Author Topic: RPPR Redesign underway  (Read 13132 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
RPPR Redesign underway
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
I'm in the process of redesigning all the RPPR based sites. RPPR is first on the slate. http://slangdesign.com/rppr/

Thoughts?

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: RPPR Redesign underway
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »
Looks nice, a bit cleaner and seems a bit easier to navigate.  I'll give it a more than cursory look later and see if I have any additional comments....

ethan_dawe

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:29:47 AM »
1st edition RPPR was way better! You had to use your imagination. This new edition isn't real RPPR!  :o

On a more serious note, it looks good!

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »
Over all seems like a clean design.

My only very slight objection is your placement of the tag cloud. Seems to be a fair bit of back and forth on this topic in various places but anecdotally (which of course the entire internet is fueled on a single data point observations) I have never really used them. With that in mind I feel you are using up a lot of prime real estate (especially on a tablet) for something I will always skip over but yours and other users of the site mileages may vary.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »
Tried it on an iPad. Works fine.  Couldn't break anything.
Why is the new world on the top bar but not, for example the best of site?
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
Over all seems like a clean design.

My only very slight objection is your placement of the tag cloud. Seems to be a fair bit of back and forth on this topic in various places but anecdotally (which of course the entire internet is fueled on a single data point observations) I have never really used them. With that in mind I feel you are using up a lot of prime real estate (especially on a tablet) for something I will always skip over but yours and other users of the site mileages may vary.

I don't have anything better to put there right now and it gives new listeners an idea of what we cover here. If I can find a better wordpress widget to put there, I will.

Atlas

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
Looks clean, and easier to navigate. Good job.

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »

I don't have anything better to put there right now and it gives new listeners an idea of what we cover here. If I can find a better wordpress widget to put there, I will.

Perhaps large format vanity photos of the RPPR crew! Tom and Ross in action. Recording Podcasts .... and rolling dice .... uhm .... Or maybe just pictures of Thad.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »

Perhaps large format vanity photos of the RPPR crew! Tom and Ross in action. Recording Podcasts .... and rolling dice .... uhm .... Or maybe just pictures of Thad.

I did realize I need to put the contact us links so there's that.

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
My only contribution is design nit-picking. Remove the body margin so your banner image snugs up to the top, and make the white space to the right of the main content the same as it is to the left. Maybe add a pattern in the background to push your content forward, right now the grey in the banner blends into the grey of the background.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
My only contribution is design nit-picking. Remove the body margin so your banner image snugs up to the top, and make the white space to the right of the main content the same as it is to the left. Maybe add a pattern in the background to push your content forward, right now the grey in the banner blends into the grey of the background.

I can't make the right sidebar the same width as the left one because of the RPPR network links. If I make the left sidebar the same width as the right one, there won't be enough space for the main content.

What kind of pattern would you recommend for the background?

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:57:38 PM »
What kind of pattern would you recommend for the background?

Something subtle; all you want to do is differentiate the background of the page from that grey in the header.

To give you an example - I just grabbed a canvas texture off of subtlepatterns.com and laid it over the background grey in Photoshop. It's similar in shade to what it was, but different from the header.

GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!