Author Topic: Wild Talents question  (Read 188519 times)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Talents question
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »
I see...

I only had to read that twice to understand it! Woo hoo.... lol

So if you had wanted to make that Harm miracle as a hyperstat instead how do you add extras and all that too it...

It took me a while to come up with an example of what I am trying to ask but essentially

Arm Mace (2/die) 7d (14)
Power Qualities and [Capacities]: Attack[Mass]
Attacks Extra's and Flaws: Reduced Capacities -1, Limited Damage(Shock) -1, Penetration +2
Description: Your forearm becomes a blunt instrument capable of dealing shock damage to an enemy.

What I want to know is if you wanted to use this as a melee weapon hyper skill (instead of a flat dice miracle) how do you stat that?

Happy to say your power examples have given me a more insight into how to build a power with less than obvious extra's and flaws.

A miracle isn't a hyperstat - a hyperstat is a very broad approximation of a character's abilities. Hyperstats are less expensive than normal stats because as with any superpower, they can be shut off. Miracles can be broad, but they aren't stats themselves - they let you go over and above your stats. I used the harm miracle here because the minions do not have stats as-is, and I sort of gave them fake hyperskills to break the normal limitations of minions. As for your other questions...

A hyperskill is a superpowered skill. It uses the same general rules as skills - narrow focus, normally does not have a power capacity beyond what the stat already offers, normally has only a single power capacity. Hyperskills particularly have a cheap cost, because they can be shut off much easier than your normal skills, and they by definition require a narrow focus. In this case, we can make a very simple tweak of your existing power - the Mass capacity is already handled by whatever the character has for a body stat, so that leaves things more or less how you had them.

Arm Mace - Body Hyperskill
7d + Body Stat die pool
Power Qualities and [Capacities]: None (Attack Hyperskill, Capacity limited by relevant stat)
Extras: Penetration +2
Flaws: Limited Damage(Shock) -1
Cost: 1 hyperskill + 2 extras - 1 flaws = 2 points / die
Description: Your forearm becomes a blunt instrument capable of dealing shock damage to an enemy.

Now if you wanted this to be a part of the character's body, add Native Power as an extra, bringing you to 3 points per die.

Thanks for the example, I'd love read any other characters you have lying around.

I actually have my ripoff of Infamous electricity superhero ready to post, I can perhaps throw him up later.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 04:33:38 PM »
As I would like to run Heroes of New Arcadia at some point in the future, this character is written with that setting in mind. Feel free to steal him for your game, he's a fun antihero or villain too.

The Oncoming Storm

Alton Sirrus was a normal man with a chip on his shoulder until the day everything changed. A former architecture student at a local college, Alton dropped out to take care of his younger sister and pay for her education after the untimely death of their parents. Attempts to augment his income through gambling led to massive debts owed to the wrong people, and to try to continue to keep his sister afloat and pay his debts he worked as a low-level enforcer and second-story man for the Syndicate. After a long period of stress and continual upsets following his series of poor financial decisions, he developed a persecution complex and began to develop an unhealthy obsession with developing 'control' of his situation. When the Syndicate sent him and a group of other enforcers to harass one of their pet superscientists, working on a bioelectric augmentation field, Alton saw his chance and took it. The half-finished device exploded, taking most of the lab, the scientist, and the other enforcers with it, leaving Alton badly burned and possessing strange electrical powers. He now stands in a delicate situation - his powers allow him to do great good, but also in the dangerous position of being able to act on his 'control' fantasies.

Alton is actively being hunted by the Syndicate for his double cross and by the city police for his part in the lab explosion. He's taken his beloved sister into what safety he can obtain, but has not let her know the full scope of the problem yet.

