Author Topic: Mechanic Vs Fluff Rewards  (Read 6107 times)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
Mechanic Vs Fluff Rewards
« on: April 05, 2013, 04:39:06 AM »
This question came up recently in our national larp community -regarding rewards, as a player would you prefer a temporary mechanical bonus or a small but permanent plot specific fluff item/information/etc that has no effect re mechanics?
In the LARP the temporary mechanical bonus would be an item or ability that either has a limited lifespan or number of uses where the fluff would be something like a prop, a Title, background information, plot relevant rare information (like Cody's insight into Pontifex).
So, What's more important to you? Which reward do you value more?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:42:45 AM by Wooberman »

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic Vs Fluff Rewards
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »
It really depends on the game system and setting.

Gaining super top clearance in a military style game is a cool plot point, but in a gritty fantasy adventuring game where the players are marching from dungeon to dungeon a level or limited use magic item will probably feel more important.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
I always take the fluff. Let the dice fall as they may; I'll always look for more story.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
I'll take a one time mechanical bonus if it's interesting or powerful enough to change the outcome of a scene - a holy hand grenade or scroll of summon extraplanar being or wish spell or something fun like that.

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:30:45 PM »
I love me a cup of full flavor reward.

EndersLegend

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
I'm open to almost anything. In D&D/Pathfinder, I love a lot of the Wondrous Items more than weapons, armor, etc. I think some of my favorites are the Feather Tokens and the Hat of Disguise. The Feather Tokens were always interesting to me and I'd try to find creative uses for them. I think I managed to pin an Ogre with the tree token. I always wished for more and, I think at some point we came up with some but the list was lost unfortunately.

The Hat of Disguise has a special place in my heart. Many fun pranks were played with it.

I do like fluff rewards, however. They can throw interesting things into the story. I've had some characters gain titles fantasy games. They can provide some mechanical benefit to rolls involving social situations. People are more inclined to listen to someone with a title, or possibly hate you more. I remember a game where along with the title we were giving land.  Whatever adventure we had been on was quickly forgotten because we decided to develop the land and make it our own little fiefdom.  I believe it took from 10th to 17th level before we were done and, this DM was notoriously slow with the xp rewards.

In one World of Darkness game, I remember giving the party this property that was two levels. The bottom floor was a Chinese restaurant and the top floor had a large apartment layout. They ended up leaving most of their havens and making this a group one. They spent more game time in it than anywhere else in the story.