Author Topic: Episode 40: First Time GMing  (Read 15533 times)

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
Episode 40: First Time GMing
« on: January 22, 2010, 03:12:53 AM »
Just wanted to congratulate you guys on another great show. I really like the episodes where you bring in special guest speakers, especially when Cody is among them. (I had to go back and listen to The Bad Player episode again just so I could laugh at Cody's "THE WITCHBLADE!" story a second time.) I thought it was really interesting to hear from Aaron after running his first series of successful games, as well as the other veteran GMs in the crew. I'd definitely recommend this episode to new GMs who want to get a feel for how to run a good game.

On another note, I can't believe Tom started running games when he was eight! I kinda wish I had been there for the TMNT Terminator crossover. I could see eight year-old me really enjoying that one. Just another reason I belong to the Tom Church Fanclub, I guess.

Looking forward to the next episode, as always.

jonnygadfly

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Was not put on this earth to 'get it.'
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 40: First Time GMing
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »
I think that Tom should re-write his TMNT/Terminator game using Mutants and Masterminds and record it as a Actual Play. :D

And what the hell is a key-blade (they did say "key-blade," right)?
"See? That was nothing. But that's how it always begins. Very small." -Egg Shen

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »
I think that Tom should re-write his TMNT/Terminator game using Mutants and Masterminds and record it as a Actual Play. :D

It's the plot device/weapon of the game series "Kingdom Hearts", the RPG series that combines SquareEnix characters with Disney characters.

The keyblade, or rather keyblades, change their backstory to fit the needs of the series but their basic job is to open and close locks. In most cases these are physical, literal locks but in others the locks are ethereal or stellar in scale.

A keyblade is a mystical object and is able to choose its wielder, who can summon or dismiss the weapon with a thought.

The main character of the was originally the Keyblade Wielder. Now he is just a keyblade wielder.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »

It's the plot device/weapon of the game series "Kingdom Hearts", the RPG series that combines SquareEnix characters with Disney characters.

The keyblade, or rather keyblades, change their backstory to fit the needs of the series but their basic job is to open and close locks. In most cases these are physical, literal locks but in others the locks are ethereal or stellar in scale.

A keyblade is a mystical object and is able to choose its wielder, who can summon or dismiss the weapon with a thought.

The main character of the was originally the Keyblade Wielder. Now he is just a keyblade wielder.

So I'm a  little familiar with the series, but not too much.  Is the key-blade really as much of a deus ex machina device as you make it sound?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »
So I'm a  little familiar with the series, but not too much.  Is the key-blade really as much of a deus ex machina device as you make it sound?

Not as much as it sounds.

The Keyblade functions as a means to an end in nearly as cases and provides a primary motivation for the hero to act. The game is produced by SquareEnix and alot of anime traditions make up the character's state of mind.

Importance of friendship and its ability to overcome and the seperation of heart (feelings) and mind (thoughts) are central to the story, especially as things continue to move forward with the series.

The series poses what might be interesting questions but it's primarily a kid's game so it provides simple answers, which I actually enjoy. Things are often left vague and the series bleeds the games together, often jumping backwards in time to do side games for portable systems.

So, really, the keyblade is a deus ex to explain character interaction. 'Why are we going to this world? To seal the keyhole of course.' 'Why is villain A attacking us? Because we have the keyblade.'

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:20:24 PM »
keyblades are really stupid

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 03:21:05 PM »
keyblades are really stupid

Well yeah, that's basically inherant to their design. If you don't get past that than you'll never enjoy the games, which, I assume, you don't.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »
 except for all of the little things I don't know about like keybaldes and such.
theses podcast have changed a lot of my thoughts about rpg's and i thank the crew for that.
I have learned a bunch of good tips from your podcasts since i have heard all of them now, some more intently then others. and i do feel they are getting better as they go by keep it up cast and crew of Rppr.
Kenders Rock

rayner23

• Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »
Now that we've exhausted our talk about keyblades, can get back to discussing Episode 40?
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 11:07:20 PM »
Now that we've exhausted our talk about keyblades, can get back to discussing Episode 40?

Quite so. So tell us more about these books your editting, Cody.

Avoozel

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 12:27:02 AM »
Getting back on topic? Zoom!

