Author Topic: Eclipse Phase  (Read 600884 times)

Tom Church

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse Phase
« Reply #225 on: June 24, 2012, 11:52:39 PM »
Hey, sometimes those monkeys need a push in the right direction.  Or a pull, depending on my mood.
"The upper class keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class pays all of the taxes and does all of the work.  The poor are there just to scare the shit out of the middle class.  Keep them showing up at those 'jobs'."  George Carlin

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
Question about Caleb's campaign.  Know Evil was made by Cognite correct?  If it was cognite and word got out about what they had created, what would happen to Cognite?
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »
Question about Caleb's campaign.  Know Evil was made by Cognite correct?  If it was cognite and word got out about what they had created, what would happen to Cognite?

Know Evil was created by Manjappa, who is not a Cognite employee. It was used on a Cognite station and was made from TITAN technology.

Any hypercorp caught weaponizing TITAN tech would be destroyed most likely.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2012, 05:25:59 PM »
Rather elegant really, using a TITAN based virus to [spoiler]clean up the mess caused by a TITAN.[/spoiler] Spoilers probably aren't needed, that AP has been out for awhile but some people might be behind.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
Tad is right. Below is my full explanation of what the PC's know about Manjappa's involvement on Thought (to date on posted episodes).

[spoiler]The secret Cognite bunker on Luna was raided by a TITAN, merely because TITAN's are like honey-badgers...inscrutable.

Cognite was storing the corporate ego backups of every researcher on Thought in that bunker. A TITAN could now tailor-make malware, Basilack, and YGBM hacks for everyone in the operation. Thought station was in charge of researching seed-AI (Augustine), and now at least one TITAn in the universe knew about it.

Rather than relive the Lost incident by trying to cover it up, Cognite confessed to the Planetary Consortium. The PC kept it quiet (because allowing Cognite's continued existence after the Lost project would have made them look just as responsible), but could not tolerate the existence of a bunch of seed AI scientists, highly vulnerable to the Exsurgent virus, walking around. They turned to their enforcement arm, Oversight, who in turn assigned an auditor known only as Manjappa.

Know Evil was Manjappa's (very effective) answer. If Yelena Chicako hadn't been undercover on the station, no one outside PC controlled ego banks would have ever known about the wide-spread ego corruption that occurred because of the virus; the station would have merely floated up there, secretive and forgotten.

How Manjappa got his hands on TITAN tech and learned to control it has yet to be revealed in the campaign, but we are getting there.[/spoiler]

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »
I find especially funny is that Cody was [spoiler]playing an Oversight pre-gen who got blown up in the early games because he had to stop playing (I assume, he just disappears after session two). If he'd continued to play the game with everyone else than this entire plot would have become a massive conflict of interest for him.[/spoiler]

This whole campaign has been filled with great call backs. Alot of the events Caleb is referencing above could have been discovered other ways: the players where always given two or three different paths to follow at major way points. If they'd followed the shuttle back on Venus instead of looking into Cloud-9 than things might have been totally different.

As Ross and Tom would say: layers upon layers.

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2012, 12:19:18 AM »
Ah.  Thanks. Its hard keeping everything straight.   I am assuming if word got out that the PC owned/controled Know Evil then there would be a serious PC disaster? 

Pyrite

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2012, 02:05:21 AM »
Ah.  Thanks. Its hard keeping everything straight.   I am assuming if word got out that the PC owned/controled Know Evil then there would be a serious PC disaster? 

If it could be proven, it would basically be the end of the PC as a viable political entity. There would be witch hunts for those responsible, and for those who allowed it to happen.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:59 AM »
Even a credible rumor, beyond conspiracy theories or extremist pundits making things up, that any faction possessed a weapon that is able to kill someone and their back up with no detectable signs of a problem would cause a mediafire storm for that faction.

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 04, 2012, 02:27:44 AM »
Just picked up Panopticon.  Man...there is much awesome conceptual stuff in there.  Uplift orcas!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2012, 12:55:19 AM »
A TITAN Haunted Universe part 1

by Bartleby

The Fall. A name as telling as it is inaccurate. Humanity did not fall when the TITANs devoured Earth. I am reminded of Saturn consuming his child. Though we birthed the titan, it consumed us, lost in madness. What does Saturn feel as he destroys his family? To kill family is to kill a part of oneself. What pushed Saturn to this hate, this fear? How does it affect him?

Humanity did not fall though. They rose. They flew up and away. Yet the event was dubbed the Fall, which tells us of their beliefs. It tells us the story they tell about the event. It is now and forever a fall from grace. A fall from a metaphorical heaven on Earth. A fall into the purgatory of the solar system or the hell of cold storage for the infugees. It also comforts humanity. One only falls from grace by the act of sin. An act they committed and now must pay, for the rest of eternity.  As with every myth, this is variation. One faction blames technology. Another blames war. Aliens. On and on, logic and reason are restored by the story of the Fall, a ritual to banish the madness of Saturn. One can imagine the titan's terrible gaze as all penetrating, all destroying. Its fathomless depths indecipherable to humanity.  They must have needed the myth of the Fall to ward such insanity.  That was then. This is now. Such myths only weaken those live today. We must recognize that clinging to the idea of a logical universe is a weakness now.

I cannot claim to know Saturn or his motives. But when I stare into his eyes, I see the pain. I know how he feels.

gambitraven

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Eclipse Phase Firewall
« Reply #236 on: July 16, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
 So instead of just push my players into firewall my idea is a kinda interview. What I think of doing is coming up with a questionnaire for the players.  I would split the players into pairs and have one play an npc firewall agent. Then when they are done switch up the players and do it again. Kinda a initiation processes. Give them a feeling that they are always being watched and judge.  I am hopping this gives players the feeling their story is vary much apart of the overall adventure.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2012, 12:25:30 AM »
the thing is, if you give them an interview, you have to assume they want to be in Firewall. Not everyone would want to be in that organization. Otherwise, a player could chose to fail the interview if there are no stakes.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2012, 06:31:11 PM »
I don't know if this is player logic or what but this is thread on the Eclipse Phase forums got way off topic: http://www.eclipsephase.com/guardian-nanoswarms

It's amazing really.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »
That thread is absurd. Is there such a thing as a non-rules lawyer? Shit, I would not want to play with that kind of techno-babble, whiny nonsense going on at the table.

My solution? "Sure, here's your nano-hive firing pistol. One clip will cost you 100,000 credits, but you can get the gun for only 50,000 more! Also, any scans on the weapons through customs will register as WMD's and a contract will be put out on your ego in every major system. Each bullet is also entirely vulnerable to EMP and becomes useless upon contact. If the bullets are struck by kinetic force equivalent to hitting a target in the barrel or the clip, they still eat everything nearby. Have fun."

Ridiculous...I need a nap after reading that.