Author Topic: GenCon Preparations  (Read 87876 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: GenCon Preparations
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 01:24:12 PM »
I don't drive. I've never liked to drive and I don't have a license. I walk, bus, bike, or bum rides when I need to get around, hince my intense interest in finding a hotel with a shuttle service (though somebody to slip cab fair with isn't a bad back-up plan).

You must live in a city with decent public transit.

I do. I'm on the I-5 corridor in Washington state where we have lots of small cities packed together with alot of people going to Seattle for work everyday. We've got three different local bus systems. Unfortunitally my city bus system is a piece of crap these days so I'm leaning on the county's for most of my needs.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
I don't drive. I've never liked to drive and I don't have a license. I walk, bus, bike, or bum rides when I need to get around, hince my intense interest in finding a hotel with a shuttle service (though somebody to slip cab fair with isn't a bad back-up plan).

u dirty unamerican commie

also you need to be 25 to rent a car

we'll figure something out in regards to transit - Tom and I may have some people dropping on us so we it's possible we can fit a few people in our room

I haven't been to the Ram mainly because I wanted to avoid things that are too popular - after a certain point you get the worst nerds of all - attention craving (guy) nerds in utili-klits getting drunk and flashing people and screaming too much.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »
also you need to be 25 to rent a car

According to Tad's profile, he meets this requirement.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »

u dirty unamerican commie

That's what those cards Al Gore keeps sending me say but he puts little hearts over the "i"s.

Only reason I was interested in the Ram was if the food was great but it sounds like it's more the "atomsphere" of the place than anything else. I'll stick with whatever has smaller crowds or with my own food, which I plan to bring alot of.

I likewise was planning to avoid some of the larger events this year, the stuff like True Dungeon. Probably save those for later when I know the underlying structure better.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:19:18 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

AmishNinja

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NaturalOne
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 02:44:23 PM »
I likewise was planning to avoid some of the larger events this year, the stuff like True Dungeon. Probably save those for later when I know the underlying structure better.

I've heard that the True Dungeon should be avoided indefinitely. I have friends who say they would have to be paid to run through it again. Not sure what anyone else's experiences have been but I've heard the same thing from no less than a dozen people.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »
Gamers say that about anything they don't like. True Dungeon has been running for a long time and, apparently, sells extremely well every year so a majority of people must enjoy it.

I won't know if it isn't really for me until I either try it or get to see it close up, so I intend to see it close up this year and try it another time.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »
Again, I tend to avoid the uber popular events - diminishing returns and all that

I would recommend the Goodman DCC tournament - I haven't had a chance to play it but that is something I would love to try out

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 06:05:58 PM »
I was most interested in the large scale but personal events, like the "paint and take" minitures thing and the gaming library (I know that's not an event perse but it sounds like fun). Those sound like fun but what I really want to do is just check the place out. Hit panels, wander the halls, go through the underground tubes and follow them back into the hotels, try and crash into other people's pick up games or grab some space a start one of my own, all that crazy crap.

I just want to have a rough plan so I don't get rolled under and crushed by the sheer size of GenCon, which I've heard is one of the big threats.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 08:04:14 PM »
It will be my first time there also.  I am going to try to preregister for a bunch of games that I want to play in.  How quick do the games fill up once they get posted?  Is it going to be a matter of seconds,minutes or days for the good ones?  I am assuming that I will need to be in concert ticket mode when they open up.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »
It will be my first time there also.  I am going to try to preregister for a bunch of games that I want to play in.  How quick do the games fill up once they get posted?  Is it going to be a matter of seconds,minutes or days for the good ones?  I am assuming that I will need to be in concert ticket mode when they open up.

That's a good idea - some shit fills up insanely quick. True Dungeon does. DCC tourney does. Not sure what else.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »
Accordng the vets on the GenCon forums CoC games tend to fill up fairly quickly, as do any games run by developers or that have a history of being run. There's a big list on the forum FAQ. I plan to keep away from major stuff and stick with lessers, unless I get the chance to leap into a game with some of the big boys.

Speaking of which: Ross, any idea what Scott Glancy has in store for you guys this year? Any chance we'll be hearing about some more souls in an armored Siberian train?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »
Accordng the vets on the GenCon forums CoC games tend to fill up fairly quickly, as do any games run by developers or that have a history of being run. There's a big list on the forum FAQ. I plan to keep away from major stuff and stick with lessers, unless I get the chance to leap into a game with some of the big boys.

Speaking of which: Ross, any idea what Scott Glancy has in store for you guys this year? Any chance we'll be hearing about some more souls in an armored Siberian train?

Yeah that is exactly what he plans to run. He's playtested it recently.

Dawnsteel

• Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 11:16:38 PM »
Quote from: clockworkjoe

I just had a fanboy seizure.  Don't mind me, I think I have it under control.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 01:20:56 AM »
Quote from: clockworkjoe

I just had a fanboy seizure.  Don't mind me, I think I have it under control.

^---- Failed his SAN check.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »
I can't wait to hear this one. I also can't wait to hear some of the other games he might be recording. The ArcDream blog mentioned the same thing you did awhile ago (that Scott would be recording APs) and hasn't updated since then.