Author Topic: Gencon 2013  (Read 4945 times)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
Gencon 2013
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:31:25 AM »
Okay I know this is incredibly early to broach this BUT being from the UK I had given up all hope of ever going to Gencon.
Until now.
Fortunately due to a change of circumstance, I will be able to attend for one time only come 2013.

To put this simply does anyone have any sage advice for me or anyone else in this situation in their "once-in-a-lifetime" chance to go to this awesome convention?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Gencon 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:25:41 AM »
If it's the only time you'll get to go you should try to plan out what you do and don't want so you don't waste any time.

I can't offer you much in the way of extra impressive stuff, I've always stuck with the simpler things at the convention. True Dungeon is considered a great event. I heard rumors it was shutting down but I can't confirm or deny them.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »
The real trick is to just keep an eye out on the dates and timeline. Registering early is half the battle, for housing, and events. Plus getting your plane ticket early enough for savings. If you "like" GenCon on face book they update enough to remind you of the dates, or you can sign up for the email newsletter. But jump on those dates, otherwise you'll end up spending the con 3 miles outside of Indy.

Be prepared for hidden costs. Breakfast, cigarettes (if you smoke), parking, bribes for police (jk).
Different weather, could change- if there is a lot of construction there will be DUST in the air. Bring sunglasses.
The Hall will be cool, but outside will be hot. Zip off sorts?

Go grocery shopping or pack food. You don't want to be eating Con hotdogs or spending too much money at crazy places.

OKay you have to experience True Dungeon at least once.
Go for the puzzle centric one rather than the combat one. The combat is not as fun as the puzzles. The puzzles play out like a fantasy themed team building exercise.
If you want to do True Dungeon you should put it Number 1 priority on your wish list, it sells out quickly.

There are many activities.
Getting a beer at The Ram is awesome, they redo the restaurant to be fantasy themed (or steampunk or whatever).
My buddy Charlie spends most of his time in the card game and wargames Hall.
I like to play in as many RPGs as I can.
There is also a board game library, scavenger hunt, arts and crafts, yoga, LARPing, a couple of Dances, speed dating, so many things.

Browse the event catalog so you can get a taste of what the events and system are like at the moment. They'll also have maps and things.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:25:43 PM »
Enjoy your game post-singularity!
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become