Author Topic: FATE: Let's like talk about it.  (Read 43330 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: FATE: Let's like talk about it.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »
Not how I would put it; I can understand why someone would make that comparison.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »
I found the thing I was thinking of in terms of equipment aspects.

http://fate-srd.com/fate-system-toolkit/gear-aspects

I've been looking at the fate core book and so far I'm not sure how different it is, they seem to be nearly identical.

I haven't gotten super far yet though.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
Ah, it is an optional rule. I'd go ahead and ignore that if you haven't run Fate previously, keep the Aspects you already have in the game. Aspects can get extremely mixed up if you have too many going on. I recommend having notecards at the table for when temporary ones start flying during a conflict.

Ezechiel357

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 04:49:40 AM »
Also I'm finding it difficult to differentiate stunts from aspects.

The easiest way I found to explain it to my friends was to take the example in FATE Accelerated and following the formula:
"Because I am [insert relevant Aspect], when I do [insert Approach for FATE acc, or specific action] to achieve [create an aspect, or other narrow action], I have a +2."

So for one PC who was a Faerie creature,Prince of the Cats, he had the following stunt:
Because I am [Prince of the Cats], I get a +2 to [Identify aspect] when I am calling the Neighborhood Council of Cats to gather information.

Stunts are free (do not cost Fate point) whereas calling an Aspect DOES cost a Fate point.

There are also stunts that you can only use once per gaming session.
In this case, one character had a Cloack of Thousand Faces and it worked that way:
Because I own [the Cloack of the Thousand Faces], once per game, I can change my [Role]. (In this game, "Role" was defined as what the Faerie character was pretending to be when he was amongst human, it was an temporary aspect that he could call to be more believable and competent when he was playing his human role).

sandcastles

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
have yet to run or play it, but have a scenario and some lightly modded rules for Walmart Apocalypse using FATE, and think I've got enough grasp on Base Raiders to walk some players through character creation whenever we can manage the time

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 11:12:41 AM »
We've started the process of creating characters, and the setting.

Everyones got general ideas but it was hard for us to stay on topic so we made a group on facebook so we can discuss things as we go throughout the week.

We used the character creation rules for Dresden Files to make characters and backstory for an Iron Heroes game and it worked great just to make our characters nice and fleshed out.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »
Would anyone be opposed to posting a character or two?

Just so I can see how a fully fleshed character looks by the end.

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 01:50:10 PM »
Sure! Here's one of my player's characters, the booze bender.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »
This is a Base Raiders character yes?

I've been listening to Base Raiders to get an idea of how Fate is played and it seems like the system holds up.

Do you find it difficult naming your aspects descriptive enough to be able to invoke them often?

Or vice versa with compels?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:31:31 PM by Flawless P »

Jae.

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
Yes, absolutely. Aspects drive pretty much the entirety of play.

Essentially, Fate is not about whether a PC will succeed at something but how much they are willing to pay to succeed. So if a PC is a sort of Engineer type in a Space game, they might have 2 or 3 Aspects that are named in ways that can be interpreted to invoke for fixing the Ship's engine. So the PC, as long as they are willing to pay Fate Points to invoke this, is likely to succeed.

The end result of this is that they are drained of Fate Points, which means that now they shift to self-compelling or are more receptive to the GM compelling their Aspects because they need those FP to succeed later.

I ran a Fate Core Game (with some Extras) for a Black Ops Mech Team and have some of the character sheets. If you're interested, I can throw one of those up and maybe give you a little write up to an Actual Play situation where a PC was invoked/compelled
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains.

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
Aspects are definitely the focus of play, but you have to make sure it's not too generalized and not too specific, and it really helps if the aspects are tailored to the player's strengths.. For example, one of my players has the aspect "there always needs to be a plan:" this is a pretty good aspect in that it can be compelled when the group goes in guns blazing, and it can give a bonus for planning sessions, but there's a problem with the player: she's pretty much incapable of lateral thinking and planning things. The aspect doesn't see much use because of this. But she's also got the aspect "bitches get shit done," which works great!

Aspects should also always have two sides: something that can work for the player, and another way it can be used negatively by the GM. If they're written that way, aspects really drive the story: if not, then they're just a bunch of pluses and minuses, which goes against the idea of such a narrative game in my eyes.

Jae.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 04:55:17 PM »
Figured this might also be useful for everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0f3JMY74Q4
This is the first session to a Space Opera Fate Core game ran by Jacob Possin (who also had a hand in writing Jadepunk). They do character creation, including making up races on the fly for some of the players. They do not spend too much time on talking about how to play the game but Jacob's very experienced with Fate and I think he runs it almost as well as you can.

This later turns into the Silence Falls Some More, and then the Shadow Legion series if you're interested in continuing to follow the APs on his channel.

http://www.twitch.tv/thursdayknights/b/516859979 (Start at about 00:46:30 to skip a bunch of small talk before they start the game)
This is Thursday Knights. They have been livestreaming an AP of an Edge Of The Empire Game for a while, but in this episode, they decide that they don't like EotE too much and switch over to Fate Accelerated Edition (FAE). Greg, their GM, does a really good job at explaining both the basics of Fate itself but also what's neat about Fate Accelerated.

After this session they pretty much end up entirely switching over to FAE from EotE, so you can continue watching if APs are your thing. Word of warning, they just continue their campaign with the new system rather than reboot, so you're likely to be a little lost in terms of story if you haven't been following from the beginning.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »
I ran a Fate Core Game (with some Extras) for a Black Ops Mech Team and have some of the character sheets. If you're interested, I can throw one of those up and maybe give you a little write up to an Actual Play situation where a PC was invoked/compelled

This would be lovely.

I feel like I've kind of hit my limit on what I can get out of the book so real life examples are much appreciated.

Also I will definitely check out those links. Thanks a ton.

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »
If you haven't checked it out yet, these sites offer a wealth of information/settings/characters/examples to use:

http://evilhat.wikidot.com/community-fate-core-extensions

http://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-rpg

I have a question for everyone:  do you allow players to make skill rolls when they do not have the skill? For example, if they do not have "Alertness," do you let them roll at +0?

I have always let players do this, but I was told that I should not be and that they should only roll for the skills they have.  This seems odd to me, but it does make sense to some extent (in Fate your characters are equally defined by what skills they DO NOT have).  Still, the math is designed for a +1 roll on 4 Fudge dice alone to be difficult, so I always assumed a +0 roll to be a "base" roll that they won't succeed at.  But hey, if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

I'll just stick to FAE and use Approaches instead.   8)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:53:16 AM by PaulyMuttonchops »

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »
Coolio, I have learned quite a lot.

Clearly I cannot just read books to learn rules.

I've known this about myself and yet I can't help but try.

So here's something I can't find a 100% straight explanation of.

Stress and Consequences.

I've learned that default stress boxes have a value of 1 and 2. But I can't find anywhere how much the additional boxes are worth based on your stats.

On top of that, I can I can't find the full explanation of Consequences value. I know Major can absorb a 6 shit hit but thats all I found.

EDIT:
HAHAHAHA
I found it.

More Physique/Will = more and bigger stress boxes

Consequences 2-4-6 and the dreaded 8 shift protection.

I'm not helpless after all.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:43:32 PM by Flawless P »