Author Topic: The king is dead. Long live the king!!!  (Read 7568 times)

Drnathanpanke

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
The king is dead. Long live the king!!!
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »
As many of you will know by now WOTC has announced they are working on a new edition...

Article from nytimes 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/arts/video-games/dungeons-dragons-remake-uses-players-input.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Also, link from WOTC

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd%2F4ll%2F20120109
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:30:55 AM by Drnathanpanke »

BobThePaladin

• "Smite Evil! SMITE EVIL!!"
    • View Profile
Re: The king is dead. Long live the king!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »
Very interesting.  Looks like they're taking a page out of Paizo's book as far as playtesting is concerned.  I wonder how they're going to change up the rules this time?

Let the speculation begin!! 

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »
I love new editions of anything. It's more things to complain about or to complain about other people complaining about. It's the fuel that keeps internet nerds warm during the winter.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »
4e made me go 'lol no', so I'm sure 5th will be even less interesting to me.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Drnathanpanke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »
Here is an article from forbes.

I like this

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2012/01/09/wizards-announce-new-dungeons-and-dragons-an-inside-look-at-the-game/

BTW, I have and will play 0,1,2,3,3.5,3.75,4,4.5, and any other edition or Iteration of DnD. Stop arguing and just play.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:08:40 PM by Drnathanpanke »

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
Having read that, all I can say is that unless their writing and support is *IMMACULATE* like god-tier perfect, they're making a big mistake.

Trying to make the game that appeals to everyone when you have a player base as fragmented as D&D's (compare the Pathfinder/4e split) is a prospect that's nearly doomed to failure. Sure, it's possible, but the odds of it happening are slim to none.

For that reason alone, I'm skeptical. To say nothing of their track-record with flavor-text (although I've only read the first couple 4e bits, and I'm sure the later material isn't as horrible as 'lol Tieflings aren't humans with  fiendish ancestry, they're a single race of devil-infused. . . things now! Also they're all Asmodeus-look alikes'), the rules themselves are under scrutiny.

\ o /
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Addled GM

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
Eh...Wizards want to make a universal system...wait a minute...they already did that with D20.  Exept for a few standouts,  the never ending piles of crap that idea produced are still lining landfills and yellowing on game store shelves with bright stickers plastered to their covers proclaiming 90% off.

Wizards wants to continue support for 4th ed?  Yeah, sure it does.  That makes economical sense. If they do continue support it will mean competing with themselves and Piazo. This promise of support sounds more like like scraping together the shit that was on the bottom of the barrel and slapping $40.00 on it.

Anyways, they'll still be raping my wallet when it comes out as the sun-deprived child of my youth scuttles to the bookstore hoping to recapture the magic.   

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Iron Heroes 2.0
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »
Having only really "played" through the 3.5 to 4e transition, I'm curious to see the next one.  I liked the "freshness" of 4e, so I figure the next edition will be interesting enough...

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Cool, I am kind of interested to see what it looks like. (Full disclosure: didn't play 4E, only played 3.whatever because my friends bought it, unlikely to buy 5E but interested to see what they make.)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:08:32 AM »
Having only really "played" through the 3.5 to 4e transition, I'm curious to see the next one.  I liked the "freshness" of 4e, so I figure the next edition will be interesting enough...

I'm in the same boat. I enjoyed the transition and I hope the next one is just as much fun.

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »
I'm at work right now so I can't send the link over, but on the Wizards web site there is information about 5 ed and a sign up for playtesting it. If you can't find it, check my wife's comic shop facebook page, Illusive Comics and Games. There's a link for it on there.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.