Author Topic: Question about Future New World Supplements  (Read 25877 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Question about Future New World Supplements
« on: November 12, 2009, 09:45:08 PM »
Ross and I have been kicking around ideas about what kinds of future New World supplements we would want to write as soon as my PhD preliminary exams are over. So far we've been discussing doing a Revolution/War for Independence supplement. I've also suggested maybe doing a Utopian supplement (those of you readers out there might realize that More's eponymous text was inspired by exploration of North and South America) and maybe a Post-Revolution/War for Independence supplement that focused on bards and nationalism.

But I wanted to hear from what you guys would like to see. What kind of supplement would be of interest? What would you use in your own campaigns?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Question about Future New World Supplements
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »
Well, there's whole Cortez/heart of darkness plotline I used for the paragon tier. Players had to face down a fallen paladin who took over quite a few tribes through fanaticism and force of arms.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:00:12 PM »
Well, there's whole Cortez/heart of darkness plotline I used for the paragon tier. Players had to face down a fallen paladin who took over quite a few tribes through fanaticism and force of arms.

Thanks Ross, I completely forgot about that. And I'm the one that originally came up with that character. :D
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:55:09 PM »
lawl sounds good to me! give it a few months and ill actuly be able to finaly contribute to the ransom. haha.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 06:18:01 PM »
I quite enjoy war settings, especially older styled ones where battles are fought over wide range with little communication. The slower pace of an "old" war lends itself well to turn based gaming.

Plus, you get to be involved in diplomancy and the political elements of the war when you play table top.

rayner23

• Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »
Perhaps the next suppliment could be dealing with Cortez and all the shit you have to go through for that? I mean, that was the biggest portion of paragon tier.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

CaladbolgX

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • A proud member of the NerdBound gaming group.
    • View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 05:01:28 PM »
If you are still drawing from American history as an influence, I suggest that writing an arc based on the Civil War might prove interesting. Considering first and foremost that this is fantasy, you could force players to face the question of slavery directly and dynamically; in RPPR's actual play, although the topic has been addressed lightly in the past, it has always been the business of private enterprises and the colony as a whole does not seem to have an official standing (unless I missed something, i.e.).

The supplement could very well play into separating the party into sides as a specific mechanic. Whatever the case, you have the ethical argument and politics as RP fodder and, on the other hand, the war itself as the stage for encounters.

Just a thought, anyway.
The world ends with you.
http://twitter.com/JudgmentVII

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »
If you are still drawing from American history as an influence, I suggest that writing an arc based on the Civil War might prove interesting. Considering first and foremost that this is fantasy, you could force players to face the question of slavery directly and dynamically; in RPPR's actual play, although the topic has been addressed lightly in the past, it has always been the business of private enterprises and the colony as a whole does not seem to have an official standing (unless I missed something, i.e.).

The supplement could very well play into separating the party into sides as a specific mechanic. Whatever the case, you have the ethical argument and politics as RP fodder and, on the other hand, the war itself as the stage for encounters.

Just a thought, anyway.

I like the moral problems with dealing with slavery, but really from American history race relations during the Revolutionary War were much more interesting, especially in the American South. I'm currently reading Slave Nation, which makes the argument that the consolidation of the colonies that led to the Revolutionary War itself was a direct result of the Somerset case in England that was instrumental in making slavery illegal on the isles. Southern plantation owners were concerned that these juridical changes would affect slavery laws in England's colonies. Moreover, during the Revolutionary War, England's actions regarding Southern slaves are even more interesting.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
Anyway, Cortez will def be the focus of the next New World PDF. Question: how important is the 4E specific stuff? I've gotten some feedback on the primer and the hulk but not one word pertaining to the 4e monster stats - good or bad. If no one uses them or really enjoys them, then that frees me up to focus on writing more fluff/systems neutral material.

ugnis13

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »
personally, I play 3.5 New World. I dont really care about the 4E stuff. I dont mind, but I dont care.

on a separate note, how many sessions of the actual campaign have you played so far? And do you plan to play to level 30? I'm curious to know
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:40:34 PM by ugnis13 »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »
I like the 4E stuff. I can't use most of it in my current Epic Tier campaign, I do plan to use it when I get them back down to heroic and paragon.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
personally, I play 3.5 New World. I dont really care about the 4E stuff. I dont mind, but I dont care.

on a separate note, how many sessions of the actual campaign have you played so far? And do you plan to play to level 30? I'm curious to know

Around 30 sessions - I'm not 100% sure of how many because I suck at remembering things.

We will go to level 30 but once we finish paragon tier plotline we will jump from level 16 to level 21.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »
You'll love Epic Tier, Ross. You get to kill your PCs once a day and they get back up so you can do it again the next day.

I "total party wiped" my Epic Tier players in a fight with one big blast from a dragon (I mean not 100% to dead, they'd been beaten up alot before getting to the dragon), and then they all got back up and won the encounter. One of them died a second time, but the Cleric poured a potion down her throat so she got better.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
Just finished paragon tier tonight. It had a pretty impressive ending. We will take a few weeks off from the new world - run some other stuff and then on to epic tier.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:21 PM »
 Now that the AP site is up we can kinda catch up and laugh at the current event jokes in there current time line! haha!