Alton Sirrus
Archetype: Oncoming Storm
250 point character

Source: Genetic (5) (Free)
Permissions: Power Theme (Lightning) (5)
Intrinsics: No Willpower, No Way -5; Requires Daily Charge -1; Allergy (Common, Incapacitating) Sizable Amounts of Water -4; Mutable 15 (5)
10 points spent on Archetype

Will:
Base Will: 8 (3 bought)
Willpower: 8
Loyalty: Lucy Sirrus 4
Passion: Control 4
Total cost of Base Will: 9

Stats:
Body 3
-Athletics 3 (6d)
-Brawl 3 (6d)

Coordination 3
-Stealth 4 (7d)

Sense 3
-Perception 1 (4d)
-Scrutiny 1 (4d)

Mind 4
-Architecture 2 (6d)
-Security Systems 1 (5d)
-Research 4 (8d)
-Gambling 0 (Hasn't stopped him from trying) (4d)

Charm 2

Command 3
-Stability 2 (5d)
-Intimidate 2 (5d)

90 points spent on Stats, 46 points spent on Skills

Powers:
Lightning Storm 1d+1wd (Miracle - Create Electricity)
Qualities: ADU
14 points/die, 70 points total

Attacks (Lightning Blast)
Capacities: Range - 20 yards
Extras: Attacks +1; Spray +2; Electrocuting +1
Flaws: Obvious -1
UNLIMITED POWER!!!

Defends (Lightning Field)
Capacities: Self, Range - 20 yards
Extras: Extra Power Capacity (Range) +2; Spray +2; Interference +3
A field of charged energy can protect Alton and those he deems useful.

Useful (Charge Bolt)
Capacities: Range - 20 yards
Extras: N/A
Alton can charge or overcharge an object, or he can siphon power from the grid to kickstart his powers.

Immunity: Electricity 2hd (Miracle - Immunity)
Qualities: U
1 point/die, 4 points total
Useful (Immunity)
Capacities: Self (Range)
Extras: Permanent +4
Flaws: Self Only -3; Always On -1; Obvious -1
Alton is immune to electrical shocks and his own lightning.

Shock Therapy 3d (Miracle - Heal)
Qualities: U+2
1 point/die, 3 points total
Useful (Healing Touch)
Capacities: Touch (Range)
Extras: Useful +2
Flaws: Touch Only -2; Obvious -1
Alton can stimulate enhanced healing through mild and specifically directed electrical jolts.

Field Transfer 2d (Miracle - Teleport)
Qualities: U+2
1 point/die, 2 points total
Useful(Teleportation)
Capacities: Range - 2000 yards
Extras: Booster (Range) +2; No Physics +1; Useful +2
Flaws: Delayed Effect -1; Exhausted -3; Obvious -1
Alton can unreliably teleport a decent distance, but it takes 2 rounds after activation to occur.

Storm Armor 2hd (Miracle - Medium Armor)
Qualities: D
4 points/die, 16 points total
Defends (Medium Armor)
Capacities: Self
Extras: Permanent +4; Interference +3
Flaws: Always On -1; Armored Defense -2; Medium Armor -1; Obvious -1
Alton's body is now supernaturally tough, and reacts to violence with fortification and a crackling burst of electricity.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:35:54 PM by SageNytell »

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
Arm Mace (2/die) 7d (14)
Power Qualities and [Capacities]: Attack[Mass]
Attacks Extra's and Flaws: Reduced Capacities -1, Limited Damage(Shock) -1, Penetration +2
7d + Body Stat die pool
Power Qualities and [Capacities]: None (Attack Hyperskill, Capacity limited by relevant stat)

So to know what the capacity for knock back is, we would look at his body stat first which I would want to be around 5 dice, I would actually drop his arm mace power to about 3-4 dice so i'd be rolling about 9 dice.

So instead of starting cost of 2 for the attack quality we start with 1 and add and subtract from there per normal.

We would follow the normal knockback rules as given in the book. I will have to look into those and fine tune it further but this is a perfect start.

So as a test to see if I learned properly.

