Author Topic: BaseRaiders  (Read 319458 times)

Ezechiel357

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: BaseRaiders
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 03:38:19 AM »
I feel a bit embarrassed with my basic questions...

I am preparing for my Friday game and I saw the Upsilon drug (p147), with a cost of 5 skill points.
If I follow the trapping process, I get: shoot (2) + Rangex2 (2), for a total of 4. Minor snag:-1, hence a total of 3 points.
The superhuman tier remove refresh, but does not impact the skill point.
Do I miss something ?

constructacon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2013, 04:01:52 AM »
If I was a prisoner sent out on a suicide mission, the first time I would get a chance to gain superpowers I would take it and then escape. How is the government controlling the PCs?

first off they all have plot device death switch in there heads. the players all know this and are cool with it.
secondly have you given any thought to how you would build a super vehicle. something like a batmobile, a batplane, or the ship from the Young Justice TV Show?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »

I am preparing for my Friday game and I saw the Upsilon drug (p147), with a cost of 5 skill points.
If I follow the trapping process, I get: shoot (2) + Rangex2 (2), for a total of 4. Minor snag:-1, hence a total of 3 points.
Do I miss something ?

Yeah, I think that's a typo then. My bad.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »
If I was a prisoner sent out on a suicide mission, the first time I would get a chance to gain superpowers I would take it and then escape. How is the government controlling the PCs?

first off they all have plot device death switch in there heads. the players all know this and are cool with it.
secondly have you given any thought to how you would build a super vehicle. something like a batmobile, a batplane, or the ship from the Young Justice TV Show?

Kerberos Club FATE edition has examples of vehicles - basically you build a strange skill with the transport and stress capacity [health] trappings and give it the focus flaw - the health counts as the vehicle, not for your character.

Rustbucket

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »

Do I miss something ?
Yeah, I think that's a typo then. My bad.

Speaking if which Hellfire also seems to be missing a cost entirely. Should be about 10 points yes?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:12:02 PM by Rustbucket »
Power Armor: They don't build it like they used to... trust me I've looked for replacement parts.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2013, 03:02:20 AM »
yes 10 points. many typos. such sorry. wow

Rustbucket

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2013, 03:10:35 AM »

Not Typos. You're just making us better at learning the system by leaving little logic puzzles for us throughout the book.
Power Armor: They don't build it like they used to... trust me I've looked for replacement parts.

Rustbucket

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2013, 03:20:33 AM »
So quick question about the Variable trapping. I thought I understood but listening to the Bayou Beatdown I just wanted to clarify.

Say for example I have Variable [Scene]x3. My understanding was that it meant that three times per scene I could add up to 3 points of trappings to the skill it was attached to, each time replacing the previous set.

From the podcast it seemed like instead it means I could change variable up to 3 times but as soon as I used an instance of variable it was locked in for the remainder of the scene.

Then again I could have misheard it completely. ..

Ezechiel357

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2013, 06:20:16 AM »

If you used the Kerberos calculation sheet, it adds by default Information and Network, for an extra 2 points. So if you forget to remove them manually, you end up with a skill worth 2 points more.

Now I remember reading somewhere that power costed an additional 2 points, but I cannot find where and it is definitely not used in the example given with the IT Guru, so I might be mixing up thing.

Claive

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »
If this is the typo thread :-)

On page 151 under skilled, the sentance trails off?

Skilled

Receive another 5 skill points. You may take this

Theme
"No labyrinth is inescapable" -Gantz

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »
I plan on running an introductory scenario for Base Raiders at my FLGS soon to boost awareness and spread the fun!  I initially thought about using Transit, but I wanted to toss out another idea for something shorter that would lead right into using powers and combat.

Here is my idea:  the players begin the scenario on a tour of a football stadium.  I am torn as to whether or not football is still an active sport (not sure what is more appropriate in the Base Raiders universe).  The result will be the same:  underneath the stadium is the team's secret lab, where the owners have been secretly giving the players super soldier drugs in order to win.

So, the players are taking a tour, and the city is attacked.  The group attacking is using crazy seismic power stuff to cause an earthquake, and the collapsing stadium opens up a path to the underground lab.  In the lab, there are LOTS of powers sorted by numbers 1-100 (to correspond to the football player's number), each with a different ability (e.g., massive strength for linemen, bull-rushing for running backs, crazy speed and dexterity for receivers, etc..).  The players would then use those powers to escape and join the fight above ground.

Any suggestions?  Again, this is just a very simple, very brief scenario intended to get players cool powers and use them quickly.  I thought the football theme would give them an easy way to guess the powers so they can play with the abilities and have fun with those right away.  I don't want it to be something that starts a campaign, but just something to get players used to the rules and "sold" on the idea.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:46:22 PM by PaulyMuttonchops »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2013, 07:58:10 PM »
I don't see any problems with football still being popular.

As for the scenario, how do you make sure each player only gets one dose? What's to keep one player from taking them all?

Rustbucket

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
While football is still played if you want to spice things up you can do what every "bad" 90s Sci-Fi show did. Have an illegal underground sports ring for the super rich. Yes they as football here, but on certain night they play TK-ball, free for all Calvin - Ball nights where any power goes and the rules change constantly,  or even Quidditch with real magic brooms. They can find the announcers notes which list player, power, and equipment. Just a thought.

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »
I like the idea of the underground football league.  It would be like the XFL, only some people could actually care!  And a baddie called "HE HATE ME" would be a sweet villain.

Maybe the evil duders attacking the city would be the underground league players rebelling for their paltry wages? 

As far as ensuring the players only take one dose, I WOULD allow them to take more.  HOWEVER, all the skills they would gain would have a major Snag flaw, taking the form of some type of brain damage (lol football).  So a player could take several doses, but using them would them turn into a mindless battlerager that would probably retard their brain for an extended period of time afterwards (whereas one dose/skill would only cause a migraine for a few rounds after use).  This information would be conveyed via a lab tech NPC stuck in the lab, or through hilarious "danger" labels and posters.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Don't worry about players ODing on super powers - that's what the power interaction rules are for - what I am asking is how do you prevent a player from grabbing (but NOT using) all of the drugs so they can sell them on black market - i.e. what Caleb did in Transit?