Author Topic: Game Fodder / Story Fodder  (Read 731880 times)

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

mathey

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Game Fodder / Story Fodder
« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Updated+Ninth+human+foot+found+washed+West+Coast/3452455/story.html

Paging David Lynch, paging a Mr. David Lynch.

And, I don't know that this quite fits into the non-fiction source of these game/story ideas - and I think Ross already mentioned it on a past podcast but I'm still putting it here because its GREAT. Its called Red Riding Trilogy. Its based on a novel series set in Yorkshire during the 70's and 80's during a string of serial murders. The Yorkshire Ripper was real, but the series embellishes on the actual (brutal) crimes by crafting a web of conspiracy, fairy tale symbolism, widespread corruption and neo-noir despair around them with a big cast of Grade A English actors. Its a bit like The Wire crossed with Zodiac and a James Ellroy novel and I heartily recommend it if you're not squeamish and are okay with being utterly depressed when you watch it. I hear the book series (by David Peace) involves more overt occult references and is also really superb. Better yet, all three episodes are streaming on Netflix.

Here's a trailer:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2010, 01:08:15 AM »
A random, but possibly neat idea seed for a game (I think it would work especially well at a convention):

The PCs are divided into two groups before the game actually starts, and the two groups are essentially exploring the same area (though they start in distinctly different places in the area).  The "kicker" I guess is that one group is there some period of time after the other group.  Really I just like the meta aspect of discovering that the other people at the table are exploring the same place, just either before or after their group.  I don't really know what else you would do, it just seemed it would be fun to realize halfway through that you aren't going to run into these other characters...

If someone figures out a cool scenario somewhat like this, let me know, I'd love to see how it would play out...

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2010, 10:49:55 AM »
I live in a small town near Stockton, CA. Who would have thought I would be living near comic book game fodder.(Granted you'd have to embellish a little. Either that or you can run a "Kick Ass" style of game.)

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=94501

It's like I have a bunch of Super Villains hanging out around me.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=94135&provider=top
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #260 on: September 10, 2010, 01:07:33 AM »
50 posts about cyborgs

http://50cyborgs.tumblr.com/

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2010, 04:18:48 PM »
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Weeping_Angels

This is awesome horror game fodder.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 30, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »
The first truly habitable exoplanet, only a mere twenty light-years away.

http://news.discovery.com/space/earth-like-planet-life.html

http://news.ucsc.edu/2010/09/planet.html

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 30, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »
Diciples of the Worm + Congenital Insensitivity = Delta Green goodness.

The race to stop a man/woman from being united with a Worm, because if he/she is, they will be fully cognicent and have nothing to fear from the Worms nasty side effect.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:01:28 PM by Flawless P »

Salkovich

• Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 30, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
Diciples of the Worm + url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_insensitivity_to_pain]Congenital Insensitivity[/url] = Delta Green goodness.

The race to stop a man/woman from being united with a Worm, because if he/she is, they will be fully cognicent and have nothing to fear from the Worms nasty side effect.

Unless I misunderstood, wouldn't a person like this still be pretty screwed when it comes to the Worms? The debilitation of a Worm is the pain + the drugs and spells you have to be under to keep the Worm sedated so you don't bloat into a big ol' bag of baby worms. So this person would still need to be sedated if they had a Worm in them. Right?
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 30, 2010, 11:54:30 PM »
Diciples of the Worm + url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_insensitivity_to_pain]Congenital Insensitivity[/url] = Delta Green goodness.

Unless I misunderstood, wouldn't a person like this still be pretty screwed when it comes to the Worms? The debilitation of a Worm is the pain + the drugs and spells you have to be under to keep the Worm sedated so you don't bloat into a big ol' bag of baby worms. So this person would still need to be sedated if they had a Worm in them. Right?

I haven't read the book I only heard what was in the interview but I thought the sedation was so you could attempt to function while you are in intense pain.

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 01, 2010, 12:03:14 AM »

I haven't read the book I only heard what was in the interview but I thought the sedation was so you could attempt to function while you are in intense pain.

Same - but my impression was it was for that too, but it's also to keep the Worm sedated so it doesn't reproduce constantly. So I suppose someone who couldn't feel pain and was infested with a Worm would have a leg up on the other cultists, but would still not be the perfect immortal that the Disciples are attempting to create.
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 01, 2010, 12:45:26 AM »

Same - but my impression was it was for that too, but it's also to keep the Worm sedated so it doesn't reproduce constantly. So I suppose someone who couldn't feel pain and was infested with a Worm would have a leg up on the other cultists, but would still not be the perfect immortal that the Disciples are attempting to create.

My buddy has the book, I called him and he said there is a Ritual that they do everyday to suppress the reproduction as well as eating some hormone suppressing herbs.

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2010, 01:18:29 AM »

My buddy has the book, I called him and he said there is a Ritual that they do everyday to suppress the reproduction as well as eating some hormone suppressing herbs.

Right on, so that's a lot more feasible. Still wouldn't be a perfect villain but pretty damn scary. 

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2010, 01:41:52 AM »

Right on, so that's a lot more feasible. Still wouldn't be a perfect villain but pretty damn scary. 

I think the threat of him making it to the worms would be scarier than if he actually did make it. I mean he won't be an incredible badass sorc right away, but he has all the time in the world to become incredible.  So the threat he represents is to the future. I am thinking of making this part two of my groups first delta green scenario.