Author Topic: Begging for assistance, GURPS Templates  (Read 5769 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Begging for assistance, GURPS Templates
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »
Inspired by the new episode of the podcast and my recent gaming events I've decided to plan out an investigation game. My players are sci-fi and fantasy buffs by a large, though they do enjoy CoC on occation, and to keep them interested I've decided to use something I know all of them enjoy: Mass Effect.

The game's outline is a fairly simple cop investigation theme placing the players as members of C-Sec, the civil protection service of the Citadel, or one of their contract investigators.

Basically I'm asking for help from anybody else who's played some GURPS and Mass Effect to lay out racial templates for the major races and jobs of the setting. I have vague ideas and I'm flipping through my GURPS books to get more. I only have the basic set but I might pick up some of the sci-fi ones if they have good information to draw on.

So, not asking for people to do this for me or anything, I'd just like some feedback on ideas for traits which a given race or job definitally requires.

nekomata

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Begging for assistance, GURPS Templates
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »
Space has military templates that I use quite a bit, plus advise on building aliens, and a terrifying star system generator. You have to be crazy to use it though since there's no software for it. Biotech has lots of interesting racial tempates that can work for aliens. Ultratech has all the weapons and gear you need, must of the game seems TL11. Light armor would be TL11 fabric suit, forget what its called, Med TL10 hardsuit, and heavy TL11 hardsuit, or space combat armor since that's vacsealed. There's no gravtech shotgun, but the rest of the weapons are there. Haven't read the psionics book though, but the basic set should be good enough for mass effect. Biotech also has better cybernetics then Ultratech, my opinion though. None of the other books I have would be useful though, thier mostly just fluff. But Biotech and Space have tons of character and racial templates, Ultratech has the gear.
Just because you aren't drunk now doesn't mean you won't have a hangover tommarow.
The only thing worse then zombies is nanotech zombies that are immune to disintegration.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »
Let me dig my GURPS books out. I'll try and give some suggestions. I was thinking of doing a Mass Effect game except using BRP because GURPS is way too complex.  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:58:49 PM by Kroack »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »
Its complex and it covers the most area. The reason I want to design templates is so my players have little need to learn everything about the game unless they really want to.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Races

Asari Suggestions
Enhanced INT
High Appearance Level
Mind Reading (The Joining)
Telekinesis (Skilled at Biotics?)
Unaging? (They do age and die around 1,000 right?)

I'll continue later.