Author Topic: Music?  (Read 11877 times)

dragonshaos

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Music?
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:26:24 AM »
Since I have my laptop next to me during sessions, I thought it'd be neat to play a little bit of background music while we play, just very faint setting the mood kinda music.

I've been searching around for some fantasyish medieval music buuut I got nothing.  I looked for olden European music but I just find some guy in a basement replaying the same tune over and over.

If anyone has a link to a place with something interesting (and free) lemme know please!!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

bigznak

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Music?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »
anything by midnight syndicate or nox arcana is good for eerie scary music.  Don't really know what type of music you are looking for though.  If its D&D battle music, I really like a band named Battlelore.  They are awesome.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »
I recommend Dragon Force, turned down really low. Sonata Artica as well, especially if you can get instimental tracks. BE AWARE! Both these choices can be dangerous and I no longer use them because I like the songs too much.

I've used Midnight Syndicate before but I got so fucking sick of them so fast I buried the CD under my junk pile.

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Not too bad.  Ive got a bunch of Dragonforce I could use for battles and fast paced things and I may consider  Sonata Artica.

How aboot some instrumental background music.  Like for when the players are just in town shoppin or walkin through the wood.  Kinda mood setting music.  Preferably instrumental.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:39:48 PM »
Not too bad.  Ive got a bunch of Dragonforce I could use for battles and fast paced things and I may consider  Sonata Artica.

How aboot some instrumental background music.  Like for when the players are just in town shoppin or walkin through the wood.  Kinda mood setting music.  Preferably instrumental.

LOL... I wonder if you can find some mall muzak online somewhere for a shopping soundtrack.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »

LOL... I wonder if you can find some mall muzak online somewhere for a shopping soundtrack.

I was making Muzak for Ross for his Night Mall game idea by mixing me singing the words to "Carcosa" from "Repairer of Reputations" and 1920s swing music.

This file was unfortunately lost when I spilled tea all over my laptop. The file may still be recoverable, but I haven't ripped out the hard drive to find out.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 10:14:48 PM »
Try soundtracks from some of the more obscure video game RPGs (or video games in general). Especially if there are remixes available. OCRemix.com is a good place to find that sort of thing. Sort around and try them out until you find some that work for the game or mood you're trying to evoke.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »
CANT GO WITH SOME RAGE AGINST THE MACHINE AS LOUD AS YOU POSIBLY CAN!

haha j/k

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:25:14 AM »
Lots of legitimately free (creative commons or public domain) music here http://www.archive.org/details/audio

Phineas_Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »
I think the most important thing to keep in mind is to not play music with vocals. I think one of the worst games I played was where someone said they were going to put on some music (and of course I thought it was mood music) but it just turned out to be various popular songs. Roleplaying went down, but commenting on music selection went up!

Movie and game soundtracks are the best. I agree with whoever said to aim for "obscure" if possible ('cause if you recognize something, you just might want to comment on it, or maybe the soundtrack makes you just think of whatever movie it came from). But, heck, even the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack works great.

Or play Slayer.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »
So... no Fallout Boy?

Rygel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
One of my current GMs likes to play "They Might be Giants."

For reference
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:12:33 PM by Rygel »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
a playlist of tracks from silent hill games, aphex twin, squarepusher, and boards of canada would be good for horror games - dark ambient etc