Author Topic: Looking for ideas/feedback for a New World Colony campaign  (Read 13492 times)

Zergor

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Looking for ideas/feedback for a New World Colony campaign
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:46:36 PM »
Heya fellow gamers, I'm prepping the next set of adventures in a campaign, my players are lvl 5, D&D 4e. The new world primer has given me many ideas as it is very close to what I was going to do anyway.

Thus far I'm prepping the colony for the players. I've figured out the basic size of the colony is about 600 strong, a list of businesses or rather the merchants that came over to start a business, the workforce, military size, slaves, etc.. Not trying to decide what other details my players are going to ask.  guessed it took about 10 ships to get that many people here along with some supplies.

My hook for this trip was that back in the old world the players assisted a king in reclaiming an ancient royal crypt, inside they found the undead remains of a cursed adventuring group that had returned from a exploration journey. They had been sealed in the crypt along with everything they had brought back, to keep the curse from spreading. The players had been hired to enter the crypt and get all the gold out, as the kingdoms current economy was in dire straits and they needed whatever they could get, and no longer remembered the curse, or why the crypt had been sealed. At any rate inside the treasure horde they found maps and other things from a far away land, still unexplored in the current day, as well as items, and a sealed coffin from the new world. That's where the players are picking up, and heading to the new world in search of riches and treasure. 

I'm trying to just get a general feel prior to moving on, as to what things my players my ask about, want to do, and wanted some feedback. Like should I do much in game other than a narration of the journey across to ocean? What things would you ask you DM if you were heading into this situation as a player?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ideas/feedback for a New World Colony campaign
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:32:04 PM »
I wouldn't worry so much about what your players are going to ask, but instead make sure you have a top down power structure of the colony plotted out. If this is an exploration - for blood and profit - type of colony your leadership should reflect such. You should have a number of warlord types as your colony leaders and any punishments for breaking with (un)written codes of conduct should be dealt with severely. (Probably, given the nature of the colony, theft would would of the highest priority.) Furthermore, your players will probably enter act with a lot of other low level goons that won't know what the hell is going on anyway, so lead them astray...
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:35:34 PM »
it sounds like a good start for the game but I can't think of anything yet that I didn't write in the primer. Let me know how the first game goes and I can provide more specific advice.

Murph

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:20 PM »
Just ran my first session of the new world campaign!  It went fairly well.  The Pcs got to shore, met the Black Ravens, secured some water for the colony, and fought some lizardmen.  I recorded the session, so I might post it if the quality is good enough.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:12:29 PM »
Just ran my first session of the new world campaign!  It went fairly well.  The Pcs got to shore, met the Black Ravens, secured some water for the colony, and fought some lizardmen.  I recorded the session, so I might post it if the quality is good enough.

I would like to here it if ross dont care you posting your links here.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:23:47 PM »

That's great! You can post it if you want. I'm going to set up a second feed for RPPR solely for Actual Plays and sooner or later I'll start posting other groups (provided they meet certain audio quality standards) so post it here and maybe it will be on RPPR some day. 

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 11:45:05 PM »
Hmmm.  Its 127 megs in mp3 format.  I used Audacity to recorded it in there naitive format.  Does anyone know how to compress it down to a more reasonable level?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 11:47:59 PM »
Hmmm.  Its 127 megs in mp3 format.  I used Audacity to recorded it in there naitive format.  Does anyone know how to compress it down to a more reasonable level?

what did you record with? Can you save it as a mono mix instead of stereo?

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 11:54:59 PM »
Its the crappy mike that came with the computer.  I'm not having much hope about quality, as this was kinda an afterthought.  We'll have to see.  I'll try your fancy mono thing.  I think I can split it into chunks also.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:16:30 PM »
dont be scared to post it all if im willing to download it with my phones net then im sure everyone else should be willing to with there faster connections.

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:59:04 AM »
The size isn't a problem for the download.  I'm just not sure where to host a file that big : D

Actually I'm going to listen to the whole thing today, do a little editting tonight (Theres a five minute section where someone is looking up the rules for a spell which would be terribly boring, so I want to cut that out), and split the thing into a few half hour chunchs.

But to summarize, I had them meet a few important NPCs on the boat before disembarking, at which time they went to look for water.  They tromped around in the woods for a bit, rolling quite badly on nature related checks, so I had them meet up with a hunting party of Black Ravens.  They eventually  got to the Black Raven's river, and negotiated for the rights for the colony at its current size to take enough water for the day that day everyday.  On the way back they ran into another hunting party and traded them for some meat they had just "caught" (see the adventure hook in the primer).  That night, as everyone is celebrating being on land, having fresh meat and  fresh water, some lizardmen show up.  The PCs were content to hide in their tents, so the lizardmen went to took the meat.  At that point the PCs jumped out of hiding, and proceded to thrash the lizardmen.  One of them made the point of taking two of them alive, so I might get to reveal the whole story next session. 

For next session I think my major hooks will be
-Hmm those Black Raven's pulling the cart to get the metal we promised them look awfully not alive.
-The Gray Fangs seem much more peaceful then the Black Raven's led us to believe
-The lead lizardman was wearing a skull I hinted was magical.  Inside the skull will be a small Lemurian artifact (not in the game mechanic sense)
-The colony needs a permanent site.  Someone should scout out that island called "Gripoli Island"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:11:18 AM by Murph »

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 09:41:12 PM »
http://rapidshare.com/files/248333893/First_sessionThe_New_World.mp3.html
MD5: 89BF25DF3D8419C279D2AA5CBAF33637

If more than 10 people download it, I'll re-upload it.  Apologies in advance for the quality.  It was recorded on a crappy mike, in a busy comic shop.

In the recording
Spence - Brence, a monk/cleric.
Jeremy - Relic A druid with a hawk named Murph.  He's fairly new to roleplaying
Jim - a gnome named George.  Jim has a reputation for wandering and being a little argumentative.

Criticism is welcomed.  I can already say, I should have been better prepared with names.  Also, I havn't played 3.5 for about 8 months, so I should have reviewed the combat rules.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 11:41:34 PM »
i been having trouble with my phones internet so maybe thats the problem but i cant seem to download it. the download starts but it never actuly downloads.

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 06:22:47 AM »
Its probably because its on one of those download sites that makes you wait a minute before downloading.  Not real sure of a solution : (

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 04:07:52 AM »
Its probably because its on one of those download sites that makes you wait a minute before downloading.  Not real sure of a solution : (

yeah who knows im trying to download it now on my PC whis me luck haha!