Author Topic: BaseRaiders  (Read 320139 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: BaseRaiders
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2015, 12:24:05 AM »
I mean that's enough for a starting PC. If you want other examples, you should read this thread. There are a TON of great ideas here, including character and base concepts. I love the guy who carries around a WMD to scare other people.

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »
The thing that I stress with my group is the two Big Ideas, you want your powers and you want to change something. I always keep those in mind for a character.

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »
So my table group has started what will be a recurring Base Radiers game (one-shots when we're not on a main campaign).  I started them on The Bayou Beatdown because I personally loved it and it was a really fun and creative introduction to the system.  Anyway, my players made off with the functioning Confederate ship.   I admit I was dumb for not anticipating it.  The party was split and one half was fighting the bad guys and the other half hid in the ship and then rolled stupidly high to get it working.

So I gave it to them rather than look like I was just saying 'no' regardless of the dice.  So...how much loot points is the Confederate ship worth, Ross?  I'm worried it would let them buy a shit ton of powers but I also don't want to say 'Oh yeah, its only worth a little bit.'  My only thought that doesn't feel like a give away or robbery is saying that it's their new mobile lair?

"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Jace911

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2015, 09:44:55 PM »
So my table group has started what will be a recurring Base Radiers game (one-shots when we're not on a main campaign).  I started them on The Bayou Beatdown because I personally loved it and it was a really fun and creative introduction to the system.  Anyway, my players made off with the functioning Confederate ship.   I admit I was dumb for not anticipating it.  The party was split and one half was fighting the bad guys and the other half hid in the ship and then rolled stupidly high to get it working.

So I gave it to them rather than look like I was just saying 'no' regardless of the dice.  So...how much loot points is the Confederate ship worth, Ross?  I'm worried it would let them buy a shit ton of powers but I also don't want to say 'Oh yeah, its only worth a little bit.'  My only thought that doesn't feel like a give away or robbery is saying that it's their new mobile lair?

It's probably worth mad loot points, but trying to find a way to safely offload it on the black market is probably going to be at least an entire adventure or two. Not to mention all the heat they're going to risk attracting from EPSA or other base raiders if anyone finds out they're sitting on it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »

Well, you could build it as a strange skill. Look at the transport trapping. For example:

Steampunk Submarine (8 skill points)
Power Tier: Superhuman
Stealth + Unusual, Stress Capacity [Health], Transport + Unusual
Focus [Major]: Ironclad Sub
Item Based Power: Requires Training
All rolls made with sub are at the pilot's Drive/Pilot Sub skill
Loot value: 80 points base + 220 to the right buyer

You could also look at Kerberos Club, Strange Fate for statted out examples. I think the Nautillus is written up in it.

It's definitely the kind of item the players will have to find a buyer for if they want full point values. An eccentric billionaire or shady marine salvage company would want it, but they have to approach and negotiate carefully. If they just dump it on the black market, they should only get a fraction of its value (80 base divided by half or more)

Add more trappings if it has cannons/torpedoes/magic wards/etc.

You could make upgrading the sub a player goal, especially if they want to turn it into a mobile HQ.

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:25 PM »
An eccentric billionaire

...looks like McAfee is going to make in an appearance in my game.

Thanks Ross!
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Jace911

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2015, 11:53:49 PM »
John McAfee needs to be in every game.

Claive

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2015, 11:58:16 PM »
I mean that's enough for a starting PC. If you want other examples, you should read this thread. There are a TON of great ideas here, including character and base concepts. I love the guy who carries around a WMD to scare other people.

I would love to hear a radio play or actual play of him talking to Doctor White *sigh*
"No labyrinth is inescapable" -Gantz

Iafhtagn

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2015, 11:26:16 AM »

He's crazy, he has a sense of humor, he's more meta than most people give him credit for, and he's active online - jut google "How to uninstall McAfee Antivirus starring John McAfee". Yes, that's the real guy in the video. He was a programmer once, so he's got at least some geeky roots.

What I'm saying is, an actual appearance of McAfee in a Skype game isn't completely impossible.

Kickstarter time?

Jace911

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »

He's crazy, he has a sense of humor, he's more meta than most people give him credit for, and he's active online - jut google "How to uninstall McAfee Antivirus starring John McAfee". Yes, that's the real guy in the video. He was a programmer once, so he's got at least some geeky roots.

What I'm saying is, an actual appearance of McAfee in a Skype game isn't completely impossible.

Kickstarter time?

And on top of all that he was an international criminal at one point and his autobiography is being written by an ex drug baron.

Hell, if my GM had him show up as a black marketeer in Base Raiders I wouldn't bat a fucking eyelash.

Leshrac

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2015, 04:08:02 PM »
So it is strange but I had a sudden realization (my brain does this sometimes), that if I wanted to model the Bleach Anime in FATE, that Base Raiders is probably the best possible system to do that, with some minor mods.

Very little has to change mechanically about the game, other than the scales of power.  Anything they can do magically due to their nature or the basic abilities their training and weapon gives them is at Exceptional.  When they go into Shikai (the first unlock of their weapon), they can access Superhuman power levels.  When they unlock their Bankai (the second unlock of their weapon), they can access Ascendant powers levels, and if they master truly their powers, or become Vizard or some other weird archetype they can use Godlike Power levels.

Their are a number of small fiddly buts I would need to consider:
-Whether to keep the burn as a narrative structure for mastering a new power level, or drop it for some other narrative tool instead.
-How to use magic in that situation (magic is more diverse and also more limiting), and what power level to set it (probably supernatural since its about the same strength as people who have unlocked their Shikai).

But it just....fits....

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2015, 12:08:48 AM »
I should write a Base Raiders SRD so everyone can use the rules more freely.

Leshrac

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2015, 12:18:27 AM »
Considering their is a Strange Fate SRD that I just stumbled across recently:

http://arcdream.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Strange-FATE-SRD.pdf

You could probabaly just pull that and then addendum to it the pieces you added/modded for Base Raiders.

I totally agree that its a good idea though.

Wyrdling

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »
So I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the power creation system and how it meshes with the premade powers? Like, you have the Reptile-Chimera Drug User at 11 points, but I can only get that to 9, before I put in any complications. Same goes for the Upsilon Drug User. Very confused.

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2015, 08:41:25 AM »
I looked, the Upsilon drug is Shoot (2) plus range x2 for 4 with the snag -1 bringing it to 3 by the chart. I think it's just an uncaught error though.