Author Topic: Hacking Red Market question.  (Read 75564 times)

constructacon

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Hacking Red Market question.
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 03:40:39 AM »
is it just me or did anyone else think about fallout when looking at hacking RM

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 11:01:08 AM »
That would work pretty easily actually. They have a universal currency for the wastelands and you can do small modifications to the casualty systems to represent large groups of monsters.

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 06:25:08 PM »
Not entirely sure how much work would be involved or if it would be worth it, but what about using the system for a Stone Age period campaign? Based on my recent discovery of the genre of "Stonepunk" (they will slap -punk on anything) and what Glancy had talk about the Obsidian industry in prehistory.

Needs currency, not just bartering, but I guess you could fake it - history of money is kind of vague https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_money#Emergence_of_money

That's where the obsidian shards come in -- it's a currency and a weapon at the same time!
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 07:37:24 PM »
Not entirely sure how much work would be involved or if it would be worth it, but what about using the system for a Stone Age period campaign? Based on my recent discovery of the genre of "Stonepunk" (they will slap -punk on anything) and what Glancy had talk about the Obsidian industry in prehistory.

Needs currency, not just bartering, but I guess you could fake it - history of money is kind of vague https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_money#Emergence_of_money

That's where the obsidian shards come in -- it's a currency and a weapon at the same time!

That's what I was thinking, though I don't know what I'd call this obsidian shard currency?
Liquid Water?

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 05:25:15 PM »

That's what I was thinking, though I don't know what I'd call this obsidian shard currency?

I'd just call it "knives".
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

The Lost Carol

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • The Calvinist Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 11:56:47 PM »
Between how my players have been handling their final mission in the Beta Campaign and listening to the Drunk and Ugly's mini-campaign with the Leverage system, I think the Profit System could easily be used in a heist style game. All of the skills are pretty commiserate with the skills you'd need, and the d10x2 dice mechanics could work well. References and Dependents help flesh out the stuff outside the heist, and the system can let you go quiet or go live.

Just think, Ross: you could license the Profit System from Caleb and license the Payday IP from Overkill and make a Payday Role Playing Game  ;D ;D ;D
Need more Actual Play goodness? Visit http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/ for Red Markets Beta, Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, and more!

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »
I always thought they could do a Great Payday board game if you used the Descent / Imperial Assalt template.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2016, 04:53:26 AM »
I have been trying to figure out what sort of setting would allow for the profit system to be played in a world with classic DnD characters.  So a world where a mage can throw fireballs around and a priest can be a substitute Jesus and heal the sick in person.

Warriors, and Roges are not a problem, you can slot them right into the Profit system.  But I can't figure out a world where a magic user who break the laws of physics and a priests that can make miracles would ever be in the position of having to make their own retirement plans.

Any ideas?
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2016, 06:54:40 AM »
I think step one would be to go hard on the Spelll Components & rituals.

wizards have to have enough eye of newt and enough books to nuke their foes, clerics have to appease their patron deities with lavish rituals and or sacrifices, druids have to maintain plants and feed and look after the animalst hey use. Scorcerers are tricky but I imagine you could come up with a reason why they have to spend bank on not being torn apart by forces beyond their control.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2016, 07:13:25 AM »

wizards have to have enough eye of newt and enough books to nuke their foes, clerics have to appease their patron deities with lavish rituals and or sacrifices, druids have to maintain plants and feed and look after the animalst hey use. Scorcerers are tricky but I imagine you could come up with a reason why they have to spend bank on not being torn apart by forces beyond their control.

For how to mecanise it in game I agree with you a hundred %.

My problem is that anyone who is functionally portable artillery would never be cast out of society and have to bribe himself back in.  He is just to usefull for the people in power.  You could probably feed a whole village on the salary a single Mage could make in tha army.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

the doomed one

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2016, 10:28:31 PM »

For how to mecanise it in game I agree with you a hundred %.

My problem is that anyone who is functionally portable artillery would never be cast out of society and have to bribe himself back in.  He is just to usefull for the people in power.  You could probably feed a whole village on the salary a single Mage could make in tha army.

The people in power hates/distrusts magic, thus, the practice of it is made illegal. Something for which there is definitely precedent in fiction.

Obviously there would still be people who recognize the usefulness of magic, and are willing to hire mages. Their retirement plan is to get out of that particular kingdom/country/region, or something to that effect.
Games I own: 13th Age, Dragon Age Box Set 1, Eclipse Phase, Shadowrun 5th, Paranoia XP, Iron Kingdoms, (new)World of Darkness, Werewolf, Pathfinder, D&D 4th edition, Exalted, Savage Worlds, Warhammer 40,000 Dark Heresy, Traveler, Deadlands (classic), Don't Rest Your Head, and many others in pdf

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2016, 06:06:28 AM »
Take a leaf out of Forgotten Realms book and Red Markets and have a spell scar equivalent?

Redroverone

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 01:35:04 PM »

I'd just call it "knives".

