Author Topic: Things Players have destoryed in Round 1  (Read 9571 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Things Players have destoryed in Round 1
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
Inspired by Tom's Star Destroyer story (newest podcast episode) I wanted to do a thread about the things players have managed to utterly destory by luck, rules mistakes, or power gaming, in basically one round of combat.

The one that stands out for me is a Warhammer 40K game were I had the players encounter a demon bound inside of the body of an dead Inquisitor. Built up to it the whole game and when the final fight came up they put a sword through its chest in the first round that basically killed it. Oops.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Things Players have destoryed in Round 1
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
I have a two parter regarding this.

In the first DnD campaign I ever played we spent the entire campaign running from this really powerful clan leader who was trying to kill one of our party members, it was gritty and we spent a lot of time not being able to even enter most towns because he would find us.

Until finally we decided to ambush him because we didn't want to run any more. Our GM had designed the fight to take us to our limits. Our GM even said, I want people to die in this fight, it's the culmination of the entire campagin. We broke his magic Katana and monkey stomped him in one round.

It was still a cool fight in a lot of ways but I don't think any of us even got hit.

Part 2 of that:

We return to do the sequal to what has been dubbed "The Asian Campaign" because we lack originality(the first campaign I ran is known as "The Evil Campaign"). So we make our triumphant return as the heroes of Fantasy Asia. Our former GM is now a player in the campaign while a former party member takes over as the GM. We are higher level players at this point around 14th level. I am a Paladin, we have 2 samurai(the Oriental Adventure one not the really bad one), a Cleric, A monk, and a Wu Jen.

The campaign begins with us going to an unexplored tainted portion of the map, where we are being besiged by a giant shapeshifting spider and an army of over 30 low level demons.

We rallied the towns folk who lived on the fringe of the tainted land and prepared them for the worst.

The battle came and we stood our ground being charged down by an army.

Cleric initiative uses an AoE spell that nearly kills all the little ones.

Wu Jen initiative AoE finishes off all the little ones and massively wounds the shapeshiting spider.

Monk initiative charges the spider and hits it with a table from the local tavern. Kills it.

My Inititive... What about my BMX?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
In the final battle of what became a mini campaign, my players one-shotted the big bad through some incredibly lucky rolls. What made it even weirder was that the big bad's nooks proceeded to also roll really well and wreck the party harder than I ever expected. The players still came out victorious, but damn did those mooks avenge their master.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:33:43 PM »
There was also a game I was a player in where we fought a mutated giant Ettercap, it was a huge creature and had a ton of HP and armor ect.

We killed it  in one turn. My Sorc and the party wizard both dropped our strongest damage spells on it. Then the Ranger, Fighter and Rogue all attacked it.

Ranger Nat 20 crit with a bow rolled max damage for a total of 33 damage

Fighter crit with his Great Sword rolled max damage as well for another 36.

Rogue sneak attack rolled nearly max and did another 22

Thing was staggered by the two consecutive fireballs so when the beat sticks got in there it got exactly one round.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:57:14 PM »
taking out Call of Cthulhu's Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight via gasoline truck :3

ended the adventure  -- so GMs, beware of sensible players :3
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:52:36 PM by QuickreleasePersonalitY »
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
Just remembered a classic one from RPPR history:

The Modern Day League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, session 2: Tom, as the med student who got hold of The Lizard formulation vs. Destro from G.I. Joe.

One Impaling attack and off the wire bridge Destro went.

Especially funny because while Destro had gotten some screen time during the game it was the first time Tom's character and him had met.

Atlas

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 02:06:08 AM »
In one DnD game I played in we were all evil characters tasked by Vecna to destroy the leaders of other religions. Our first task was to take down this pretty epic arch-priest, my elf rogue walked in, asked him for a confession, he agreed but strangely did not ask for my weapons to be removed even though all the Paladins in the temple detected my evil aura. As I was confessing my gravest sins to him I unsheathed my weapons and double critted him.

I beat the first arc of the campaign in one attack. Good times. Then I walked out with blood all over my clothes, and got a 31 on my Stealth check.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:46 PM »
In one DnD game I played in we were all evil characters tasked by Vecna to destroy the leaders of other religions. Our first task was to take down this pretty epic arch-priest, my elf rogue walked in, asked him for a confession, he agreed but strangely did not ask for my weapons to be removed even though all the Paladins in the temple detected my evil aura. As I was confessing my gravest sins to him I unsheathed my weapons and double critted him.

I beat the first arc of the campaign in one attack. Good times. Then I walked out with blood all over my clothes, and got a 31 on my Stealth check.

"In one DnD game I played in we were all evil characters tasked by Vecna to destroy the leaders of other religions. Our first task was to take down this pretty epic arch-priest, "

I started to wonder if you were a member of my current gaming group. Our last campaign was as Cult of Vecna. We were destroying the leaders of different churches.

We had a rogue with Kukri who liked to crit sneak attack people. We didn't kill anyone through confession though. We did kill the hell out of the head cleric of Boccab by poisoning him then jumping him all together.

That was a 1 rd fight also.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
...even though all the Paladins in the temple detected my evil aura. As I was confessing my gravest sins to him I unsheathed my weapons and double critted him.

"Hey, did that evil guy finish his confession yet?"

"I think he must still be in there. I haven't seen him come out."

"Well when he does come out ask him if he saw the guy who was in there before him because somebody's tracked bloody footprints from the confession booth all the way across the marble to the exit."

Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »

"Hey, did that evil guy finish his confession yet?"

"I think he must still be in there. I haven't seen him come out."

"Well when he does come out ask him if he saw the guy who was in there before him because somebody's tracked bloody footprints from the confession booth all the way across the marble to the exit."

Haha pretty much! I think after I left the temple I did get arrested on something completely unrelated so my stealth check was for naught.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:48:45 PM by Atlas »

Ezechiel357

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »
It was GURPS Super game, with 500 PC characters.

My character did not have any offensive power, but was a decent shooter, although without any superpowers linked to it.

The big bad guy was ultrafast running up and down buildings.

Me:  "Well, I load a 6th bullet in my gun and shoot" (my PC was careful and was only having 5 bullets in his gun, to prevent from shooting himself accidentally).
DM: "X malus because of speed, distance,..."
Me: 3 (on 3d6), "err... crit, I hit"
DM: "Grumph, ok, roll location"
Me: 4 (on 3d6), "err... head shot"
DM: "Grrrrrumph, ok, roll crit effect"
Me: 18 (I believe, memory a bit fuzzy), "err... negate all armor", followed by significant damage.
DM: "You killed my 900 points NPC".

Never, never underestimate the power of a .357 Magnum. It might not be the most powerful gun, but it is the deadliest as far as I know ;-)