Author Topic: Preludes to Masks  (Read 8292 times)

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Preludes to Masks
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:10:39 AM »
I've been patiently waiting for the crowdfunding Masks companion and prop set kickstarters to get fulfilled in order to start Masks this fall. So it's about time I start running some prologue adventures to introduce Jackson Elias and make his fate at the outset of Masks hit home.

I've listened to Ross' run of the campaign and I see that he adapted Dream Factory from Pagan's Mortal Coils scenario anthology and Shanghai Bullets from Pelgrane's Eldritch Tales.

Instead of shamelessly copying those choices I have hit upon the idea of running a pair of adventures from Pagan's Mysteries of Mesoamerica, Menhirs in the Grotto (1923) and The Heretics (1925) and inserting Jackson Elias as a very helpful NPC patron/fellow expedition member and general fixer to help the PCs out in the former and correspond with him as he heads to Africa. I plan to have the PCs make it back to New York just in time to rendezvous with Elias and then discover his dire fate. (I may just insert a small sojourn into The Sense of Sleight of Hand Man too, but I'm very uncertain about this.)

Opinions, feedback from anyone who has run these adventures very welcome.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Preludes to Masks
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »
Are you using Call or Trail? If you use Trail, Miskatonic Expeditions has great rules for managing safaris and other wilderness trips.

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:45:13 PM »
Are you using Call or Trail? If you use Trail, Miskatonic Expeditions has great rules for managing safaris and other wilderness trips.

I am planning on using CoC (6E) since I've only run a handful of Trail games, but I've definitely been considering modding the Expeditions rules.

I might make a concerted effort to hone my Trail skills in case my players are receptive to learning a new rules system.

Were you happy using Trail for Masks as compared to Call? I know there is a conversion document floating around.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 01:13:32 AM »

I am planning on using CoC (6E) since I've only run a handful of Trail games, but I've definitely been considering modding the Expeditions rules.

I might make a concerted effort to hone my Trail skills in case my players are receptive to learning a new rules system.

Were you happy using Trail for Masks as compared to Call? I know there is a conversion document floating around.

Yeah, the conversion guide was great. It doesn't have anything for Australia or Shanghai but by that point, I was able to wing stuff pretty easily.

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:29:35 AM »
Yeah, the conversion guide was great. It doesn't have anything for Australia or Shanghai but by that point, I was able to wing stuff pretty easily.

I guess I will have to give it a close reading. Again, with limited experience running Trail, what are the compelling reasons to run Masks using those rules rather than CoC?

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »

I for one am shocked, shocked I say, to hear that you wing any aspect of your games!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:58:54 PM »

I for one am shocked, shocked I say, to hear that you wing any aspect of your games!

I should specify for Masks that I meant winging stats. I followed the main campaign and the companion for the plot. Once you know Gumshoe you can make up decent stats for mooks and other threats pretty much instantly.