Author Topic: Help me RPPR you're my only Hope  (Read 9086 times)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
Help me RPPR you're my only Hope
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »
Okay boys and girls,
I've been given the task of running a one shot Fear Itself game this sunday (30th) for Halloween. My problem is that i am at a loss as to what scenario to cook up.
The stipulations are as follows-
  • It must be simple
  • It must be modern day
  • It must be a meat grinder
  • The PCs will be pregens relevant to the scenario with simple motivations
  • The players respond well to creepyness more than to just gore (no brainer)
  • One or two players do not respond well to outright PVP gameplay so that is on the down low but not ruled out as an option

I'm willing to accept any and all suggestions. I've considered running the Survival City game or even the Scenario Ross ran for Tom and Cody but i doubt i'll be able to think outside the box of the Actual plays.
I'm Trusting you guys on this one, I might even record it so long as you all don't mind strong South Western English Accents. Hell even a mishmash collection of events will suffice if i get desperate.

Now Go, Wow me.

Rawtooth

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Help me RPPR you're my only Hope
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »
Crook's End from the Book of Unremitting Horror.  It has all of the stipulations you need, especially if you play up the deadliness of 'bad' ghost.  If you want to hear an AP of it, download the first episode of NerdBound.
Fractals are our friends.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:02:33 PM »
Why not a Candle Cove based scenario?

To keep it simple, have them wake up in a strange place with no memory of how they got there. No one else is there initially aside from the PCs.

They stumble on strange childish things - playsets, picture books, etc.

Turns out that the Candle Cove cult kidnapped them because they all watched the original show.

They used the PCs in a summoning ritual. But things went wrong. It pulled the cult compound into the world of Candle Cove.

Things get more and more Silent Hillish until the PCs rescue a cultist that explains how to get back home.

They have to watch Candle Cove and go inside the cave. That will lead them to the real world.

Kelkesh123

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • "What would the DC be for eating him whole?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »
They have to watch Candle Cove and go inside the cave. That will lead them to the real world.

So what you're saying is...they have....to go....INSIDE?

CUE HORACE HORRIBLE ATTACK.

EDIT: Also, I think you should avoid explaining the Skin Taker. Don't get into his back story with the players. Make him cosmic horror like.

AND HAVE TALKING PIRATE DUBLOONS THAT GIVE ADVICE. One is always right, one is always wrong, UNTIL LATER ON, when the right one says "Don't worry, the Skin Taker only hunts children!" and then they die.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:31:02 PM by Kelkesh123 »
"THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!"

Wooberman

• View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:49:20 PM »
Thanks Guys, after a sit down chat with the players they felt that the Crook's End scenario would be better for them rather than Candle Cove (some didn't get it, I'm not going to get into it).

One minor issue, its been requested that the pregen characters are named and stylized after L4D(2) characters.
Its not bad since using those characters as templates meant writing up the pregens took all of an hour. I am a little concerned that this may detract from the players buying into the game.

Any thoughts?

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »
One minor issue, its been requested that the pregen characters are named and stylized after L4D(2) characters.

That can't lead to anything good.

"RELOADING!"

"PILLS HERE!"

"TANK! TANK TAAAAAAAANK!

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 03:07:25 AM »
It might end up a horror comedy, but as for buy in it sounds like they'll be more willing since they have a hand in creating the pregens rather than being presented with Random Mceveryguy. The L4D characters might be treated as kind of expendable and do campy/videogamey things, but some people like that.

My players tonight (last night?) pulled a 180 on me and I found myself altering the mood to suit their candid approach to horror. We had many laughs and it ended in a TPK. Classic b movie style. So just be ready- unless you REALLY want a serious game, then you might have to put the kibosh on that and reinforce your serious approach.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Wooberman

• View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:04:25 AM »
It might end up a horror comedy, but as for buy in it sounds like they'll be more willing since they have a hand in creating the pregens rather than being presented with Random Mceveryguy. The L4D characters might be treated as kind of expendable and do campy/videogamey things, but some people like that.

My players tonight (last night?) pulled a 180 on me and I found myself altering the mood to suit their candid approach to horror. We had many laughs and it ended in a TPK. Classic b movie style. So just be ready- unless you REALLY want a serious game, then you might have to put the kibosh on that and reinforce your serious approach.

Sage advice, I think my players will prefer a B movie style Sci-fi channel-made movie game. Its the safest place for them to be, or so they will think. There will be laughs but they will be after bad things happen.

Wooberman

• View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:13:11 PM »
Wooberman Uses "Run Fear Itself" For Halloween
Its SUPER EFFECTIVE
Players fall unconscious
Wooberman is Victorious

More details later... its about 1am.