Author Topic: Adventure Time  (Read 12828 times)

Alexander

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Adventure Time
« on: December 07, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »
I've seen this show mentioned on the forums through the "Image Thread" and other random posts, but it hasn't gained its official post yet, so here it is.

After watching the Christmas Special, "Holly Jolly Secrets", I can't help but notice H.P. Lovecraft's influence on the show.  There are other obvious influences, like Dungeons and Dragons and post-apocalyptic settings, but Pendleton Ward ended this episode with a Lovecraftian flourish.  I don't want to give any big spoilers for the episode, so just watch it.

There are other Lovecraft nods in the show in different episodes to boot!  In "Mortal Recoil", the Ice King mentions his "stanky old wizard eyes", and then gives his point of view on the matter: http://adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/Wizard_Eyes.  This links with Lovecraft's short story, "From Beyond", where a mad scientist creates a machine that allows the user to see into planes of existence beyond reality.  The protagonist in the story sees an alien plane transposed with ours, where indescribable creatures flitter and shamble about.  The catch being, if you can see them, they can see you.

The father of Marceline, a female half-demon half-vampire, is nothing but a soul sucking horror from beyond who is summoned through an intricate ritual and banished in the same manner.

There are more examples, but these are reasons why I love watching this show.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Adventure Time
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »
Adventure Time has some of my favorite lines to use in RPGs.

The lack of clear moral lesson and strangeness of alot of the endings has inspired some of the games I've run, especially Call of Cthulhu or other dark themed games where the end result isn't always clear and doesn't wrap up all of the loose ends.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
Did someone try to run this or a similar setting in a game? Surely a Risus or Wushu Adventure Time must be tons of awesome.

SimonLucid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Don't put that in there is doesn't belong there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 11:06:06 PM »
Fan right here. I mean my freaking icon is Finn!
The question is how faggy can I get...

If you like my avatar check out Seriousbreakfasttime on deviantArt for more great works.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 11:09:48 PM »
Did someone try to run this or a similar setting in a game? Surely a Risus or Wushu Adventure Time must be tons of awesome.

I might try to do it in Monsters and Other Childish Things where everyone plays a monster.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:20:14 AM »

I might try to do it in Monsters and Other Childish Things where everyone plays a monster.

Or a pairing of a magical kid and a magical pet. ala Fiona and Cake or Finn and Jake. Rupert and Lionel.
If you think Adventure Time is Lovecraft inspired, you should see his bar Napkins.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
Finn clearly falls under monster in MAOCT.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »
I have a rant about this in the Anecdote thread but clearly there was some kind of mind reading going on, because they had an episode about the Magic Man who tormented them for a while. Everything he did in that episode was done by a player in a DnD game I ran.

Still I love the show though.

http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php?topic=44.msg22306#msg22306
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:25:04 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Z

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »
Adventures Time is a bad show and anyone that likes it or represents it in any way is a bad person.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:49:47 PM »
Adventures Time is a bad show and anyone that likes it or represents it in any way is a bad person.

Adventures Time is a cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »

Then I am a bad person. Of course, I'm a gamer so I regularly slaughter villages of NPCs and engage in nation leveling magical events. Liking Adventure Time is probably the least of my crimes.