Author Topic: A Study in the Logic of Gaming  (Read 142463 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: A Study in the Logic of Gaming
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
Scotty always wants to take twenty instead of just rolling.

Chekhov's player is the group's roleplayer and think the accent is "being in character".

I'm enjoying this excerise. Perhaps I need to make a new thread for this sort of thing.

Let's not forget Ohura who was the token chick gamer.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »
I think Ohura is that one guy in the group who always plays a woman.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2009, 09:52:47 AM »
I think Ohura is that one guy in the group who always plays a woman.

Take it back! She was a fine, foxy lady!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Corrosive Rabbit

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »
Uhura was the character who had all her skill points put in Communication Tech, and as such couldn't do anything else with any hope of success.  As a result, the player of this character sits back from the gaming table drawing in a sketchbook through the whole gaming session, and rolls a die only when someone says in a loud voice, "Mike!  Roll communications!"

CR
A bullet may have your name on it, but hand grenades are like spam for the battlefield.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »
all I can say is that the movie was the shit!!!! and sulu was the martial artist trained in melee weapons
Kenders Rock

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
And I think every game should have a Leonard Nimoy NPC in it regardless of the system or setting.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »
Just found a comic that I feel tells of the aftermath of a player character:

http://somethingpositive.net/sp11162007.shtml

Melvar

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2009, 11:15:31 PM »
I'm the DM for a D&D 3.5 campaign.  Along the middle of the continent there is a sheer cliff ~.5 mile straight up.  Along the road, which runs right into this cliff, is a gnomish elevator manned and operated by none other than gnomes.  The gnomes want to charge the PC's 3 silver pieces to take the 3 of them plus the 3 war horses they are riding to the top of the cliff.  The PC's think that they are above paying tolls and proceed to kill all the gnomes at the bottom of the cliff.  They then think they will be able to figure out how to use the elevator.  Needless to say, they needed the help of the gnomes at the top of the cliff.  After hearing the battle and seeing their buddies killed refuse to help.  So the PC's are forced to climb up the elevator.  One thought he was going to carry his warhorse up with him... I said no to that one (which proceeded to be a very lengthly argument with the PC saying that he can drag X lbs and he'll just drag his horse up the elevator while climbing... uh.. NO).  So the PC's get to the top and the gnomes have removed some components needed for elevator use and split.  After a failed check to track the gnomes, they went on their way.

So, the PC's saved 3 sp at the expense of 3 warhorses, a few hours of lost time, and a very long walk along the road to the next town.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2009, 11:32:17 PM »
hahaha great story.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2009, 03:08:45 AM »
I'm the DM for a D&D 3.5 campaign.  Along the middle of the continent there is a sheer cliff ~.5 mile straight up.  Along the road, which runs right into this cliff, is a gnomish elevator manned and operated by none other than gnomes.  The gnomes want to charge the PC's 3 silver pieces to take the 3 of them plus the 3 war horses they are riding to the top of the cliff.  The PC's think that they are above paying tolls and proceed to kill all the gnomes at the bottom of the cliff.  They then think they will be able to figure out how to use the elevator.  Needless to say, they needed the help of the gnomes at the top of the cliff.  After hearing the battle and seeing their buddies killed refuse to help.  So the PC's are forced to climb up the elevator.  One thought he was going to carry his warhorse up with him... I said no to that one (which proceeded to be a very lengthly argument with the PC saying that he can drag X lbs and he'll just drag his horse up the elevator while climbing... uh.. NO).  So the PC's get to the top and the gnomes have removed some components needed for elevator use and split.  After a failed check to track the gnomes, they went on their way.

So, the PC's saved 3 sp at the expense of 3 warhorses, a few hours of lost time, and a very long walk along the road to the next town.

A horse weighs over 1000 pounds and a warhorse is more like 1500 pounds. How strong was the PC? Plus horses PANIC at all kinds of shit. I would have let him try if he was strong only to see what happens when a PC climbs up a cliff with a very strong horse strapped to his back.

