Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 332614 times)

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2016, 07:31:02 PM »
Audible Uk finally added more of the Laundry Files for preorder. No Fuller Memorandum yet though. Hoping they get Hawkins again for continuity prefer him over the Fenris dude.

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
Currently listening to the second indexing series book. Fables meets Delta Green.

Twisting H

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2016, 11:09:33 PM »
Extraordinary Renditions (new DG story anthology) is good and cool. It has a story set in the great depression dust bowl era that would make for a great No Security scenario.

Picked up Extraordinary Renditions yesterday. Through the first three stories.

I have to be honest. The stories are significantly better than most modern Cthulhu mythos tales.  I was a little shocked.  I hope the "Delta Green" on the cover doesn't turn the literary away from these stories as "oh that's just game fiction." They are not.

Helps to be next to the internet to look up all the German words/WWII/CIA project details as well. 

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2016, 02:19:44 AM »
Went to the library and picked up the comic series "Global Frequency".  It's aged well.  It's also a treasure trove of ideas for Eclipse Phase.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Morbid

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
Extraordinary Renditions (new DG story anthology) is good and cool. It has a story set in the great depression dust bowl era that would make for a great No Security scenario.

Picked up Extraordinary Renditions yesterday. Through the first three stories.

I have to be honest. The stories are significantly better than most modern Cthulhu mythos tales.  I was a little shocked.  I hope the "Delta Green" on the cover doesn't turn the literary away from these stories as "oh that's just game fiction." They are not.

Helps to be next to the internet to look up all the German words/WWII/CIA project details as well.

Yeah, I actually took a while to pick up the Delta Green fiction collections because I remembered White Wolf's output as being .. inconsistent, let's say. 

While some DG stories/collections are better than others, I've found them all worth my time.  Adam Scott Glancy's "Once more from the top.." (Dark Theatres is the collection) is a fantastic version of the Innsmouth raid.

The Extradordinary Renditions story set in the French countryside was especially effective.  I should finish the rest of the collection..

I've actually found that Cthulhu collections are a little more reliable than general horror collections, but that may be due to my taste.  At least, "New Tales of the Yellow Sign", "New Cthulhu: the Recent Weird" and what I've read of "The Book of Cthulhu" have all been pretty solid, though NTotYS is the only one where I've read every story.

I was really disappointed with the Sherlock Holmes/Cthulhu mash-up collection "Shadows over Baker Street" though that is not really modern Cthulhu.  And it's a tricky balance with Sherlock Holmes' perfect rationality coming up against the unknowable nature of the mythos.

constructacon

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2016, 12:29:24 AM »
currently i am on a bit of a urban fantasy kick right now as you will see
i am/just finished Reading, well actually listening thru audible...

Both book of the "Alloy of Law" series by Brandon Sanderson
The "Kane Cronicles" by Rick Riordan
the "Alex Versus" series by Gildart Jackson
the "Magic 2.0" seris by Scott Meyer
and "Staked" the latest book in the "Iron Druid" series by Kevin Hearne

i've got quite a few books in the hopper to read but other that Dresden or anything by the authors mention above any urban fantasy books/series out there that i need to check out?

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »
Right now I'm reading The Black Death: A Personal History by John Hatcher. And it's really bumming me out.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Henry Hankovitch

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2016, 11:05:33 PM »
I got through about three books of the Codex Alera before moving on to something else for a while.  It's a fun setting--more or less like Avatar: the Last Airbender, but set in a classical-Rome flavor of setting, rather than Asian wuxia flavor.

Plugged my way through The Prize[/i], mostly on worktime lunch breaks and such.  A lot of dry stretches, but definitely an illuminating read.

Also started reading The Devil in the White City, probably about five years after everyone else got around to it.  Fucken H. H. Holmes, man. 

The Lost Carol

• The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2016, 11:21:33 PM »
Also started reading The Devil in the White City, probably about five years after everyone else got around to it.  Fucken H. H. Holmes, man.

I read that in college. It's a wild ride and a great book. It's a great example of a dual narrative book and it's both an interesting portal in a time long since past and mild horror in that this is light dramatization of real events.

I've been reading muh comics recently, thanks to the recent Image 2 Humble Bundle. Read through Saga Volumes 4 & 5 (the hits keep on coming) and Sex Criminals Volume 1 (a very comedic, very NSFW story, and an poignant take on love and loneliness.)

Also started to read through the original core rulebook of Delta Green in light of the coming rewards for the Kickstarter. Um... I was kind shocked at all the UFO stuff. Like, they really, REALLY had a hard on for the X-Files shit in the beginning it seems. Glad they shifted more to pure mythos.
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
Actually DG was six months approx before XFiles. But yeah they have shifted with the times and the 90s were all about the alien abductions etc. One of the reasonscthey decided to do a new edition of the game.

Got Neurotribes as a gift. Know thy self and all that. Will also be reading tp 3 of Planetary again  when I have a spare moment.

ethan_dawe

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
Just finished "War" by Sebastian Junger. Non-fiction about the war in Afghanistan in 2007-2008. He is one of the directors of the documentary Restrepo and the follow-up "Korengal," which follow the same group of troops. Harrowing, but a must read.

Vivax

• Secret Twitter Mod for the SCP Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
I just finished "The Grace of Kings" by Ken Lieu and it was fantastic. It's like Game of Thrones without the terrible prose set in some kind of multi-racial pseudo-China at the end of the Warring States Period. Highly recommend. 

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2016, 10:43:35 PM »
I just finished "The Grace of Kings" by Ken Lieu and it was fantastic. It's like Game of Thrones without the terrible prose set in some kind of multi-racial pseudo-China at the end of the Warring States Period. Highly recommend.

Seconded.

Also, how many of us are on GoodReads? Come friend me, I friend back: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/51856402-laura-briskin
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Vivax

• Secret Twitter Mod for the SCP Foundation
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »

Seconded.

Also, how many of us are on GoodReads? Come friend me, I friend back: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/51856402-laura-briskin

Grace of Kings is so good that I can't imagine it not getting an adaptation to film or TV... hopefully a not-race-bent adaptation.

Unfortunately I'm not on GoodReads as of yet.

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »
Grace of Kings is so good that I can't imagine it not getting an adaptation to film or TV... hopefully a not-race-bent adaptation.

Unfortunately I'm not on GoodReads as of yet.

I hope so!

Join us Vivax... delve into the time vortex that is GoodReads!
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads