Author Topic: BaseRaiders  (Read 320106 times)

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: BaseRaiders
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »
Then the next game becomes finding a patsy and turning them in for a reward?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »
Then the next game becomes finding a patsy and turning them in for a reward?

SpiegelGeist

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
Hello everyone,
     I'm a really big fan of Base Raiders and I've wanted to play for awhile. I've finally been able to show my best friend the book, and he loved the setting and concept of the game. The problem is neitherbof us has ever played, let alone ran a tabletop RPG. Would anyone be willing to offer any good help and/or advice that could help us (and 2-3 others) play our very first TTRPG? Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated. In any case, I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.
     Also, do I need to buy a Strange Fate book to run the game in the first place?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:58:59 PM by SpiegelGeist »

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »
Hello everyone,
     I'm a really big fan of Base Raiders and I've wanted to play for awhile. I've finally been able to show my best friend the book, and he loved the setting and concept of the game. The problem is neitherbof us has ever played, let alone ran a tabletop RPG. Would anyone be willing to offer any good help and/or advice that could help us (and 2-3 others) play our very first TTRPG? Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated. In any case, I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.
     Also, do I need to buy a Strange Fate book to run the game in the first place?

Everything is self-contained in the Base Raiders core book, no extras needed, though you should totally grab the supplemental PDFs.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »
You need Base Raiders and at least one set of fate dice to play: http://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-dice/

If you buy the Print + PDF combo, you get a print copy and a PDF that you can share with your friends so everyone can read up on the rules. http://www.baseraiders.com/store/

There are premade characters in the book you can use to play, although character creation can be fun.

I would recommend getting the book, reading it, and trying to make a character for yourself first. That will give you specific questions to ask here and we can answer them.

Once you make a character, make another, and have them fight each other so you can figure out the combat rules. You can also use the NPCs described in the Zombie Factory chapter as enemies to fight.

Once you do that, you can make up an adventure or wait for Boiling Point to come out.

Tomsawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2014, 12:10:37 AM »
I recomend using the base creation rules for making adventures, its how you end up with cyber-yetis   ;D

Jace911

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2014, 09:15:01 PM »
Hello everyone,
     I'm a really big fan of Base Raiders and I've wanted to play for awhile. I've finally been able to show my best friend the book, and he loved the setting and concept of the game. The problem is neither of us has ever played, let alone ran a tabletop RPG. Would anyone be willing to offer any good help and/or advice that could help us (and 2-3 others) play our very first TTRPG?

Wing it.

Seriously, it pays to have a rough outline and some notes but no plan. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how hilariously well things turn out.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »
The BAMF podcast just posted an AP of Base Raiders! http://mikelaff.podbean.com/e/base-raiders-actual-play/

LordofNaught

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
Is this the thread I'd come to if I wanted to throw around ideas for a BaseRaiders character? I have a couple of very basic ideas, and while I don't see myself playing the game anytime soon (nor do I have much knowledge of the system) I would like to at least discuss the ideas I have.
"What lies beyond the end? Just another day at the office."

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2015, 10:16:37 PM »
Yeah, totally! Post what you got and I'm sure you'll get some feedback.

LordofNaught

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »
Here's idea number one:

Urban Knight (based off a picture from the Image Thread). Either a retired SWAT officer or a soldier coming back from the Middle East who had to stop over in either England or Ireland on the way back to the States. While there, he came across an old sword, which he somehow managed to get back home. Compelled to take some kind of action against the crime the regular police can't handle in the post-Ragnarok world, he created the persona of the Urban Knight, making a mixture of knight armor and modern tactical gear with a riot shield. He operated by night of course, fighting malevolent Base Raiders or anyone or anything else that would be a threat to the populace. His goal is to become a true knight, ceremony and everything.

Now if it was Ireland he went to, the sword is the Claiomh Solais (Sword of Light) and if England, Excalibur. These allow him to do harm to supernatural threats at all, and down the line after unlocking their true potential would become Aspects in their own rights. Speaking of, one Aspect I know for sure he has is Clamor of Battle, or Battle's Clamor. His head becomes filled with the battle cries of past warriors and the clash of sword and shield. He can't hear anything, and is protected from psychic assault. Hopefully it would protect against social combat too, but that's for the experts to decide.

Concept 2: A highly advanced and sophisticated hunter/killer robot from another dimension by the working name of Grey, based off a character from Choujin Sentai Jetman. He was once  apart of the elite soldiers of a multi-dimensional empire, but something made him end up on Earth and in the hands of the Underground. Nowadays he makes a living selling his services to base raiders to pay for his walk in closet sized residence down there, while sampling fine wines, smoking cigars and cigarettes, and playing a piano he got down into that one cafe place somehow.

Aspect-wise he'd have knowledge of high technology and multiple dimension and traveling between, being a master tracker, expert marksman since he's a walking arsenal, and a major goal is to be able to truly feel love, and be "warm".

How do these concepts sound?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2015, 12:30:29 AM »
Well one major theme in Base Raiders is humans don't luck into their powers. You don't stumble across magical swords because that shit was locked down long ago. However, the urban knight could have bought a sword in the black market - its seller found it in a base but did not realize its true power. So why did the knight go to the black market to buy the sword? It's illegal, so what motivated him to break the law? Was it boredom, curiosity or something else?

Any powerful/badass alien would have been disappeared if it was on earth during Ragnarok, so Grey is a recent arrival. How did he get to earth? Teleporter/portal in a base? Crashed starship? Deliberately stranded there by allies who betrayed him? What are his goals? What does he want to do? Is he lost, trying to find a purpose?

LordofNaught

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2015, 06:48:22 AM »
Huh, I didn't know that, thank's for the update. As to a reason why Urban Knight would go to a black market, I'm going to say boredom and compulsion. Boredom drove him to go in first place, wanting to get his hands on some super-technology to make his life more interesting, and ended up being subtly compelled by whichever sword I go for to purchase it.

As for Grey, he would have arrived because of being stranded by allies, having made a wring choice about who to back during an attempted coup. Now that he's on Earth with the vague orders of "Secure it for the empire while we fix the mess we're in," he's chosen to obey those orders via helping Base Raiders do their thing. He knows his empire isn't going to be invading anytime soon, if at all, thanks to internal strife. As for goals, because of his relationship with an organic female member of the empire's elite, he wants to be able to actually bring comfort to someone he cares for. To be, "warm and alive." Basically, he wants to become an android, or something that would combine his robotic nature with more physical human qualities.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2015, 06:42:42 PM »
Both are great choices for the characters. Base Raiders focuses a bit more on goals and motivations for characters because the default 'to fight crime' thing isn't really mandatory. Base raiding is super illegal and risky, so you need to think why you fell into it.

LordofNaught

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:55 PM »
Can anyone think of any more development they would need, beyond the obvious stuff of being adjusted for the system? If nothing else I would like to see the ideas put out there.