Author Topic: RPPR Patreon Discussion Thread  (Read 118121 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
RPPR Patreon Discussion Thread
« on: February 26, 2016, 03:46:27 PM »
We're on Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/RPPR

We also have a companion site here http://afterhours.roleplayingpublicradio.com/ - it indexes all of the content available to Patreon backers and links to it, so you don't have to scroll through hundreds of posts on Patreon.

This thread is about discussing the Patreon - what you like, what questions you have about it, and things of that nature.

If you're a $10 backer or above and you have NOT received a postcard, please contact me on the Patreon so I can mail you one.

For non-backers what is keeping from you backing? Just financial reasons? Does the site not accept the payment form you prefer to use? Something else?

For backers, what do you want to see more of? Less of?

PirateLawyer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: RPPR Patreon Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »
For non-backers what is keeping from you backing? Just financial reasons? Does the site not accept the payment form you prefer to use? Something else?

Lack of time. It's not lack of interest or lack of money.

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 05:05:58 PM »
I may well be in the minority but as a backer I don't actually consume very much extra content. I see the Patreon as an easy way to pay for the content and the level of compensation is one I choose. Even if you did none of the extra stuff I would still donate at my current level. In actuality I have a small fear you will burn your self out trying to do extra stuff for the Patreon backers and the over all product would suffer. It has not happened yet mind you but in someways I see it like a kickstarer that has over run stretch goals and the creator eventually could resent all of the extra things they have on their plate to do.

You might ask why if this is how I feel I had not used other mechanisms to donate and really the answer is that I am lazy and Patreon makes it easy to manage a number of donations in a single interface so I only started to donate once you got onto Patreon.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 05:41:14 PM »
I am well aware of the burn out possibility. I've tried to design the extra content to be easy for me to produce - after hours and wod the heck are just round table discussions, which are easy to make. I only run 1 patreon game a month because I have enlisted Aaron and other RPPR cast members to run games. I am trying to streamline my work as much as possible. The Patreon does a lot to alleviate that problem because it means I don't have to chase freelance work as much.

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 06:21:25 PM »
I'm at the $10 level, which I think is a fair price (a bargain, even) for the amount of value and entertainment provided by the main podcast and AP podcasts.  Having access to After Hours, WoD the Heck, and options to play in online games is a great reward for recurring payments.

I don't really have any suggestions for improvement; the only thing I find a little worthless is the "early access" to APs being only a day ahead.  But, some listeners might really like that. 

If you do want ideas for additional content, some podcasts on Patreon release mini episodes in between episodes.  Maybe record a quick and dirty extended shout out (like, 10-15 minutes or something), without any editing or adding music or whatever, and just drop that to Patreon backers every week (or two weeks). 

Just glad the Patreon (and the site!) continue to be a success. 

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 07:10:21 PM »
Yes! I approve of the idea of shout-out minisodes idea. I crave more interesting things.

smalltowncinema

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 05:20:14 PM »
Just finished the WoD The Heck actual play and it was so much fun to listen to, though I feel having these gonzo AP's too frequently would definitely get tiresome.  Quarterly might be a good schedule.

I'd also be into seeing an old WoD campaign as a milestone goal sometime in the future. 

BishopSansPants

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 02:38:14 AM »
I started listening to you guys mostly for the Actual Plays, but since I don't have as much time to listen anymore (I moved and got a job that wasn't quite as mindless to do), my two favorite things that you guys do are the After Hours and Game Designer Workshop (or whatever you guys are calling it now to differentiate from GDC or Warhammer fame).

After Hours is pretty awesome and that along with your regular stuff is enough for me (although I have been enjoying WoD the Heck a lot, and I still enjoy your APs when I get the time).

So, I guess I'm just echoing what the others have said -- keep on keeping on.

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »
I increased my pledge in order to help RPPR upgrade The NET, but I'm not sure how long I can dedicate $25 a month (lol, teacher).  A few months for sure, though.  Other supporters might be in the same boat.  Any thoughts on restructuring the Patreon rewards to place emphasis on the higher quality server first, to make sure the website runs smoothly?  Or is this more of a one-time, annual cost that won't affect the way the Patreon is setup going forward?

RadioactiveBeer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 09:29:52 PM »
As a non-backer, financial reasons were my primary reason up until very recently; I had a long gap between my last job and the one I have now. Now that I'm in more stable employment with decent (but not great) pay I might set up a small pledge.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 12:40:41 AM »
The cost for RPPR has gone up quite a bit, but if we at least stay close to the $2k level, we should be fine. Pretty soon, $5/month backers will get even more rewards as tehy get 4 preview episodes of tabletop tales a month.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »

A little bit on the money side, but mostly lack of time as well for me. Backed during 2015 until I realized I had no time at all and had a backlog of seven episodes and a bunch of APs with no time to listen to either.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 02:52:36 PM »
Yeah, I can see that being a problem. We do have RPPR Illustrated - which are desktop wallpaper sized pictures but other than that, but other than that I don't see much of a way to create rewards for fans that don't have much time.

Gorkamorka

• Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 03:33:26 PM »

A little bit on the money side, but mostly lack of time as well for me. Backed during 2015 until I realized I had no time at all and had a backlog of seven episodes and a bunch of APs with no time to listen to either.

You could just back to support something you like and not for rewards...
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »
I backed the Kickstarter for Red Markets, even though I don't have easy access to US dollars. No need to call me ungrateful.