Author Topic: Fear Itself! Monster creation?  (Read 5258 times)

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Fear Itself! Monster creation?
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
Been thinking of using the Fear Itself rules for a game but I see that there is no actual content or really any tips on creating your own monsters, and so, the question is this, is there a monster creation guide for fear itself, either with the book of unremitting horror or somewhere online? or is it somewhere in the core book that Im just missing?
Liquid Water?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
Re: Fear Itself! Monster creation?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
Any advice on monster creation is also welcome.
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:54:19 PM »
There aren't any hard and fast rules for Fear Itself. However, Night's Black Agents (also a gumshoe game) has very detailed rules for creating vampires and other monsters.

I'd just eyeball whatever you make for Fear Itself. Do you have a concept in mind?

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »
Several actually, one in particular is a spectral revenant akin to Jason Voorheese but also similar to a Sasquatch (covered in hair, underneath a parka). It's face is cover by a makeshift bent STOP sign mask and it wields the metal sign post with the concrete base at the end as a club. It's called the Traffic Man and is haunting a northern resort town. Can vanish without a trace.
Liquid Water?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »
Generally you make up an ability for a monster and assign a point cost using the Aberrance pool that monsters generally possess.

Aside from that, just asign General skills that fit the character and remember that in general a monster refreshes if it isn't in scene for at least one scene, with the possible exception of health.

Assume the average attack from a weapon will do ~3 damage (less armor), guess how many weapon attacks should kill the monster (if it can be killed) and multiply the values to get its health pool.

Scuffle ratings are likely to be high with most monsters and they'll probably get a damage bonus of some kind.

Consider any special abilities you want and give them an Aberrance cost, usually between 1-3, and assign the monster an Aberrance rating based on how horrible, inhuman, or unknowable it is.