Author Topic: Selective Morality  (Read 9248 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Selective Morality
« on: May 04, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »
This is something that is closely linked with Gamer Logic but I think it deserves it's own section.

Players, and by extension, their characters, do horrible things that normal people would never do. They also form bonds with other characters (usually NPCs) that are very strong and they can refuse to take what you consider to be reasonable actions.

This thread is to explore the mentality of a character (and player) who is fine with killing but will refuse to steal.

This is also to consider examples of straight up bad players who's selective morality is a tool they use to justify their choices.

Examples from RPPR would include:
  • Ross's players in Age of Masks being unwilling to steal a library book.
  • Jessica's Paladin refusing to save a fellow adventurer.
  • Tom's cannibal character in Stray Dogs' treatment of the young boy (not a straight example, as argued by Tom in a later episode).
Exceptions include such moments as:
  • Tom's anal rape of Chi Chi in the DBZ game.
  • The existance of former president Martin Van Buren.

So, list things that you or other players who know have done that seem like strange morals.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Selective Morality
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 03:41:43 PM »
I have a lot to say on this topic and no time. What I will do is tease Tad with saying, he's going to absolutely love the law section in the New World Primer, which I've been working with Ross to put together. I have around 1700 words drafted right now and the entire section promises to be around 3000. If you think moral issues are complex in most games, morality takes on a whole new meaning in a colonial setting.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 03:51:13 PM »
I have a lot to say on this topic and no time. What I will do is tease Tad with saying, he's going to absolutely love the law section in the New World Primer, which I've been working with Ross to put together. I have around 1700 words drafted right now and the entire section promises to be around 3000. If you think moral issues are complex in most games, morality takes on a whole new meaning in a colonial setting.

*see episode 18 whenever it gets posted.*
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:29:42 PM »
Hahah. That was a great debate. Background: Cortez the crazy tyrant has sent an army to lay waste to bordertown and the colony. The players want to get help from the crusaders of Pelor, who are preparing to defend just the colony, letting the native tribes and bordertown take the brunt of Cortez's wrath. The crusaders refuse to help unless the players cover up the fact that Cortez used to be a crusader of Pelor. Some of the players get angry saying 'You're lawful good and you would let all of these innocent people die?'

The crusader leader responds "Yes, because it would serve the greater good. We have to survive in order to stop Thrazidun from destroying the world and we are prepared to let a bunch of peasants and natives die in order for that to happen. Unless you swear to keep this Cortez business quiet."

A group of hardcore warriors of Pelor are willing to go AWOL in order to fight the good fight provided the players do not disrespect the church of Pelor. The players still refuse.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:57:29 PM »
It's been said before: players hate being lied to.

Apparently in this case that applies to indirect lies, like cover ups as well.

The truth will fuck us all.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 01:59:56 AM »
The group in the new world campaign has a pretty typical player morality - they take a stand and bitterly refuse to change. Instead of trying to adapt, trick, outmaneuver or shift the positions in a current dilemma, they stand their ground and oppose NPCs to the end. Best example are the players dealing with the crusaders of pelor, in particular a single inquisitor of pelor who wanted to investigate a NPC under the protection of the players. The NPC was undead but used magic to appear normal. Inquisitor wanted to find her and was being an ass about interrogating the villagers about her.

Players refused to let the inquisitor continue and a scuffle broke out. Cody got beaned on the head by a mace and the pelorite was subdued and throw into the village stocks. Players did not try to trick or redirect the priest to some other target but just stood their ground. 

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 12:09:53 AM »
I'm not so sure that Tom's character would have let us pass off the blame on someone else.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 03:23:10 AM »
I'm not so sure that Tom's character would have let us pass off the blame on someone else.

Like that ever stopped you before.