Author Topic: Age of Masks AP Thread  (Read 22170 times)

Richard

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Age of Masks AP Thread
« on: August 18, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »
We're on session 2 now, and, frankly, I'm surprised no one has posted any praise for it!

Other than the first session, where Ross seemed his head was still stuck in CoC mode, it's great! I just kind of wish we had an idea what each PC looked like- I keep picturing The Revenent has having a white hood mask (kind of like Knockoff from the META4 setting), and when i picture The Recluse, I think of 'The Shadow'.

Ross seems to be having a little bit of trouble with the system, but I don't rightly blame him- I'm about to run an M&M game myself, and I also find myself going 'Wtf' at some rules (like 'dodge bonus'- I'm not sure if it GIVES them an extra half rounded-down bonus to their Defense, or if it's just their Defense half rounded down)

I do, however, like the story and how it's proceeding. It's a shame that there's (from what I heard) only 3 APs.

Good job, through and through, boys!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Age of Masks AP Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »
I like the games well enough. I love the Mutants and Masterminds system and listening to the play kind of throws me. I mean, I have no idea why they where rolling their defenses.

It was difficult to figure out what the proper theme of the game with all the characters trying their own thing. Aaron bouncing around, Jason's oddities, and Tom being fairly self contained. It felt like it dragged alot to me.

I guess it wasn't as awesome as I'd hoped. It was good and not as good as I thought it could be.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:19:45 AM »
Mechanics aside, I am absolutely loving this series of APs. I am really into the story and the characters.

In fact, when Ross clarified that the Recluse was not like the spider, I immediately thought of a tough-as-nails mask called "The Brown Recluse"!

He main weapon is a gas-powered needle gun that shoots Brown Recluse venom. It is a silent weapon with a short range. It only makes a ~pfft~ sound as it fires a needle.

His other weapon is a gas-powered gun that shoots a bolas at someone. This entangling weapon is his "web".

His costume is black and brown with a small red stylized spider symbol on the upper-right chest of his uniform.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »
I like the games well enough. I love the Mutants and Masterminds system and listening to the play kind of throws me. I mean, I have no idea why they where rolling their defenses.

It was difficult to figure out what the proper theme of the game with all the characters trying their own thing. Aaron bouncing around, Jason's oddities, and Tom being fairly self contained. It felt like it dragged alot to me.

I guess it wasn't as awesome as I'd hoped. It was good and not as good as I thought it could be.

You're suppose to roll defense- You roll attack against defense and then damage against toughness. That's how *I* read it at least.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:17:17 PM »
You're suppose to roll defense- You roll attack against defense and then damage against toughness. That's how *I* read it at least.

I can't find that anywhere in the core book, which is why the AP got me so confused. Page 150 of the Mutants and Masterminds Core Book lists Defense as: "... the Difficulty Class of an opponent's attack roll."

It's 10 + Defense Bonus + Size Mod. + Misc. Mods.

It sounds stupid, rules are what I focus on and deviation from them without specific mention of house ruling throws and annoys.

And now I'm starting a war in a thread meant to discusse the game, not the system.

I'm going to try running a game of this myself, hopefully convince some of my players to try Mutants and Masterminds.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »
I liked session 3 the best, but Ross hasn't posted it yet. Then again, I played in session 3 and that might be why I liked it.

I wish we could do more M&M as well.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »
Yay cody as a Mask! haha!

Tissue

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • I am a rock and roll star
    • View Profile
    • Sirkus
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 04:57:05 AM »
The 3rd game is easily the best game.  Great ending.
www.myspace.com/sirkusrocks

This is my band,  check us out.

Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:32:49 PM »

I can't find that anywhere in the core book, which is why the AP got me so confused. Page 150 of the Mutants and Masterminds Core Book lists Defense as: "... the Difficulty Class of an opponent's attack roll."

It's 10 + Defense Bonus + Size Mod. + Misc. Mods.

It sounds stupid, rules are what I focus on and deviation from them without specific mention of house ruling throws and annoys.

And now I'm starting a war in a thread meant to discusse the game, not the system.

I'm going to try running a game of this myself, hopefully convince some of my players to try Mutants and Masterminds.

I kinda saw the rolling as Risk-esque with D20s- Attack VS Defense, Damage VS Toughness. But, being an avid WhifeWolf gamer, I have that whole 'rules are there to bend, break use or discard freely' mindset.

But, back to the actual play: I can't believe those guys are power level 10. I've found power level 10 characters to be, in their own right, overpowered, then to hear this group getting beat up by a bunch of PL 2 goons is really...well, makes me go O_O

Since this is a neat little setting Ross has cooked up, I decided that, someday, I will run an Age of Masks game as well. Maybe someday after me and my group are down our current M&M game, which is more of the standard Superhero-fighting-Supervillains style.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 03:08:15 AM »
Most of the players were new to making M&M characters and I highly restricted access to what kind of powers they could take.

Valegor

• View Profile
    • Fear the Boot
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 02:36:51 AM »
I have been enjoying this actual play so much that I went out and bought the Pocket Handbook for Mutants and Masterminds entirely based on how much fun it sounded here.  I am typically not a fan of most actual plays, but RPPR is certainly the exception.  Age of Masks in particular has me on the edge of my seat.  It is a strong story with a solid setting and interesting characters.  Keep up the good work and I can't wait for the next episode to drop.   

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »
I have been enjoying this actual play so much that I went out and bought the Pocket Handbook for Mutants and Masterminds entirely based on how much fun it sounded here.  I am typically not a fan of most actual plays, but RPPR is certainly the exception.  Age of Masks in particular has me on the edge of my seat.  It is a strong story with a solid setting and interesting characters.  Keep up the good work and I can't wait for the next episode to drop.   

yeah im enjoying it. but my fave if you havent gotten to it is the dig to victory. you should check it out. and from the sounds of it the new u-boat one is even better, its written/keepered by the same guy scott glancy.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:53:06 AM »
just got back from dragoncon - recorded a bunch of other games including a new age of masks game - in wild talents. Don't want to spoil anything but when I get some time, I'll upload PDFs of the pregen characters I made for the game

Atomica - atompunk gadgeteer (with nuclear powered gauss cannon)
Gray Fire - Occult detective
Raven Mocker - Shaman and executioner of the wicked
Sir Blackstone - Gentleman adventurer (complete with fully automatic elephant gun that fires DU rounds)
Dark Strike - Martial artist adrenaline junkie
Nocturne - mystery detective and vigilante

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 01:01:01 PM »
Fully automatic elephant gun? That is awesome.

xHero

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Dorothy: "Fuck it, I'll stay here."
    • View Profile
    • Swing And A Miss Forums
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 03:55:51 AM »
Most of the players were new to making M&M characters and I highly restricted access to what kind of powers they could take.

I've got to say, I can't blame you for restricting the powers. At least from a listeners perspective, it's much easier to appreciate the game when Mind-reading, time-traveling, aliens aren't involved. This is not an attack on other M&M Actual Play podcasts, I promise. (wink)
"Mmm...Franklin Salad: Tastes of 100 dollar bills, semen, and shame!" - APFMT gone terribly wrong... or right. Check out the Swing And A Miss Forums