Skewer - Body Hyperskill
4d + Body Stat die pool
Extras: Penetration +3
Cost: 1 hyperskill + 3 extras = 4 points / die
Description: Your forearm transforms into a sharp tipped instrument capable of dealing width in shock and killing to an enemy.

4d + Body Stat die pool
Description: Your forearm becomes a blunt instrument capable of dealing width in shock damage to an enemy.

Are these accurate depictions of what a hyper skill would be like? I forgot to note that these powers come from a shape shifting nature to be honest my main inspiration for this character is Alex Mercer from Prototype.
I'm just not sure if I should be going with a larger scale Shapeshift power with Variable Effect and then just use that to create blade arms, wings to fly, copying peoples appearances and such, so for now I'm just buying them individually to learn how to build powers.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 12:46:21 AM »
Some Sample Powers I've been working on these are for a Hero named "Slick"

Bind (2/Die) 4hd (16 pts.)
Qualities: Useful
Useful Extras and Flaws: Power Capacity (Mass) +2, Slow -2
Capacities: Mass, range.
Effect: As Bind in the book only usable every other round. Takes the form of glue like mucus.

Solvent (1/Die) 2hd (4 pts)
Qualities: Useful(Dud)
Effect: Slick has the ability to dissolve any chemical binding agent with a touch.

Slip N' Slide (3/Die) 3hd (18 Pts)
Qualities: Useful, Attacks+2
Useful Capacities: Speed
Attack Capacities: Mass
Useful Extras and Flaws: Slow -2
Attack's Extras and Flaws: Limited Damage (Shock) -1, Slow -2, Daze +1, Scattered Damage -1
Effects: Slick can coat himself in a greasy substance that allows him to slide along the ground at high speed. He can slide into an enemy to deal Width+2 in Shock Damage. Also any target damaged by this attack has their dice pools reduced by a number equal to the width of Slip N' Slides Roll.

Grease (3/Die)
Qualities: Useful,Useful
Useful 1 Extra's and Flaws: Power Capacity (Mass) +2, Slow -2, If/Then -1
Useful 2 Extra's and Flaws: Interference +3, Slow -2 If/Then -1,
Useful 1 Capacities: Range, Mass
Useful 2 Capacities: Range
Effect:
(Useful 1) Your power can be used to Disarm an enemy at range. Opponent makes a Dodge + Coordination check to avoid being Disarmed.
(Useful 2) Your Power can be used to impede your enemy's actions, roll your Grease Dice pool and reduce your opponents dice pool by the width of your roll.

I'm not sure if the Power Capacity Mass is necessary on the first application of Useful for grease but I left it in just in case.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:43:55 PM by Flawless P »

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
The attack hyperskills are correct. There's a good example in the book about making 'unbreakable claws' using modifications to the normal brawling hyperskill. If one extrapolates from there and uses the fact that it's a hyperskill and not a normal skill being modified, the powers you created should be correct.

Your math for Slip N' Slide might need some review. When I added up the flaws and extras, I came to 2 points / die, with both power qualities ending up net one point each.

Fun concept! Icky for the fellow on the receiving end, I would have to guess.  ;D

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 10:24:34 PM »
The attack hyperskills are correct. There's a good example in the book about making 'unbreakable claws' using modifications to the normal brawling hyperskill. If one extrapolates from there and uses the fact that it's a hyperskill and not a normal skill being modified, the powers you created should be correct.

Your math for Slip N' Slide might need some review. When I added up the flaws and extras, I came to 2 points / die, with both power qualities ending up net one point each.

Fun concept! Icky for the fellow on the receiving end, I would have to guess.  ;D

Thanks for pointing that out!

I'm terrible about checking my work.

I am thinking of giving some of his power the Obvious flaw to show that he leaves behid a film and can be tracked by his powers use.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:29 PM »
Theoretically I was a math major, once upon a time, as well as being a former newspaper editor. Finding mathematical errors on this level is sort of my thing. To make things easier, I threw together my own spreadsheet in Excel that I can use at work and look like I'm busy in the rare moments I'm not on the phone - as long as I keep track of the parts that I haven't set to calculating themselves, it makes power creation and editing much simpler and finding errors much easier.

