Author Topic: 1st Level Commoner Deathmatch  (Read 24141 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
1st Level Commoner Deathmatch
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
Got the idea from the Anecdote thread. Alot of systems have a "baseline" human. Commonor, peasant, laboror, citizen, whatever the get called they are all cardboard cut outs of human beings.

And I intend to see who the greatest cardboard cut out of them all is.

Everybody think of how your favorite game would depict a "1st Level Commoner" and post it below. Observiously point by systems and classless system will have a harder time but we'll manage.

Once we've gathered a few individuals we'll pit them against one another in life or death combat and we'll see what happens.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Level Commoner Deathmatch
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
Average commoner for D&D is going to be, we'll say a laborer. Bog standard, normal NPC array. Pertinent combat data only.

Str 13
Dex 11
Con 12
Wis 8
Int 10
Cha 9
AC 10
HP 8
Atk +1
Init+0
Feats: Skill Focus (chosen profession), Toughness

Dam: 1d8+1 (we'll assume they're not a total twit and using a morningstar, the best simple weapon they have access to.)

Then there's the average World of Synnibarr 'Commoner' who has 3 levels of a PC class because it's goddamn Synnibarr. . .therefore, they don't count, due to being unfairly great at everything.

M&M2e, common man is a 'Bystander'

10s in all stats, +0 to hit, AC 10, only skills are Knowledge: (Current Events) and Pop-Culture, and 4 ranks in their chosen Profession.

Note: It's possible that 'bystanders' are in fact a terrible example of a 'common man', as there are also examples for Police Officers, Fire Fighters, and other normal real-world professions that are far more competent than a faceless 'Joe Blow'.

I actually will not be surprised if the average D&D Human Commoner is more competent/dangerous than most other system/worlds ones, simply due to the fact that they tend to have to put up with  more bullshit than everyone else. Goblins and the like.

As far as the 2nd Edition Shadowrun book, the closest I can find to 'A Commoner' would be The Bartender.

Body: 4
Quickness:3
Strength: 4
Charisma: 3
Intelligence: 2
Willpower : 2
Essence: 6
Reaction:  2
Professionalism: 1

Firearms: 3
Unarmed Combat: 3
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:18:45 PM by Moondog »
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »
Wild Talents Blue Collar Worker (72 points, from Wild Talents Essential Edition Page 172)
Body 2d
Athletics 1d (3d)
Brawling 1d (3d)
Endurance 2d (4d)
Coordination 2d
Sense 2d
Mind 2d
Knowledge (Mechanics) 2d (4d)
Command 2d
Base Will 4

Bring it, bitches.

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
Edit: Whoops, double post.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:01:57 AM by SageNytell »

Patrick

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
Savage Worlds Commoner

Basic Stats
Spirit: d4
Strength: d4
Smarts: d4
Agility: d4
Vigor: d4

Derived Statistics
Pace: 6
Charisma: 0
Toughness: 4
Parry: 2

Human - One (1) Free Edge
Alertness: + 2 to all Notice rolls.

This guy is gonna get smoked...
[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »
Risus Commoner;
Denny Blaze, the average homeboy

Cliches:
15 minutes of fame - 3
White Middle Class - 3
Mullet upkeep - 2
Very creative in their own mind - 2

Tools: Youtube, credit cards, casio keyboard, mullet.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »
Okay, so we've got six, seven if we split the D&D commoner into 3.5 and Pathfinder. I'll find the stats for a level 1 commoner in 4E D&D and we'll be set for Death Match.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »
I'm going to bet that the Shadowrun 'tender will be #1 (depending on equipment; give 'em the 'ol 'shotgun behind the bar' and he's unstoppable).

Behind that, Pathfinder, then D&D 3.5, Wild Talents, with the M&M2e 'Bystander' coming in dead last.

get it? Death match. Dead. Ho ho ho, I slay me.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
Okay, here's what I've got for round one. This is a Death Match so it's single elimination, winner take all.

3.5 D&D Commoner VS. Pathfinder Commoner

Wild Talents Blue Collar Worker VS. Shadowrun "Bartender"

Savage Worlds Commoner VS. M&M Bystander

Risus Commoner VS. 4E D&D Commoner

I'll try to run through this at the game shop tonight and have a write up ASAP.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 08:30:09 PM »
Waiting impatiently.  8)
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »
Maaaannn... my horse is up against the ringer.  :(
Base will, don't fail him now!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »
First Match
Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 1st Level Commoner against Pathfinder 1st Level Commoner

Johnny: This is the big event for a lot of people gathered here today. We’ve got a representative of a long enduring engine of creative adventure up against a near mirror image from the supposedly modern version of his world. These gentleman have little in the way of empathy for one another, I think we’re going to see some serious blood here today.

Let’s go down to the arena floor with Nick Diamond.

Nick: Nick Diamond here with your ring side report. As you can tell from the character sheets not a lot of tricks in either of these contenders’ corners. Our experts are predicting both fighters to move their base speed towards each other and begin attacking.

Pathfinder does have a small edge with that +2 to any attribute and, to no one’s surprise, he’s gone ahead and put that into Strength. The Skill Focus (Farming) probably isn’t going to turn things in his favor but the Improved Initative is.

D&D on the other hand has taken that human bonus feat in another direction and grabbed Toughness, not surprising given the long bumpy read he’s probably been down since 2003.

The commoners are getting into position so we’re going back up to the booth for a bird’s eye view.

Johnny: The dice are hitting the table. D&D gets a 5 and Pathfinder a 7, giving Pathfinder a total of 11. It’s right about now that you really question the choice to go with such a front loaded feat in a single match like this.

Nick: It’s all a numbers game Johnny. The guy wanted to go first and he’s going first, you can’t deny that part of the plan succeeded.

Johnny: Pathfinder closing to melee, no surprises there.

Nick: D&D’s a little surprised but only because he’s noticing we took his morning star away. That 8 Wisdom doesn’t help much with Spot or Listen.

Johnny: First unarmed swing of the match… 5. Disappointing.

Nick: Not any prettier from ring side.

Johnny: D&D responds with a 14, easily clearing the bar of 10, and inflicts 1+1 subdual damage.

Nick: The real treat of this match is going to be the one who’s still conscious caving in the other’s head with a rock because subdual is just not going to do it.

Johnny: Pathfinder now well behind the curve, facing an enemy with higher hit points and having lost the first round advantage. Rolled comes up… 12, good enough. That’ll inflict 1+2.

Nick: In a match with this little HP that extra damage from the +2 Strength might actually make a difference.

Johnny: D&D with a 9. Pathfinder right back with an 8. D&D gets 10!

Nick: This might be it.

Johhny: Damaging coming up 2+1. That’s 0 HP for Pathfinder but that isn’t the game.

Nick: Right you are Johnny. Pathfinder is Staggered but not out and can still take a Standard action.

Johnny: Which looks like it’s going to be an attack. Oh my! 15 attack and 3+2 damage.

Nick: That throws D&D down to 0 HP but the effort of a Standard action drops Pathfinder by 1 HP and he is on the ground at -1.

Johnny: Which leaves D&D standing there like a zombie, unable to finish off Pathfinder without committing to a slow death himself. Dignity thy name is roleplaying.

Nick: It’s still good enough for the win. Nine short rounds of bleeding out and D&D moves on to the next round of this competition.

Johnny: Indeed he does. As D&D stumbles at half speed out of the ring to look for either a Cleric or someone with a positive Wisdom bonus and the Heal skill we’d like to take this chance to remind you not to drink and drive.

Johnny: Next up in our Role Playing Commoner Death Match series is Wild Talents Blue Collar Worker VS. Shadowrun "Bartender". Until then ladies and gentlemen: Good fight, good night.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:41:34 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »
MOAR!
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »
Tad,

I was proctoring a test when I read this. I started cackling like a jackass before I realized kids were looking at me. THis is like the funniest thing ever. I think RPPR should use this for the next video short.

Patrick

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »
Kick his ass D&D 3.5 errrrrhemmmm Pathfinder 0-Level Commoner!

These two will meet again, when 5th Ed. comes out!
[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]