Melvar

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »

A horse weighs over 1000 pounds and a warhorse is more like 1500 pounds. How strong was the PC? Plus horses PANIC at all kinds of shit. I would have let him try if he was strong only to see what happens when a PC climbs up a cliff with a very strong horse strapped to his back.

Well.. there's a story all by itself.  He was a warforged with a STR of maybe 20, not extreme, but not common.  And he was using the logic of draging his horse which is (I believe) 5x your max load with the silk rope he had with him.  So he could easily drag 1500 lbs.... along the ground.  He said it's not much different to drag it up the side of a cliff using the elevator rigging to balance himself.  I informed him it was quite different and that the maximum load he can pull up the side of the cliff is the max lift above your head amount (which was less than what a horse weighs).  Knowing this, the PCs decide to all add up their max lift (I inform them that they will have to leave some gear in order to use the whole amount).  They are fine with this, they will climb the cliff naked...  So it's a party of 3 and I allowed them to just be able to lift 1 horse.  Then, as you commented, I asked them how they were going to keep the horse calm during this climb.  One of the characters was a ranger with decent animal handling.  He said he would just calm it by using that skill.  I told him it would be terribly difficult to both climb and attempt to calm a horse on the end of a rope at the same time.  One of them got the great idea to just use the elevator after they got to the top.  So they abandoned that idea, climbed to the top and saw the gnomes took a gear or something (I don't remember) to prevent anyone else from using their awesome machinery.  Promptly said "Fuck it" and went on their way.

I asked them if it was worth it to kill the gnomes.  They said something along the lines of yes, it was out of principle.

*edit for fat fingers syndrome which causes me to push more keys than intended
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:21:54 AM by Melvar »

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2009, 05:36:02 AM »

I asked them if it was worth it to kill the gnomes.  They said something along the lines of yes, it was out of principle.

well that makes sense! haha!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:18:44 AM by Maze »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2009, 02:04:03 AM »
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=57020&page=13

the whole thread is fucking crazy (probably a troll but whatevs)

DM (Me) You enter a room with a large pool of water in it.

PCs: Good, we are short of water and we need to refill our canteens. But first we will check to see if it is really water. I'll cast Detect Magic to make sure the water is not enchanted.

DM: OK you cast the spell and the pool radiates no magic.

PCs: OK, we will have our cleric perform a ritual to see if there is any divine power upon the pool of water.

DM: The ritual detects no divine power upon the pool of water.

PCs: OK we'll have our psionist check to see if there is any danger in drinking the water by using precognition.

DM: There seems to be no danger sensed.

PCs: OK we will have our wizard cast Seek Water to see if in fact the pool is filled with water.

DM: The spell leads to the pool before you.

PCs: Alright, then we will put a canteen on a stick and then place it in the pool to fill it up and also to see what happens to the canteen.

DM: The canteen fills normally and the canteen seems fine.

PCs: OK, then we will have our alchemist analyse the water to check for properties like boiling point and reactivity.

DM: The alchemy properties are what you would expect from water.

PCs: Good, OK our cleric will cast Purify Water on the canteen to remove any possible poisons.

DM: The Purify Water seems to work.

PCs: OK, now we will need someone to test the water, any volunteers? No? OK, we will draw straws....looks like the psionist is chosen.

Psionist: OK, I will use my Danger Sense again to make sure. Then I will use my precognition power just to be safe.

DM: There seems to be no danger.

Psionist: OK, I will take a very small sip of the water...What happens?

DM: Sorry your mouth takes 8d+2 damage as the water was cosmically obscured lava powered by chaos that retains all properties of normal water until it is ingested by a sentient being.

Psionist Player: OK, I will make an elf Scout next so give me a few minutes.

dragonshaos

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2009, 03:12:29 AM »
Hahahahahahaha

:D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
Oh yeah, the old cosmically obsurced lava trick.