Author Topic: Eclipse Phase  (Read 600881 times)

Kamen

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse Phase
« Reply #480 on: January 17, 2015, 08:59:17 PM »
If I remember correctly "A Glorious Fall" is a combination of Ross' own intro scenario set during The Fall and the pre-made scenario Glory, which you can a free PDF of on Rob Boyle's Wordpress blog or purchase a print/PDF of on DriveThruRPG.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #481 on: January 18, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »
Yeah I only have the intro tutorial adventure in outline notes. I pitched the idea as a full EP scenario but they didn't buy it. Glory came with the GM screen so you can use that.

applewood

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 16, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
And the first fabber has arrived....

Synthesis of many different types of organic small molecules using one automated process.

Science 13 March 2015:
Vol. 347 no. 6227 pp. 1190-1193
DOI: 10.1126/science.347.6227.1190

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/347/6227/1221.full.pdf

Alethea

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #483 on: March 16, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
So... I really want to play Eclipse Phase. Really, really want to. As in finally started signing up for Meetups in my area to try and find folks willing to run this. No luck so far.

How much of a bad idea would it be to make my first foray into GMing be in Eclipse Phase? This seems like jumping off the high dive in order to learn to swim... Any GMs, vetern and newbie alike, have opinions?
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 16, 2015, 10:19:45 PM »
The Quick Start rules/scenario do a fine job easing you into the game.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/87622/Eclipse-Phase-QuickStart-Rules

It isn't a complex game, really; the basic mechanics are BRP (same system as Call of Cthulhu).  There are some nitty-gritty things that take some getting used to, but the biggest challenge is understanding the setting and how to play it.  That might take some getting used to, but it is worth sticking it out.

As an aside, there IS a Fate conversion in the works, and you can get the first playtest draft here:

http://eclipsephase.com/readme-ep-transhuman-fate-playtest-forum-guidelines

I've read it, and like the way the rules are presented, but I have yet to play it, so I can't say if it is worth playing instead of the base game.  Still, it is an option, and might make digesting the setting easier.

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #485 on: March 17, 2015, 07:05:44 AM »
the basic mechanics are BRP (same system as Call of Cthulhu)

Every thing I know about Call of Cthulhu (and Better Angels, A Dirty World, Base Raiders, etc.), I learned from RPPR AP episodes; what's BRP stand for?
All the social media:

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 17, 2015, 08:01:54 AM »
Basic Role-Playing.  It is the foundation percentile system that Call of Cthulhu uses (i.e. you roll percentile dice and try to get under your target number/skill rating).

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 02, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
Firewall is out on PDF.  There is a glorious Vin Disel joke in the art.  Love that one.

I see that both Ross and Caleb had a part in it.  Can you guys say what parts you did?

And on a side note.  Dam you RPPR for making me spend more money :-)
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #488 on: April 02, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »
Firewall is out on PDF.

Have a link on where to obtain that? I didn't see anything on the Releases page at eclipsephase.com
All the social media:

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 03, 2015, 02:24:35 AM »
Firewall is out on PDF.

Have a link on where to obtain that? I didn't see anything on the Releases page at eclipsephase.com

http://eclipsephase.com/firewall-available-pdf-hack-pack-and-music
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 03, 2015, 04:14:55 AM »
Here's a quote from a Caleb section that, even before knowing he wrote it, I couldn't help but hear in his voice:

"The easiest way to remember what to do in a quarantine situation is to ask yourself: what would a Jovian do? If you eliminate “nuke everything” and“perform a hate crime” from the possible answers, the remainder makes for a nice to-do list of sufficiently paranoid countermeasures."

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #491 on: April 13, 2015, 05:00:08 PM »
All the social media:

TMayesing78

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 14, 2015, 01:33:23 AM »
I've attempted to run Eclipse Phase for my group twice.  And crash and burned both times.  The variety of skills, and the "complication" of changing morphs, along with concerns about threat assessment have all conspired against me. 

That said, I successfully ran Eclipse Phase at GenCon 2014.  So I don't think its strictly me.  I'm sure my group's impatience and unwillingness to read the setting material is contributing. 

That said I want to give it one more go.  Anyone have any suggestions for how to compile and summarize setting information (particularly "Why am I working for Firewall?", and maybe find a good list of "useful skills" along with definitions? 

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #493 on: April 14, 2015, 12:03:35 PM »
I think I've cooked up a good initial scenario for my "Futurama" campaign intro idea, meant to be a way to introduce the setting to players who haven't read the books.

The PCs are volunteer subjects of a very pre-Fall cryogenic project. Their backstories aren't really all that important; maybe each one has a basic character archetype like "techie" or "soldier". They go down for the nap, but unbeknownst to them the project is intended to be much more long-term than they were told.

They are awoken in a mostly ruined secret facility on post-Fall Earth, after a Firewall agent accidentally wakes them up hunting for some intel Macguffin. They meet the agent just long enough to see him get brutally killed by a TITAN robot. But he's running a backup fork in a ghostrider module, so he's still there, he just needs them to be his hands and feet to help him complete the mission, promising to farcast them out as a reward. So they do the operation, asking the agent whatever questions about their new world they want.

Upon their success, they get farcasted to a Firewall body bank on Titan, but since their very existence would prove that the operation took place, they're given the choice of either deletion or joining Firewall. They get muses and skillsofts to get them up to speed with current tech needs, and the campaign progresses more normally from there.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Lordsloth

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 15, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »
That said, I successfully ran Eclipse Phase at GenCon 2014.  So I don't think its strictly me.

Sounds a lot like my group. If I plan a game of Fantasy Savage Worlds, or Dungeon World, or even CoC, people drag their feet, act noncommittal, and cancel out a couple days before the game. Though a couple guys are into new/different systems, 2 or 3 of the others just do not seem to get into anything other than D&D. (Which I do like to play as well)
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.