Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 332606 times)

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »
I'm reading the entire DG canon of fiction...for reasons. So far, I've read Strange Authorities, Through a Glass Darkly, Tales from Failed Anatomies, and Denied to the Enemy.

Colour me amazed you had not already done so!

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
Not exactly a full fiction piece, but just received "DG: Countdown" in the mail. Really wish I could find "Targets of Opportunity" either on the cheap or that it would come back in print. I love reading up on those factions and stories... and in dead tree format.
Liquid Water?

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
Not exactly a full fiction piece, but just received "DG: Countdown" in the mail. Really wish I could find "Targets of Opportunity" either on the cheap or that it would come back in print. I love reading up on those factions and stories... and in dead tree format.

I agree it would be nice for Pagan to put out a softcover version of Targets of Opportunity, but since I missed out on the limited edition hardback, I just bought the pdf, printed it off and had it spiral bound at my local copy place. Worked out very well.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »
I'm reading the entire DG canon of fiction...for reasons. So far, I've read Strange Authorities, Through a Glass Darkly, Tales from Failed Anatomies, and Denied to the Enemy.

Colour me amazed you had not already done so!

I had already read all of the DG RPG books and I had read some of the Tynes fiction, which gave me the wrong impression of the quality of the fiction. Tynes is a great designer (His Hastur mythos chapter is incredible in Countdown), but his short stories are kind of rough, especially when compared to Detwiller.

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2015, 06:32:52 PM »
I had already read all of the DG RPG books and I had read some of the Tynes fiction, which gave me the wrong impression of the quality of the fiction. Tynes is a great designer (His Hastur mythos chapter is incredible in Countdown), but his short stories are kind of rough, especially when compared to Detwiller.

I agree the Tynes short stories are a bit uneven - but then so in my opinion are Detwiller's - but I really really liked Tynes' DG novel. Which is, nicely enough, reprinted in Strange Authorities.

quickstep23

« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2015, 06:53:46 PM »
Transhumanist Reader edited by More and Vita-More - A survey of contemporary transhumanist philosophy, because what better way to make your EP games feel more urgent.
The Polish Officer by Alan Furst - Grim spy novel set in World War 2's European theater. Had to read it after listening to listening to "Dangers of Fraternization"
No Soul Left Behind by Caleb Stokes - because I finished listening to the AP (finally) and game with teachers.
Also some technical stuff related to work.

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »
Currently reading Firewall. Finally...

The to-read list never gets shorter
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »

Part of the problem of deciding is I've made the mistake of realizing that Amazon has frequent Kindle book sales: a few days ago I picked up The Martian by Andy Weir, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and Dead Wake by Erik Larson for $6.36. Total! So, naturally I decided to not read any of those. . .

This is why I both love and hate my Kindle.  Cheap books, yay!  How many actually get read?  Errr. . .yeah :(

Yeah, Dark Tide's the first Kindle Book I bought about 6 months ago. inwanted to read it, but just never had the time. I've always read books through one at a time, but I'm noticing now Ingonthrough multiple books and finish out of order. It's just easier and allows you to read more, and the stuff I read is disparate enough that I can keep heads or tails of two to three books.
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2015, 02:12:58 AM »
Been waiting on Sevenses on hold for digital loan from the library.  Heard bits and pieces of a teaser and super interested to give it a read through....

CADmonkey

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2015, 07:27:50 PM »
I need to read more Ballard. I've read some of his short stories and High Rise but clearly I need to read more.

I have trouble remembering specific titles now, but The Atrocity Exhibition and Crash are must-reads.  They may be Ballard's greatest explorations of his 'innerspace' concepts, and they certainly got the most extreme reactions.  The first American edition of The Atrocity Exhibition was pulped after the president of Doubleday read Why I Want to Fuck Ronald Reagan; and apparently a psychologist, upon reading a proof copy of Crash, tried to convince the publisher to have Ballard institutionalized.  As I've said before, I highly recommend RE/Search #8/9 if you can get a hold of it (the publisher is selling their last copies at $75.00 apiece!), the interviews and essays are excellent, and there is a wonderful short story in there, possibly my favourite piece of fiction by Ballard.  I'm sure that short story was also in one of his many collections, but I can't remember which one at the moment.

Thinking back now, I made a mistake in one of my earlier posts, RE/Search #8/9 wasn't how I discovered Ballard, the first book of his that I read was Vermilion Sands, a collection of short stories set in a decaying resort on the shores of a dry seabed.  It's still my favourite short-story collection, but that may be because it was my first.

The only books I don't recommend are The Wind from Nowhere and Rushing to ParadiseThe Wind from Nowhere was Ballard's first published novel, and he practically disowned it.  It was a rush job, and it shows.  Rushing to Paradise is supposedly a "dark and compelling satire" of "the dangerous evils of extremism of all kinds" which came off, to me, as "old white man sneers at young people, women and people of colour".  Perhaps I'm being a little uncharitable in that assessment, but I'm not going to bother re-reading it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:32:48 PM by CADmonkey »
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2015, 06:52:56 PM »
I need to finish the Delta Green fiction canon - 3 books to go! But after that, I'll probably look up some more Ballard to read. Certainly looking forward to seeing High Rise.

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
I've been looking for a book about 01% outlaw motorcycle clubs.  Thought it might make some good rpg fodder.  However, I can't really find as much information as I would like.  Seems like all Amazon has is a few self-published books.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2015, 12:55:46 PM »
I've been looking for a book about 01% outlaw motorcycle clubs.  Thought it might make some good rpg fodder.  However, I can't really find as much information as I would like.  Seems like all Amazon has is a few self-published books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell's_Angels:_The_Strange_and_Terrible_Saga_of_the_Outlaw_Motorcycle_Gangs

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2015, 10:27:19 AM »
Can't beat the classics.  Thanks Ross.

Lordsloth

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2015, 08:31:14 PM »
Just finished Andy Weir's "The Martian" on Kindle, in anticipation of the upcoming movie. I'll probably start DG: Extraordinary Renditions next, though for some reason I prefer to read them in their print form. Maybe I'll try to finish King's "Black House". I've started, like... twice now.
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.