The episode brought back my earliest gaming memories.  Running WEG Star Wars and Red box D&D around the age of 10.   Before that, yeah, I played TMNT and Other Strangeness.   The first RPG I ever played was that Red Box D&D, then TNMT, 2nd ed. AD&D then Robotech, then Heroes Unlimited, then WEG Star Wars... then I stopped playing RPGs, and really only sat in with my brother's Vampire: The Masquerade group once... then came college, and with college, 3rd Ed D&D, GURPS, Traveller, Marvel Superheroes, ShadowRun 4th Ed., CoC D20, Fading Suns D20, D20 Modern, D20 Future... so... much D20... ... now my group is in talks to change over to Pathfinder. . . .

Why do the round dice roll so well, mommy?  :o   

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 12:36:49 AM »
after hearing about Turtles Forever http://tmnt.wikia.com/wiki/Turtles_Forever which sounds like something from a modern league of extraordinary gentlemen game and this talk of first time GMing/playing - I've developed an itch to run TMNT and other strangeness, the first RPG I ever played. I'll go scrounge up a copy and when I run it, I will record parts of character creation - rolling for random animal types and backgrounds

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 04:58:21 AM »
Off topic:
after hearing about Turtles Forever http://tmnt.wikia.com/wiki/Turtles_Forever which sounds like something from a modern league of extraordinary gentlemen game and this talk of first time GMing/playing - I've developed an itch to run TMNT and other strangeness, the first RPG I ever played. I'll go scrounge up a copy and when I run it, I will record parts of character creation - rolling for random animal types and backgrounds

That sounds really awesome, Ross. I'd like to hear that very much. Also, after reading the Turtles Wiki page you linked to and trying unsuccessfully to find a functioning copy of Turtles Forever on the Internet, I must say I'm also rather excited about a 1987 TMNT / 2003 TMNT crossover, even though crossovers are typically the devil. I've never watched the 2003 series, but seeing that old 1980s Saturday morning animation style really brought me back. 

On topic:

A friend of mine recently attempted a beginners D&D module for the second time after an abortive first try in which he didn't have any graph paper or minis and refused to let us look at the map. As a player who is new to D&D, let me just say that it's about 5,000 percent better when you don't have to visualize a battlefield with five adventurers and twelve or thirteen angry kobolds and keep track of all their movements entirely in your head. That said, I had an enormous amount of fun at the Take 2 game, realizing as I played that the game was successful in large part because my friend followed many of the suggestions that Ross, Tom, Cody and Aaron gave for first-timers, even though he hadn't listened to the show. He kept it simple--strictly combat with only a smidgen of roleplaying--and I assume he will continue to do so until we all get a better feel for the system. He was also willing to try again, even though the first time he ran it, the dungeon delve didn't go so well.

There is one bit of advice that I think the RPPR folks didn't touch enough upon, a tidbit that new GMs should discover early and remember whenever they run a game: if a player asks a question that you don't have the answer to, make something up. Improvise. Especially if it's a small detail that escaped your notice beforehand, like what the patrons at the tavern are drinking, or a description of the fence surrounding the pit of angry kobolds. Be ready to come back with, "They're drinking mead and toasting their fallen comrades," or, "It's a wooden fence, about ten feet high, scalable in two turns." Or whatever. It can make the difference between players engaging with the story and players fixating on a small but seemingly very significant hole in your story.

It's your world. Don't be afraid to blaze a trail through it.

rayner23

• Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 04:18:31 PM »

Quite so. So tell us more about these books your editting, Cody.

A book titled "Our Sentence is Up" by Patrick Meaney is coming out this summer. It's about the Invisibles by Grant Morrison. I edited about 130 pages, but I don't think I'm getting an editing credit. Also, his movie "Talking with Gods" is coming out this year. It is also about Grant Morrison. I haven't watched it, but it has to be amazing.

"Gotham City: 13 Miles" will be out late Summer or early Fall. I've edited the whole damn thing and I am proud of it. It analyzes the 60's Batman TV series in meticulous detail. Everything from the villains to the style to the music to pop art are examined. Also, famous Batman-scribe Chuck Dixon is has an essay in the book, so you have to buy it.

Coming down the pipeline is a book about the Fantastic Four (which I am writing a Dr. Doom essay for) and a book about Captain Marvel, Shazam, that I am working on slowly but surely. Support Sequart so they will keep giving me money to edit!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:01:09 PM »
I'm interested in "Gotham City: 13 Miles". I watched the show alot when it ran on daytime repeats in the late 90s and early 00s. They did alot of little information bits about the show and the actors during the breaks and stuff but full analysis would be something new. And god knows there's alot fo analyze in that show.