Author Topic: Who's trying new games?  (Read 31643 times)

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Who's trying new games?
« on: April 04, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »
I bring this up cause I just purchased Savage Worlds: Explorer's Edition, and I'm excited to learn a new game. My intent is to learn it well enough in order to convert Gamma World into a Savage Gamma World!  ;D

Who else is trying new games? RPG or board game. What 'cha checkin' out?
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Zeernebooch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Who's trying new games?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
Well once i can get my group together (they have been being difficult for the last couple weeks) i plan on trying CoC/BRP and eventually a Mutants and Masterminds game once i get around to writing some stuff up.
I have heard a lot of good about Savage Worlds and have been thinking of trying it out myself. cannot wait to hear how your run with it goes.
I also i have been thinking of trying out the Fallout pnp game, but it seems a bit complicated for my tastes.
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

Mason

• he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:14:58 PM »
Well I was running GURPS for a long while there. Im converting alot of stuff. Ive got a Marvel style campaign going using mutants and masterminds. Ive set it pre-civil war and then Im gonna toss that and the Skrull invasion at them.

mutants and masterminds is really growing on me. its like D&D 3.X meets GURPS. Im just getting use to a few formulas and such. the first two games were real kinda hit and miss with me abandoning the rules half way through and just had them roll the D20 for challenges.

Ive also got a Ghost Hunters GURPS game going that I've converted to Fear Itself. Fear is definatly more roleplaying centered. my players like the point pool and the character creation.

so Ive got somethings for my Combat Monkeys and something for my Roleplay monkeys.

"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »
I'm planning to get Mutants and Masterminds soon. I wasn't that much interested but I've heard it being talked about on another podcast and it spiked my interest.

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:16:26 AM »
Yeah, I'm intrigued to try out M&M. Now that I have Savage Worlds, I was thinking of giving their particular version of a superpowered game a try, (and I may still will), but now I really want to give M&M a shot.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 02:09:59 AM »
Games I have no run and am planning to within three months:
Call of Cthulhu
Cthulhu Tech
GURPS
Paranoia XP
Anima

Zeernebooch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 02:13:52 AM »
Just remembered that i also need to try and get my players to try out the L5R RPG. Love the setting sooo much.
Wish I lived in an area that i could play the card game still and try and affect the story line.
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

bigznak

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »
I can't wait to try Monsters & other childish things.  I bought it about a week ago and can't wait to try it out.

Mason

• he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »
sadly I dont know if my gamers have the mental capacity to play a game of monsters and other childish things. the idea that they would be playing as children would be to much for them.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »
The gamers I know won't even play 4.0 let alone other games. Lame right
Kenders Rock

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »
Well as we like to say: there's no wrong way to have fun.

Well, accept for all those we've talked about here. And the guys cover on the show.

Infact, there's lots of wrong way to have fun and the gamer's you know sound look narrow minded tools. That might be a little over the top.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »
 nope thats right on the point
Kenders Rock

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 04:22:44 PM »
I can't wait to try Monsters & other childish things.  I bought it about a week ago and can't wait to try it out.

Feel free to ask questions about it. It's actually quite easy to get players into roleplaying as kids as everyone has experience being a kid. You just have to get them into the mood and right frame of mind.

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 07:50:24 PM »

Feel free to ask questions about it. It's actually quite easy to get players into roleplaying as kids as everyone has experience being a kid. You just have to get them into the mood and right frame of mind.

I would love to play someday.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »
I finally got a copy of Call of Cthulhu. It's really old (published 1989) and its still one of the coolest RPG books I've every read.

I've decided to make the game I run with it my first "public" session. I've been recording my games for review purposes and haven't found them particularly entertaining so I haven't made the effort to put them where anyone could hear them. So, I'm going to make this one a bit of a production.

None of the players have played it before and only one of them knows anything significant about the Mythos so I should be assured some players who won't know what hit them.