Author Topic: I am a horrible monster because I didn't let a player control another PC  (Read 83280 times)

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
Insulted? No, I suppose not. I didn't say you insulted him. I said you treated him badly. Using your podcast as a bully pulpit, to pile-on someone who has no chance to defend himself or his viewpoint, is treating someone badly. You could have had him on the show. You could have found someone who holds the same view. You didn't.

arguing semantics on the internet lol

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
Insulted? No, I suppose not. I didn't say you insulted him. I said you treated him badly. Using your podcast as a bully pulpit, to pile-on someone who has no chance to defend himself or his viewpoint, is treating someone badly. You could have had him on the show. You could have found someone who holds the same view. You didn't.

arguing semantics on the internet lol

You might as well be screwing for virginity   :-X

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
Personally, I'm with Mckma here. The situation doesn't even seem like one where it should have mattered so much. Making a comment like "dude he makes a good point. You should die now and stuff." probably wouldn't have made any difference at that stage in a con game. Even the bennie solution (which I tend to default to) would have been pretty meaningless that close to the end. How was Ross to know that the illusion of control was to be so important to someone else at that late stage of the game?

And to get things back on topic: How do you handle things when a character is being "convinced" towards something that their character fluff clearly dictates they are opposed to? i.e:

Captain McOrphan was orphaned and spends his life protecting orphans. It is the single most pressing goal in his character's life. Questionable Ethics Man wants to convince him to kill some orphans to save the city from tigers.

Let's say for this example that they are not playing in a system where there is a trait that McOrphan could take to indicate his love of orphans. As an alternate, what if there is such a trait available (such as "Passion: Save the Orphans") but the character does not have it? Should it make a difference whether he has roleplayed the character to this trait consistently?

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
I've listened to RPPR for a while, but I've never commented before. I never felt the need to before. But this time, I feel like I have to say something, even if it means signing up on a new forum to do so.

What I listened to today was just shameful. As I said, I've listened to RPPR for some time, I've enjoyed it, but this might be the most shameful thing I've ever heard on a podcast. An episode-long pile-on, on a guy who isn't even there to answer for himself? You could have made something good out of this. You could have Skype'd in Aaron and had a real discussion about it. Or you could have invited anyone who's played Burning Wheel or Dogs in the Vineyard or any other game that handles social conflict well. But you didn't. Instead, you used your podcast as a bully pulpit to shout down someone who criticized you (and rather mildly at that). I can see that you're angry about that criticism--after all, despite the relative mildness of Aaron's criticism, this thread is titled in the most overwrought terms--but being able to control your emotions when you're upset and still treat people with some common courtesy seems, to me, the very soul of maturity. "Adults," indeed.

Ross already said this, but I will reiterate:

He has his own blog where he blasts Ross and says that this one ruling had "ruined" the game. We were merely discussing the issue and aside from my comments (which I take full responsibility for and I said them because he wasn't there and because I am angered easily, I love easy laughs and I am , in fact, a coward) I don't think we were "piling" anything on. Do I regret saying we are adults? Not at all because it's fucking funny to think that someone who debates about a topic that is SO FUCKING STUPID is still an adult. I mean, let's face it, this has gone on far too long and considering that we're still debating it, I don't think any of us are really adults.

I won't apologize for my comments, but that's because this is the fucking internet and if Rich johnston won't apologize for printing bold faced lies about the comic book industry on his website, then I won't apologize for a stupid comment directed at someone who wrote a stupid blog. I will say, however, that I am very proud of you for defending the defeneseless here on the beast we call the internet. That is a very admirable and beautiful thing you have done. Right now, I think he should be listening to Elton John's "Someone Saved my Life Tonight" and thinking of you.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
I take everything back. Guys, Jesus was right. We really should just turn the other cheek.

(though when Jesus said that, I'm pretty sure he never took into consideration the appeal of blasting others on the internet.)
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
I take everything back. Guys, Jesus was right. We really should just turn the other cheek.

(though when Jesus said that, I'm pretty sure he never took into consideration the appeal of blasting others on the internet.)

I refuse to apologize or take anything back when someone gets on the forum and (1) starts spouting off about a topic he should have emailed Ross about because he must have known the ramifications (and it's not like Ross' email is private or anything) and (2) insults the entire forums without having been an active part of it.

You call those people trolls.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:28:15 PM by Setherick »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile

If you strike a good man, he shall turn unto you the other cheek. On the internet, the other cheek is Goatse. Think upon this before your strike your fellows. So sayeth Raptor Jesus.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog

If you strike a good man, he shall turn unto you the other cheek. On the internet, the other cheek is Goatse. Think upon this before your strike your fellows. So sayeth Raptor Jesus.

I love the RPPR forums for things like this.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Raptor Jesus also sayeth, I come not with the olive branch, but with sharp claws of fury.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

ethan_dawe

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
I love being part of a forum with this tenor.

Thanks for showing up and making hypocritical accusation against Ross (considering this was already talked about on the other guys blog and various podcasts) and sweeping statements about how narrow his experience must have been to not see this issue. I've been playing RPGs for 30 years and haven't seen it come up either. Thanks then for insulting the entire forum as having a "tenor" that doesn't suit you. Clearly I wouldn't find the "tenor" of a forum you felt comfortable on likeable either.

For the record Ross, I think you made the right call.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Re: I am a horrible monster because I didn't let a player control another PC
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2010, 12:33:47 PM »
I love being part of a forum with this tenor.

Thanks for showing up and making hypocritical accusation against Ross (considering this was already talked about on the other guys blog and various podcasts) and sweeping statements about how narrow his experience must have been to not see this issue. I've been playing RPGs for 30 years and haven't seen it come up either. Thanks then for insulting the entire forum as having a "tenor" that doesn't suit you. Clearly I wouldn't find the "tenor" of a forum you felt comfortable on likeable either.

For the record Ross, I think you made the right call.

Ethan, you have impressed me so much, that I shall give you a new nickname. From now on, you are "Cool Ethan."

malyss

• Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »
Two cents.

First penny) Ross is not a moderator on his podcast - he is a subject matter expert. He never claims to be a moderator, nor does he claim that the podcast is devoid of his personal opinions. I don't think it is even remotely wrong of him to profess his views. Part of the reason that I listen is because I WANT TO HEAR HIS OPINION.

Second penny) This is one of the mildest internet forums I have ever seen. The 'tenor' here is opinionated, without generally being personal. Granted, people respond personally when apparently attacked personally, but every time I have disagreed with someone (and that is reasonably often) my opinion is discussed, and their point of view is explained. I have never been 'piled-on' for having a dissenting view. I'm certainly not always agreed with, but such is life.

I'm sorry you don't feel that this forum is for you, but you have a chance to participate here, and if you follow your arguments through, you will find they are likely respectfully received and discussed. Unless you start flaming. Then it's on.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »
I'm not opposed to piling on in principle though

especially if it's order66

malyss

• Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »
That kid makes me laugh.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
I just read Tad's response to Aron on Aron's blog and I just wanted to say that Tad is totally badass. Good work, sir.