Author Topic: The RPPR AP podcast site is now up  (Read 673434 times)

BeyondSandrock

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
Re: The RPPR AP podcast site is now up
« Reply #330 on: October 01, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »
Honestly I think the most impressive thing so far about this AP (1:03 in) is that you got Aaron to play.

Also that I don't want to look in any mirrors.

Considering I watched most of the Marble Hornets videos at night on release dates I was a little more than freaking out.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #331 on: October 01, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »
It's a good thing I have the Santa Claus game lined up after I listen to this one.

I just marathoned Marble Hornets and that creeped me out.  It's okay, though.  I didn't need to sleep tonight.  Or ever.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 01, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »
Honestly I think the most impressive thing so far about this AP (1:03 in) is that you got Aaron to play.

Also that I don't want to look in any mirrors.

Considering I watched most of the Marble Hornets videos at night on release dates I was a little more than freaking out.

Before the Skype game we were all (re)watching episode 26, which was a great way to get in the mood for the game.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

mathey

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 01, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »
Best thing about your horror investigation games? Listening to a bunch of smart-asses freak out In Character.

There's something to playing "average" people in extraordinary circumstances that really seems to click.

Sean-o-tron

• heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 02, 2010, 01:17:15 AM »
It's not the skype game.

>:(  >:(  >:(

I LIKE THE SOUND OF MY OWN VOICE OKAY

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 02, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
It's not the skype game.

Apparently this game was supposed to be "better," but I didn't see any better RP'ing.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #336 on: October 02, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
Yeah, at the end Ross said that you guys found the fraud in the city.  Was that how you "broke" the game?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #337 on: October 02, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
It's not the skype game.

Apparently this game was supposed to be "better," but I didn't see any better RP'ing.

It was better in that I had better material for the recorded city - the guardians and so forth

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 02, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »
Yeah, at the end Ross said that you guys found the fraud in the city.  Was that how you "broke" the game?

I won't tell how we broke the game. Ross will just have to post it. Let's just say we figured it out early and then had to figure how to execute our plan.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 02, 2010, 05:27:55 PM »
So Ross just told me the only way he's releasing the Skype version of the Fiddler's Green / Slender Man game is as a ransom episode. That's right, the only way anyone will hear the better version of the game is by paying for it.

Also, double post. Deal with it.  8)

Charlie72

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 02, 2010, 07:24:12 PM »
Nice AP, though I do have one slight problem with it. (soilered for people who haven't listen to the game yet.)
[spoiler] Slender Man's origin and motives. Moreover, the fact that he has an origin and motive.Slender Man is supose to be an enigma wrapped inside another enigma wrapped inside a fine suit made of enigma fibers.Giving him a human backstory makes him, well, more human. It makes him more relatable and less scary.Now he does have an objective (spread) , but he he does it should be unkown. I'm not trying to say "YOUR DOING THE SLENDERMAN MYTHOS WRONG" I'm just saying your missing out on one of the greatest fears you can offer: the fear of the unknown. [/spoiler]

Also, the radio show you were thinking of is Coast to Coast AM

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #341 on: October 02, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »
[spoiler]This is the rumor I based Slender Man on: (from http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=120418 )

Take a look at some of your old photos. Do you have one that's a street scene, maybe from a vacation? Look at it closely. See that guy in the background, in the dark suit? You have to look carefully the first time.

Now look at some other photos. See that figure in the background? Yup, same guy.

He's in the background of a lot of your pictures. Anything where there's a crowd. Always a crowd. He doesn't want to stand out. It's not just you. He's in everyone's pictures. He's stuck there, has been for a hundred and fifty years. Back in 1839 he stopped for a shoeshine, and Daguerre trapped him. He's been trying to find a way out ever since.

Try looking at the pictures again in a few years. He'll be a little closer to the camera.

I know there's a fine line between under and over explaining stuff in horror but these scenarios help me figure out the Slender Man mythos. Once I'm fully satisfied with the underlying structure of my take of Slender Man, I'll probably leave it a little less explained. Also, it's bullshit if you don't explain a weird horror thing enough - the horror of realizing what the supernatural really is is also pretty scary.

[/spoiler]

Charlie72

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 02, 2010, 10:13:09 PM »
[spoiler]This is the rumor I based Slender Man on: (from http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=120418 )

Take a look at some of your old photos. Do you have one that's a street scene, maybe from a vacation? Look at it closely. See that guy in the background, in the dark suit? You have to look carefully the first time.

Now look at some other photos. See that figure in the background? Yup, same guy.

He's in the background of a lot of your pictures. Anything where there's a crowd. Always a crowd. He doesn't want to stand out. It's not just you. He's in everyone's pictures. He's stuck there, has been for a hundred and fifty years. Back in 1839 he stopped for a shoeshine, and Daguerre trapped him. He's been trying to find a way out ever since.

Try looking at the pictures again in a few years. He'll be a little closer to the camera.

I know there's a fine line between under and over explaining stuff in horror but these scenarios help me figure out the Slender Man mythos. Once I'm fully satisfied with the underlying structure of my take of Slender Man, I'll probably leave it a little less explained. Also, it's bullshit if you don't explain a weird horror thing enough - the horror of realizing what the supernatural really is is also pretty scary.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]All you need to explain is what Slendy does, not who he is or why he does it. If you most give him a backstory, don't make him a human, make him an idea. He should be the reson parents tell their kids not to go too far into the woods or not stay out at night. People don't know what came first Slendy or the storys about him. All they know is that he's been here for a while.

Once again, not trying to diss your interpretation. I've always wanted to have a MaoCT game where Slender Man is a reverse engineered, anti-monster MIB shock troopers[/spoiler]

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 02, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]All you need to explain is what Slendy does, not who he is or why he does it. If you most give him a backstory, don't make him a human, make him an idea. He should be the reson parents tell their kids not to go too far into the woods or not stay out at night. People don't know what came first Slendy or the storys about him. All they know is that he's been here for a while.

Once again, not trying to diss your interpretation. I've always wanted to have a MaoCT game where Slender Man is a reverse engineered, anti-monster MIB shock troopers[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm sure you're just as experience in horror as Ross is. As in, I'm sure you've written a few horror films and filmed one of your own and written and GM'ed over 1000 horror games, but that could be the most cliche idea ever.[/spoiler]

Charlie72

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 02, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm sure you're just as experience in horror as Ross is. As in, I'm sure you've written a few horror films and filmed one of your own and written and GM'ed over 1000 horror games, but that could be the most cliche idea ever.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Jez, I was just making a sugjestion. No need to get all defensive. Like I said three times now, Ross can run a game any way he wants. Never claim to be the master of horror.[/spoiler]