Poll

witch alignment do you like to play the best in D&D?

lawful good
6 (15%)
neutral good
8 (20%)
chaotic good
6 (15%)
lawful neutral
4 (10%)
neutral
7 (17.5%)
chaotic neutral
4 (10%)
lawful evil
1 (2.5%)
neutral evil
2 (5%)
chaotic evil
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: alignment  (Read 29549 times)

Order66

alignment
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:00:54 PM »

so are you a nuetral evil cleric of Nerull or a lawful good paladin?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:59:48 AM by Setherick »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: alighnment
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
I oscillate between NE and LG depending on the setting and who is running the game. I found I can play both effectively, but you'll have to ask Ross which I play better.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
Re: alignment
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
I loved my 2E druid, but God damn, I can't stand the TN alignment.  (I played him leaning NG, and the DM either consciously let it slide or didn't have the balls to call me on it.)

I'd like to think I can play the other alignments, but I tend toward LG in most cases.  (No, if I were in the Age of Masks campaign, I wouldn't have stolen the book from the library, either.)
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:20:14 PM »
I  Play Any alignment Exept for LN and TN.

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:27:19 PM »
Help! Witches!

Alignments are silly.  However, I've been on a jerk noble kick, think the Lannisters from Fire and Ice, or Rigel from Farescape.  They allow you a good deal of options on where you can take the character, if its even crazier, or to actual redemption

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 05:07:14 AM »
My own characters have too often been killed by wandering paladins for me to play any thing south of LN.

But I haven't played in so long, so the fear might've died down by now.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »
I usually play NG or CG. My only evil characters are NE I had a character that got turned into a Vampire so he went from NG to NE
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »
I like the 4E alignment system. I play the nice straight forward Good most of the time except when I want a shady character and use Unaligned.

In 3rd Edition I played primarily True Neutral with some Lawful Neutral and Neutral Good characters.

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
I like the 4E alignment system. I play the nice straight forward Good most of the time except when I want a shady character and use Unaligned.

In 3rd Edition I played primarily True Neutral with some Lawful Neutral and Neutral Good characters.

I'd have to disagree with you there.   The 4th ed alignment system is sort of this vestigial tail that should have been left out entirely, or expanded upon greatly.  As is, it doesn't really add anything.   Its one of the things on my short list of complaints with 4th ed.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »
I like it because it's about as simple as can be. I just don't use it as it exists in the books.

According to the developer's notes they wanted alignment to be something more potent in the new edition. They talk about most of the world being without alignment (unaligned) and those with a true alignment wear it like a shield. Basically, being helps Good protect you from Evil.

So, it would be more accurate for me to say I like my spin on the 4E alignment system.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 05:19:07 PM »

I'd have to disagree with you there.   The 4th ed alignment system is sort of this vestigial tail that should have been left out entirely, or expanded upon greatly.  As is, it doesn't really add anything.   Its one of the things on my short list of complaints with 4th ed.

D&D needs some kind of alignment system because alignments have real, tangible properties in the world. Good and Evil are just as real as fire and water and all kinds of magic shit wouldn't work if good and evil alignments didn't exist. Holy avengers, demons etc.

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 08:01:45 PM »
I'd disagree.  There's no need for an anti-paladin class or dark avenger class, because you can portray evil paladin with normal paladin rules, possibly a tad of flavor rewritting (which should be done for every character, because it's fun), or change the damage types from radient to necrotic.  Also, since PCs arn't made of good or evil, why have alignments for them?  Let the monsters who are made of these things have the quality.  The whole background system, and the upcoming themes from Dark Sun will portray PCs in a much more mechanically satisfying and accurate way

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:52:58 AM »

I agree with the other guys it plays well with Avengers and Pallys, outside of there it grays out a bit, but if you have good roll players they will attempt to stay close to there alignment and if they start to stray just let them know more acts like that your gonna change alignment and have posible problems.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:17:16 AM »
The way I looked at alignment for 4E was that it was a visible element of characters. Unaligned people are just blanks but if you have aligned yourself with Good, than people know it just by being around you. Same with Evil. I try to make that a benefit for players and a weakness for enemies where an Evil NPC will have to go through more effort to avoid being clearly seen for what they are (though alot of really Evil individual don't care if other people know).

Order66

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 12:54:07 AM »
ST ???
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:26:08 PM by Order66 »