There's plenty of evidence for obsidian trading back in 7000 BC or so.

http://history-world.org/firsttowns.htm

When Jericho was rebuilt in later centuries, the wall reached a height of
nearly 15 feet, and the fortifications included a stone tower at least 25 feet
high. The area covered by the town increased. Round houses gave way to
rectangular ones, entered through larger and more elaborately decorated wooden
doorways. Houses were built of improved bricks, were provided with plaster
hearths and stone mills for grinding grain, and were furnished with storage
baskets and straw mats. In addition, small buildings that were used as
religious shrines were found in the later stages of the city's history.

Though the economy of Jericho was based primarily upon the farming of
wheat and barley, there is considerable evidence of reliance on both hunting
and trade. Domesticated goats provided meat and milk, while gazelles and
various marsh birds were hunted for their flesh, hides, and feathers. The town
was close to large supplies of salt, sulfur, and pitch. These materials, which
were in great demand in this era, were traded for obsidian - dark, glasslike
volcanic rock - semiprecious stones from Anatolia, turquoise from the Sinai,
and cowrie shells from the Red Sea.

The ruins excavated at Jericho indicate that the city was governed by a
distinct and quite powerful ruling group, which was probably allied to the
keepers of the shrine centers. There probably were specialized artisans and a
small merchant class. In addition to the fertility figurines and animal
carvings found at many other sites, the inhabitants of Jericho sculpted
life-sized, highly naturalistic human figures and heads. These sculptures,
which may have been used in ancestor cults, give us vivid impressions of the
physical features of the people who enjoyed the wealth and security of
Jericho.

If Jericho's not an Enclave at that time, I don't know what is.

sinanju

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »

...and if you do it right, you can really step hard on the mages' humanity tests. For instance, in a game I played in many years ago, we had a list of potions one could brew, with the primary ingredient listed for each. Potions of blinding required...three blinded mice. Potions of fear required..the heart of a drowned cat. (If it was just a job, you a put noose on the end of a long stick and did it as neatly and quickly as possible. If you were sadistic, chainmail gloves and tub of water would do.) And so on.

"You're going to drown the cat to make a potion. Roll or take some trauma, you sadistic bastard."

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2016, 05:11:31 AM »
I have been trying to figure out what sort of setting would allow for the profit system to be played in a world with classic DnD characters.  So a world where a mage can throw fireballs around and a priest can be a substitute Jesus and heal the sick in person.

Warriors, and Roges are not a problem, you can slot them right into the Profit system.  But I can't figure out a world where a magic user who break the laws of physics and a priests that can make miracles would ever be in the position of having to make their own retirement plans.

Any ideas?

For Mages? Easy. Welcome to the AD&D Dark Sun magic system.

Dark Sun, what is : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun

http://www.athas.org/

http://darksun.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Sun_Wiki (mostly 4th ed which is not ideal)

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dark_Sun

Wizards in Dark Sun (ie Defilers) : https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Canon:Dark_Sun#Classes

Wizards

Arcane spellcasters draw their power from life itself. Most wizards draw their power from plants. There are two basic types of wizard:

Defilers, who draw their power quickly, killing plant life around them, and significantly sterilizing the soil those plants were in, rendering it impossible to grow new plants there for centuries. This defiling of the land is why the once healthy planet is mostly a desert. Very powerful Defilers are able to draw power from creatures as well. Powerful Defilers (such as Dragons) can kill people in this manner.

Preservers, who draw their power more carefully, enabling them to cast their spells without destroying plant life, but sacrificing spellcasting power. Very powerful Preservers are able to draw power from creatures as well. Powerful Preservers (such as Avangions) have this ability, but they will not seek to kill with it.
Most ordinary people on Athas don't know of the difference, and treat all Wizards as being Defilers, responsible for the destruction of Athas.

Sorcery is almost unheard of, though it has been noted in dragon-descended individuals. (Paizo version only)

The Veiled Alliance, an underground organization of preservers (though membership is not entirely limited to that class) with resistance cells in all city states and most major villages, is bent on the destruction of the defiling Sorcerer-Kings (low-level dragons themselves).

A handful of very rare (or mutated) Wizards can power their spells from other sources - the Sun, or the Cerulean Storm itself.

Priests

Priests[edit]
Unlike most D&D settings, there are no 'real' deities. It is also not possible for someone on Athas to become a deity because the spiritual conduits that allow them to draw power from their worshippers do not exist on Athas. However, people worship, and receive power from other things:

Elemental Clerics draw their power from elemental sources and frequently come into conflict with one another.
Paraelemental Clerics draw their power from the paraelements (Sun, Silt, Rain, and Magma). These priests are fewer in number than elemental Clerics and often have similar abilities as the two closest elements. (Imagine a spectrum, similar to colors, that goes: Fire-Sun-Air-Rain-Water-Silt-Earth-Magma-Fire-Sun-...).
Druids, who draw their power from Nature (or what's left of it) and are often the most vocal and violent opponents of Defilers.
Templars, who are granted their power by the Sorcerer-Kings themselves.

Enjoy