Author Topic: Gamer Merit: Respected Authority (Cost: 5 or 15 points)(Special)  (Read 5857 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
This week I got to play a game in a game shop (when it wasn't a big special event) for the first time in my life. I've never been close enough to a shop that I could join a regular game. So, I show up to play some Shadowrun with my character ready to play and discover that not only is everyone else still making their characters but that the GM has never actually run the game before.

I am, by default, the most experienced player at the table. Within five minutes, I'm sitting between two guys and helping them design their characters from the ground up. When someone askes a question, eyes (including the GM's) drift to me.

That inspired this week's Gamer Merit: Respected Authority.

A gamer to whom other gamers defer and ask questions of is a Respected Authority. This Mert is marked as Special for two reaons. One, it can applied multipule times (for each subject on which the gamer is an authority) and two, because it can apply to a single group or a collection based on its point cost. Each time this merit is purchase the gamer selects a subject and an area of effect for it to apply to. The subject can be anything but the area of effect determines if the merit costs 5 points or 15.

Subjects
A gamer with Gamer Authority is respected for their knowledge within a fairly narrow scope. This knowledge does not have to be directly related to gaming but since those areas come up more often the merit is more useful when taken with one.
Examples of common subjects include specific editions of games, specific subsystems of complex games, and detailed knowledge of places (real or fictional) where a game is like to occur (ie, New York, London, Hong Kong).
Less common subjects would be higher education (english major, physics, medical, etc...), real world practical skills which might come up in a game (real life blacksmith, policeofficer, peramedic), or unusual knowledges (janitor who knows how office buildings are set up).

Area of Effect
For 5 points this merit is only applicable to a single gaming group and the shared membership there of (3 to 8 individual gamers).

At 15 points the merit applies over a wider area because the gamer is recognised by a seperate authority figure or by simple word of mouth. In this case the effects of the merit may be used anywhere within the location linked to the merit (typically a game store or other congrigating site for gamers).

It is important to note that simply being an authority does not mean you will be able to call the shots. The GM still has control of the game and is free to use your information or not.

It is highly recommended that a GM have at least one Gamer Authority linked to the system he is running as a primary or long term game.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Gamer Merit: Respected Authority (Cost: 5 or 15 points)(Special)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »

this is me

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »
this is me

I would offer comforting lies but I've heard enough APs to know they would ring hallow.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »
 :'(

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 06:11:59 PM »
Do you get no respect Ross?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
No, he got forced to voice himself in an animated movie featuring himself as a dog.
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
can't even fucking kill a kobold