Author Topic: RPGs that MUST be made  (Read 17196 times)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
RPGs that MUST be made
« on: June 06, 2009, 11:09:48 AM »
Personally, I can think of two:

1) Dark Tower - Stephen King's ultimate series is perfect and ripe for RPG action! There are tons of storylines possible and considering the world jumping aspect of things, it would be easy to do supplements of King's other novels as well.

2) Chuck Palahniuk novels - Imagine a world where all of Chuck Palahniuk's books were existing at the same time. What a kick ass RPG of brooding that would take place! Sessions would begin at the end and then flash back to the beginning where the players would have to try and figure out how to get to that point. Awesome.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: RPGs that MUST be made
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »
Obviously, someone could make these games with any good generic system, but I would love to see an officially licenced version of F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack world. His books are very cool, they are a mix of Lovecraft and street smarts.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

klaatu

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 01:23:17 PM »
1.  Steven Brust's Dragaera setting from Brokedown Palace, The Khaavren Romances, and the Vlad Taltos books.  Three species, five magic systems, plus action and adventure!

2.  The Land from Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

3.  The Dresden Files, of course

...and I know I've got more, but I'm house-sitting and so I'm not near my book & movie collection.

Rygel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 02:46:36 PM »
  Power Rangers.  Awesome villains, great bad guys, incredible character development.  It's ripe for RPG action.

... ok, in all seriousness, George R. R. Martins "A Song of Fire and Ice."  But I think that might have already be done.  Haven't had a chance to check it out.  Yet.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:59:03 PM »
I'd like to see a hardcore wilderness survival RPG with lots of material on how people can survive in the wild. Ultra-realistic and 90% of the conflicts comes from surviving all the shit nature throws at you.

a well researched organized crime rpg that gets the politics and crime right. Think like Reign but with the yakuza and mexican mafia.

a RPG that covers the challenge in undertaking a massive project - think the Manhattan Project or building the pyramids. Rules for managing resources etc.

A RPG with org rules similar to Reign but also offers tactical grid combat for the squad - Xcom or Jagged Alliance the RPG basically.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:50:29 PM »

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »
Don't knock the Power Rangers! I've had a few ideas for short stories to try and legitimize the Power Rangers, but all my ideas end up being a little too Dark Knight Returns.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:49 PM »
... ok, in all seriousness, George R. R. Martins "A Song of Fire and Ice."  But I think that might have already be done.  Haven't had a chance to check it out.  Yet.

It has been. They have the book at my local bookstore.

I vote for Disgaea.

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 02:35:46 AM »
"NFL: the RPG" ... nah, that'd suck unless it was ridiculously over-the-top like Eyeshield 21 or something.

How about one based on Robotech that isn't balls?  No, seriously.

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 02:56:37 AM »
"Real Life" the Role Play game

Fun for the whole family

Role play as a Business man pushing papers at the office

Play as a housewife cleaning up after those silly children

Or how about playing a construction worker taking a nap during his lunch break

The possibilities are endless!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 06:27:40 PM »
I'd like to see more games based on licensed properties that don't suck. The main problem I see is that a lot of them (Serenity, Wheel of Time, Babylon 5) adhere to the show/book/movie that the only kinds of PCs that can be made are mix and match clones of canon characters and the only settings given any description are those from the show. Sometimes this outright cripples the system, sometimes it just makes it so that the group has to do a hell of a lot more work. Either way, there's such a huge opportunity to expand on things with an RPG, but it rarely gets taken advantage of, either because of the nature of the license or because of laziness. And a lot of the other licensed properties just outright get turned into shitty games.

Aside from that I'd like to see games based on Ghost in the Shell and Fallout, at the very least. The Empire of Man series by David Weber and John Ringo might be fun to play around in. Same with the Honor Harrington series. I'd like to see a good "classic" Final Fantasy game, as well as a good Diablo game. Yes, I know that both could probably be modeled with some flavor of D&D, but I'd like to see something more specific. Diablo in particular would benefit from the additional detail to the setting that an RPG could provide. I'd like to see a Star Ocean and/or Tales RPG. Front Mission could be a really fun game too, rather Battletech/Mechwarrior-esque.

3.  The Dresden Files, of course

This is actually being worked on. It's supposed to use the Fate system (a la Spirit of the Century).
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

silentjudas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »
I'd like to see a hardcore wilderness survival RPG with lots of material on how people can survive in the wild. Ultra-realistic and 90% of the conflicts comes from surviving all the shit nature throws at you.

use F.A.T.A.L. for it.....HAHAHAHA

a well researched organized crime rpg that gets the politics and crime right. Think like Reign but with the yakuza and mexican mafia.

Oh that sounds lovely. You could just update Reign. Wouldn't be TOO hard to do

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 02:24:16 AM »
Ya know, I think an Avatar rpg would be pretty neat.  Just made for more mature players and not kids.

Come up with some kick ass elemental powers and what now

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

arthwollipot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 05:12:42 AM »
For a while there I was seriously considering a Harry Potter roleplaying game.

Yes, I know there already is one.
This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.

klaatu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »
3.  The Dresden Files, of course

This is actually being worked on. It's supposed to use the Fate system (a la Spirit of the Century).

I don't know that system, but I'm not at all surprised.  The novels and setting are practically designed around creating an RPG -- a worldwide organization with designated ass-whoopers (Wardens), and if you want to run a low-power game, there's Paranet!  It's like Ars Magica Madern!  (Or, like the antitesis of Mage, but that's not coincidence.)

If the system doesn't suck ass, I can harness my natural laziness and quit working up my ORE homebrew.

As for a licensed game that doesn't blow, preach on, preacher!  Trouble is, it's more work to make a good product, and then the PR people have to deal with it being panned on message boards by all the mouth-breathing purist fan-boys typing with one hand.

I'd imagine a lot of licenses also "protect the property" by ensuring that the licensee is yoked to the story already told.  (Though I remember reading that the license for the first B5 game just required "major" additions and changes to be run by production staff for approval, so maybe not.)