architectural horror. The madness of banality.

Cities Under Siege/Shock Doctrine/McMafia/Global Guerrillas - the face of global instability today - sprawling, chaotic cities and refugee camps spiraling out of control, profit focused terrorists and franchise crime syndicates contrasted with the faceless institutions of corporations and governments that deploy widespread surveillance, co-opt civil rights and subvert any type of democratic reform

Junji Ito/Hastur/Carcosa/House of Leaves/House on the Borderland - cosmic horror with an emphasis on the unreal - did something actually happen or are you just going mad? Artistic decadence.

With how well the Night Hotel scenario that was inspired by the stuff from BLDG Blog went, I'd be really, really excited to hear this campaign. I change my vote to this.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »
Did I post the night hotel game as a ransom game? I don't remember.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »

Some good inspiration could also be had from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. : Shadow of Chernobyl.

The game is set in Chernobyl in the near-future, where a second nuclear incident has occurred. Suddenly mutated animals start appearing and the zone is closed off entirely. However, there is also the discovery of certain irradiated artifacts with properties that defy scientific logic, which become extremely valuable. So, mercenaries start entering the zone illegally in search of fame and fortune, only meet the real horrors of the zone. They are called stalkers, and they are some of the toughest people around.

It has a lot of exploration, factions vying for power, mutants with crazy psychic powers, awesome gameplay and a kick-ass story. The developers are Ukrainian, and so they could easily travel to the real Chernobyl and render it faithfully in the game, so it's really immersive. There's also a ton of mods which add more content and better graphics to the game.

Definitely worth checking out, if you're gonna do the post-apocalyptic campaign.

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 08:30:11 PM »

No, it was one of the games you ran for kickstarter contributors. I was in it.
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »

Don't forget: Floating cities that the superrich built to escape the rabble below that may or may not be break down and crashing. Or whose inhabitants may just float over an area and carpet bomb it for no reason.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 11:10:49 PM »

oh yeah. I should post that game at some point lol.

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2011, 11:18:53 PM »

oh yeah. I should post that game at some point lol.

Do so! Was a good game.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2011, 11:39:13 PM »
Well, they could start as lowly scavengers and end up as WasteLand Kings in their Dark Towers.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.