I seem to be finding the Obvious flaw ending up on a lot of my characters. I need to start challenging myself a bit more than having characters with a few points in Stealth to hide themselves until they 'go loud' and use powers that wake up the whole city.  ;D
Definitely fits with the character concept addressed with those powers, though.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »
I seem to be finding the Obvious flaw ending up on a lot of my characters. I need to start challenging myself a bit more than having characters with a few points in Stealth to hide themselves until they 'go loud' and use powers that wake up the whole city.  ;D
Definitely fits with the character concept addressed with those powers, though.

In addtion to obvious, if/then is my other favorite flaw because you can make any kind of conditional for it (like poses or yells, thus making Super Sentai or Kamen Rider).  I actually abused the hell out of that in the character I made for a possible campaign based on the Magical Girl anime genre.  I don't know what the GM's going to do with that (he made a new archetype and everything), but it should be amazing.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14gC1L-UNLrbAj4dt5gAzEvlDnaGcSY9axvM33qc5iy0/edit

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »
The more I look at Full Power Only, the more I'm convinced that it really, really shouldn't be a flaw. Like some of the extras, it's conditional, but always doing 15 SK to every hit location with two penetration on a set that might only be two width is a little silly when that damage is mostly coming from a flaw.  ???

Cool character, although you might want to remove either Slow or Exhausted from Plasma Beam. As-is, one means you can use it only once per scene and one means that you can only use it once every other round. If someone brought that character forward for review, I would probably rule that either it can only be used every other scene, or you wouldn't get points for the Slow flaw. But that's just my take on it, obviously.

Edit: Proofreading.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:27:29 PM by SageNytell »

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2012, 04:50:51 PM »
I'm interpreting full power only as no control, so the plasma beam fires its full range every time (destroying everything in its way). I fully invited the GM to bring the shitload of collateral damage in should i use that power. The jet pack works in a Greatest American Hero fashion. No hovering or anything. Just full speed until the wheels fall off.

Also the way I had intetpreted slow was that it needed a round to charge up and fired the round following (giving the target the largest window to get away or stop the shot from going off). Basically it works like any finishing move from Sentai or Kamen Rider, requiring a period of glowing and stuff before unleashing the fury.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:54:12 PM by crash2455 »

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
I fully invited the GM to bring the shitload of collateral damage in should when i use that power.

Fixed that for you, because let's be honest here, fucking plasma beam of death.

Alright, that makes a bit more sense, although with that then you'd want to switch to Delayed Effect, which does exactly what you want it to. I realize that the book explicitly uses both Slow and Exhausted on a power so Mr. Stolze could prove a point, but as-is the extras blatantly don't work together without some additional interpretation.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »
Oh right, delayed effect is another drawback I like specifically because one player used it to make a Fist of the North Star ability wherein they could hit someone and then kill them 5 seconds later 

Charlie72

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
Oh right, delayed effect is another drawback I like specifically because one player used it to make a Fist of the North Star ability wherein they could hit someone and then kill them 5 seconds later
Note it also has Deadly 2, Penetration 2, and Full power only. Also note that this is the Magical Girl game. Our girls are going to get so traumatized when they have to fight over humans. 

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
I'm still kind of new at this but  don't miracles do shock and killing by default? So deadly is only necessary for hyperskills or stats... I think

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2012, 12:59:35 AM »
There are a few contradictory statements made on the subject in the book, but yes, most of the available information states that unless you're attacking directly with a stat or hyperskill, any attack made with a power does width in Shock and Killing.

So, you might save yourself a flaw or two and take off the Deadly. That is, unless the Archetype you're using affects it somehow, or your GM is asking for it.