Author Topic: Thoughts on Smartphones/Tablets  (Read 7441 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Smartphones/Tablets
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »
As I have before, I am curious to get some thoughts or suggestions from y'all on new technology I am considering purchasing.  Thinking about grabbing a smartphone or small tablet to help me keep organized and whatnot.  The main points would obviously be to be able to handle calendars (synced from Google) and email.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Boyos

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Smartphones/Tablets
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:31:08 AM »
I don't use tablets, but for years I've been using HTC phines and I love them. I'm currently on an HTC EVO 4G. Love it, sprints coverage could be better but most of the time I have no issues. I do everything on my phone. It's hooked up to my gmail, Facebook, (I have them auto sync), Twitter, photo bucket, yahoo mail.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 02:55:01 AM »
I have a Motorola Atrix 2 with AT&T. It's pretty decent. All the photos I took in China and Gencon were taken with it. However, if I had the cash I'd probably get a Galaxy Nexus straight from Google https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa&feature=device-featured#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIwMiwibnVsbC1mZWF0dXJlZF9kZXZpY2VzX1VTX18xX3Byb21vXzEzNDA1MTg5NjUwMzYiXQ..

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:17:25 AM »
I absolutely love my Galaxy S2, and I've heard good things about the S3 from my students. If I had extra money, I'd probably look into getting a 10" Galaxy Tab.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:40:04 AM »
If I was to get a tablet I think I would get the iPad. Sadly there app market is just better. I love my droid, but there's apps I want off Apple.

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
If you are going to do a lot of reading, tablets are great. The bigger screen is very nice, but the cost is carrying the thing around. A smartphone fits in your pocket, but I find browsing, tweeting to be a little annoying on it.

I guess I would get the phone first, since it can do email, calender, etc. Its mobile and its a phone, so you'll get some use out of it.

ThadExMachina

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • I put these words inside your brain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
My mother has a Galaxy S3, which I find to be rather hilarious. But it seems like a solid phone.

I have an EVO 4G. Sprint's coverage could'a been better back in Springfield, but it is still a helluva phone. And I rooted it, because why not? I brought it with me to China as well, though I don't use it as a phone anymore. (Had I known I would be leaving the states, I probably would have invested in a phone with a SIM card.) I use it as a mini-tablet of sorts and to hop online when there's wi-fi hotspots about.
"You who read me, are you sure you understand my language?"
--Jorge Luis Borges