Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 332622 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #315 on: August 02, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »
Yeah, obscure wars are a deep well of gameable ideas. I wouldn't be surprised if Glancy had a few Toyota War scenario ideas.

CADmonkey

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 02, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
And I just noticed this book supposedly coming from Osprey next year: Technicals: Non-Standard Tactical Vehicles from the Toyota War to modern Special Forces.  Something to put next to my copy of Vietnam Gun Trucks. :)
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr

Alethea

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #317 on: August 02, 2017, 06:00:51 PM »
Just started reading my new copy of Monster Hearts 2
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »
Also, how many of us are on GoodReads? Come friend me, I friend back: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/51856402-laura-briskin

There's a link to my goodreads profile in my sig.

And I changed my sig a little while ago and removed that link, so here it is for anyone interested: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/25827301-bryan-rombough

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #319 on: August 21, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »
Part way through New Tales of the Yellow Sign. The Repairman is great and it made me glad I backed the Kickstarter for the Yellow King RPG. Remembered that I haven't finished listening to Chamber's original shorts so I'm going to go back to finish that soon.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 12, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »

Book Haul by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Another 'Buck-a-Book Sale' at All Saints' Anglican Church, Westboro.  The pickings were a little slim this time, but I've now bought dozens of books at their sales and only read one so far.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 19, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »
Just finished A Primate's Memoir: A Neuroscientist's Unconventional Life Among the Baboons, the personal memoir of Robert M. Sapolsky's summers spent studying a baboon troop in Kenya from the late 70's to the late 90's.  The book is mostly personal anecdotes about the baboons & other wildlife, local people he met & worked with and other personal adventures & misadventures.  It's not an academic book, Sapolsky doesn't describe his studies in much depth, but what he does mention is rather interesting.  When Sapolsky first set out to study baboons, he was looking for support for a theory which was rather controversial at the time: the theory that stress can affect one's health, and that constant stress can impact long-term health, which was not a widely accepted idea in the late 70's.

I've also just started reading The Hanging Of Angelique, the story of an enslaved woman convicted of starting the Montréal fire of 1734, allegedly to cover her attempted escape from slavery.  Angelique's story was summarized in Canada's Forgotten Slaves: Two Hundred Years of Bondage, a book I've mentioned earlier in this thread, and I'm looking forward to learning more about her story.

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #322 on: November 20, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
Audible finally released Asher's first few Polity books so I've been getting my space opera on. Also James Swallow's Nomad is good for Night's Black Agents inspiration. Rucka still continues to do the best version of airport techno-thrillers for me though.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 26, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »

Christmas Books by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Already started two of them.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »
Visited the Canadian Centre for Architecture today, they have a bookstore:

CCA Loot: Bag #1 by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

CCA Loot: Bag #2 by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2018, 12:59:22 PM »
Read the first two volumes of Star Trek: The Classic UK Comics (didn't know there was a third, I'll have to pick that up soon).  It's a funny little piece of Star Trek licensing history produced by the publishers of Gerry Anderson-series comics adaptations, for an audience of British children.  There's a lot of "wonky" elements to the comics:  The writers and artists only saw one episode of the show before producing their first several months of work, so Kirk is refered to as "Kurt" in the first few serialised stories, and a character who only appeared in that one episode (The Corbomite Maneuver) appeared as a regular member of the bridge crew for months.  There's also a lot of other oddities that come from the British writers & artists:  The proliferation of very "Gerry Anderson-esque" vehicles and machines, the crew using a lot of British colloquialisms and the crew generally behaving more like early 20th-century British navy officers than Roddenberry's idealised, egalitarian starfleet officers.  Many of the stories fall short of Roddenberry's vison for Star Trek (even moreso than the TV series), but for the most part it's a fun alternate take on Star Trek, with some great art (Harry F. Lindfield's work is particularly gorgeous).

I also recently read Cherie Dimaline's The Marrow Thieves, an apocalyptic YA novel about an Indigenous youth living through an environmental apocalypse and genocide.  I don't normally read YA novels, but this one had won some awards and was written by a Métis author, so I gave it a try.  It's not bad, but I think YA still isn't my cup of tea.

And I've started reading Richard Wagamese's Indian Horse, the story of a residential school survivor, written by a residential school survivor.  This book has been sitting on one of my bookshelves for a while, ever since a relative of mine tried and failed to read it and gave it to me, but I was prompted to finally pick it up when I heard that there's a movie adaptation coming out this year.  The descriptions of life in a residential school are horrific, but I was braced for them by having already been exposed to stories of what went on in those places, and that setting isn't the whole of the novel.  Despite the terribly depressing nature of the subject matter, Wagamese's writing is beautiful and moving, and I'm quite enjoying this book.

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 11, 2018, 07:36:45 AM »
Visiting Montréal again, and buying books.

First, I went to see “From Africa to the Americas: Face-to-Face Picasso, Past and Present” and “Here We Are Here: Black Canadian Contemporary Art” at the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts.  Picked these up at the exhibit bookstore:

MMoFA Book Haul by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

Second, there was my usual excursion to the Canadian Centre for Architecture bookstore:

CCA Book Haul - Books by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

CCA Book Haul - Magazines & Typography by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr