Author Topic: Top Ten Podcast  (Read 20973 times)

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
Re: Top Ten Podcast
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 02:43:41 AM »
1. RPPR
2. Retronauts
3. Geekbox
4. Rebel FM + Game Club
5. Listen Up
6. Good Grief
7. 3.5 Private Sanctuary
8. Fear the Boot
9. A life Well Wasted
10. Accidental Survivors

I like 1up and its crew and former crew ;D There's something about Jeremy Parish. (maybe when he does voices)

alright, maze has good taste in podcast.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

Ferc

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:08:37 AM »
1.  (RPPR)
2.  Gamer: the Podcasting
3.  AnimalCast
4.  Podge Cast/ The Man Cast
5.  Wait, Wait. . . Don't Tell Me
6.  Stabbing Contest
7.  The D6 Generation
8.  The Downloadable Content from Penny Arcade
9.  Atomic Array/ Other Moonstew Productions Material
10. Fear the Boot

As you can tell, I really only listen to gaming podcast.
This is not a signature.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 12:57:13 AM »
In the "I'd sand my balls than listen to another episode" category:

Barbarian Dojo (seriously, that intro music... if you can even call it that...)

Save against frostbite - Fuck those guys.. I don't even remember why

This Modern Death - I use to like it but then it became apparent that they didn't know much about anything but had pre-conceived notions

Listened to any of them?

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »
I listen to Save Against Frostbite occasionally.  They're okay, but honestly I think they try too hard to be edgy with their "yeah, we went there" moments.  I did enter in their logo contest earlier this month, though.

As for podcasts, I'm not going to rate them 1-10, but I will give the 10 I listen to most often:
  • Bear Swarm! Podcast
  • Brilliant Gameologists
  • Fear the Boot
  • The Game Master Show
  • The Independent Insurgency
  • The Podge Cast
  • Radio Free Hipster
  • RPPR
  • RPGMP3 Community Podcast
  • Theory From the Closet

I also subscribe to Ask A Ninja, Decoder Ring Theater, Save Against Frostbite, Radio Lab, and IPR's Voice of the Revolution.

I used to listen to Dragons Landing and Geek By Night, but they both haven't had any new content in months.

EDIT: Woohoo,  I won the SAF logo contest!  Free RPG book, here I come!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:41:24 AM by Sean-o-tron »

editrix

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • not to put too fine a point on it
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »
1.  RPPR
2.  Doug Benson's I Love Movies
(you might have to search around for it, but his "final episode" from 2007 is one of the funniest things I've heard anywhere)
3.  Jordan, Jesse GO! 
(good if you like "funny guys talkin' about stuff" type podcasts)
4.  You Look Nice Today 
(see above - it's Merlin Mann's podcast)
5.  The Sound of Young America 
(public radio interview show)
6.  Comedy Death Ray Radio 
(podcast of Scott Aukerman's show on Indie 103.1 - only four episodes so far, but great guests)
7.  WOTC Podcasts 
(pretty much just the 4e actual play episodes.  I laughed until I peed (just a little) at "Wheaton's Cockpunch of Furious AngerTM")
8.  Overwhelming Positivity 
(another along the lines of #s 3 & 4, but there's a lady)
9.  This American Life
10. The Splendid Table

First post; be nice.  Also, hi!
Lookin' very lawful good today.

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »
1. RPPR
2. Quiet! Panalologists at Work
3. The Hat Decides
4. Bearswarm!
5. The Podge Cast
6. Yog Radio
7. Cthulhu Podcast
8. The Return to Northmoor
9. Briliant Gameologists
10. The Game Master Show
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 10:25:23 PM »
I'd like to add that I've started listening to Yog Radio and think it's quite good. It's the only real podcast I listen to that's based outside of North America, which is cool. I've also gone and downloaded all of the Penny Arcade podcasts. Not the D&D ones that Wizards hosted (which were a lot of fun), but their actual comic podcasts. I finally found a link on their site that let me get them all. They're damned funny and it's interesting hearing what goes into making one of the comics.

As far as podcasts that I can't stand, I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say that I don't like Fear the Boot. Though I do think that they have good things to say and are quite knowledgeable about gaming and running games, their attitudes quite frequently tick me off. The feel really... elitist and kind of condescending to me.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »
I'd like to add that I've started listening to Yog Radio and think it's quite good. It's the only real podcast I listen to that's based outside of North America, which is cool. I've also gone and downloaded all of the Penny Arcade podcasts. Not the D&D ones that Wizards hosted (which were a lot of fun), but their actual comic podcasts. I finally found a link on their site that let me get them all. They're damned funny and it's interesting hearing what goes into making one of the comics.

As far as podcasts that I can't stand, I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say that I don't like Fear the Boot. Though I do think that they have good things to say and are quite knowledgeable about gaming and running games, their attitudes quite frequently tick me off. The feel really... elitist and kind of condescending to me.

could you elaborate on this? I haven't listened to them enough to say one way or the other

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 11:15:35 PM »

could you elaborate on this? I haven't listened to them enough to say one way or the other

I can chime-in on this. I had downloaded and listened to all of their shows, and I think when the show was newer and more raw that it had a lot more life. It is a round table show, and early on it had some great chemistry too, but eventually several hosts just disappeared without so much as a peep.

I also think Dan has developed into a very controlling and regimented primary host. I prefer a more fluid and naturally progressing show.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 12:20:37 AM »

I can chime-in on this. I had downloaded and listened to all of their shows, and I think when the show was newer and more raw that it had a lot more life. It is a round table show, and early on it had some great chemistry too, but eventually several hosts just disappeared without so much as a peep.

I also think Dan has developed into a very controlling and regimented primary host. I prefer a more fluid and naturally progressing show.

This is certainly part of it. Dan runs that ship awfully tight and it's become less interesting because of it. There's such a stranglehold on the topics at hand that you completely lose the sense that it's supposed to be a podcast about ~gaming~. The best podcasts I've heard are ones where you almost feel like you're sitting in on some friends talking about stuff. That sort of chemistry is long long gone there.

My other issue is far more subjective in that it seems to me that if you don't like the game styles that they do or you play games they don't like, you're beneath them. If you don't agree with them, you're WRONG. It's not about having fun, it's about technically proficient roleplaying. Not everybody is going to take that same impression as I do, it completely put me off after a while.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 12:43:05 AM »
So what is their style and what is beneath them?

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 01:27:38 AM »
I don't remember a lot of specifics as it's been a a couple of years since I listened (I bailed when the episode numbers where in the 60s). The style seemed very technically proficient and cold, for lack of a better way to describe it. Focusing more on being a good and/or efficient GM or player rather than having fun. It was all very serious business, that I recall.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 01:47:56 AM »
Interesting, I didn't get that "elitism" impression at all since. It does feel a bit too tightly run though.

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 12:12:47 AM »
I don't expect everybody to see it exactly as I'm seeing it. I totally understand if people disagree with my interpretation of their presentation or attitude. It's just something I particularly seem to see in their podcast and I don't listen to it anymore because of it.