Author Topic: Genuinely Scary Horror Movies  (Read 18421 times)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
Genuinely Scary Horror Movies
« on: January 31, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
I was at my nieces 18th birthday party today and she tasked me to find a 'good' horror movie.
To my personal horror, I went blank.

We rolled out a few Titles-
  • The Thing
  • IT
  • The Descent
  • Hellraiser
  • The Ring

But i felt strangely empty. It wasn't enough. So I task you, oh great and horrible masses, to find me a movie that will make my niece crap her pants, roll into a ball, cry for her mother and Vote BNP!

Btw I nearly mentioned Watership down, but that's something I find terrifying and has scarred me for life... though the feeling isn't shared by others.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Genuinely Scary Horror Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:49:15 PM »
Incident at Lake County:

[Rec] or Quarantine

Let the Right One In

Cannibal Holocaust

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
Malefique. Session 9.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:42:28 PM »
How about some classics?

I would have to think that the Exorcist has lead to the most sleepless nights after viewing.  Never look at green pea soup in the same way again.

How about the original Omen?  Actually, the scene from Omen II still has me looking around whenever I get on an elevator.

For new movies I agree with Quarantine.  One of the few movies that if I had been in, I would have just given up about half way through.  Just eat me and get it over with!  I ran a Dread scenario that was based on Quarantine, the day after.  The virus gets loose at the CDC.  It was a combination zombie flick and the original Andromeda Strain.  Trying to escape the lab after the army has locked it down and with the "infected" chasing you.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:01:31 PM »
it, was scary back in the day, now... it did not age well. the ring? who thought that was ever scary? hell raser was good but it wasent realy scary.

hum, scary movies?

the origninal excorcism is great. thats prob top of my chart. atleast that i can think of now.

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:03:48 AM »
I thought that Inside was a pretty fucked up, genuinely scary flick. Here's the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

I think it's definitely worth a look.

Also, gotta agree with Wooberman on The Descent. Cannibalistic cave creatures = horrific shit.

TigerStorm

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:35:44 AM »
or Quarantine

Quarantine makes your list of scariest? Really?

Then again, when I saw it, it was with a VERY skiddish girl who freaked out constantly during the movie. I spent most of the time laughing at her... I was laughing too much to really be scared.  ;D

pwvogt

• View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »
What about The Strangers? I never saw it, but goddamn if it didn't look terrifying. I also liked Quarantine and thought it was an excellent zombie flick. I'd like to see [rec] at some point as well.
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »
or Quarantine

Then again, when I saw it, it was with a VERY skiddish girl who freaked out constantly during the movie. I spent most of the time laughing at her... I was laughing too much to really be scared.  ;D

It's unrelenting. It never has a cheap laugh or breaks the tension. Things get worse and worse. Very tense and atmospheric.

Paranormal Activity has some good scares.

Suspiria and Deep Red are freaky ass horror flicks

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 01:16:53 AM »
or Quarantine

It's unrelenting. It never has a cheap laugh or breaks the tension. Things get worse and worse. Very tense and atmospheric.

Paranormal Activity has some good scares.

Suspiria and Deep Red are freaky ass horror flicks

Paranormal Activity, I realy liked, but I feel it was much more scary based off the large crowd in the theater, if its just you and a couple of friends in a house not so much. In the theaters I was chearing at the end hoping it would eat the corpse. My mom watched it at home realy didnt get that great of a thrill out of it, but after reviewing it with her she got the feeling that I did from the theater. The big thing for me in that movie was the demonoligest they recomended calling, wich is a real one that occationaly is on Coast to Coast and he tells some hella scary stories.

TigerStorm

• Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 01:19:41 AM »
What about The Strangers? I never saw it, but goddamn if it didn't look terrifying.

I would classify that as more of a "thriller" movie than "scary"... it was very suspensful and definitely creepy, but I was more wierded out than scared

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »
This isn't out yet but looks like it has potential
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

IDaMan008

• Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
This isn't out yet but looks like it has potential

Ughhh, one continuous shot? That's a bit rough on the brain. It'll probably be really unsettling to the audience though, so it might actually work for a horror film. It sorta worked for Hitchcock in Rope, after all.

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 12:46:06 AM »
Inside

Creepy as fuck french horror film.  Looking at a pair of scissors will make you cringe after watching this movie.
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »
scary or so utterly disgusting that you yearn for the days when goatse could actually affect you?

BEHOLD

THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE