Author Topic: Mired in the Quicksand: Being a Player when Nothing Happens  (Read 25334 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Mired in the Quicksand: Being a Player when Nothing Happens
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »
If you think that he just doesn't know what he's doing than you have a pretty simple solution: record the game and make him listen to the audio. Relistening to myself has thrown alot of my choices as a GM into a different light for me.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »
Make shit happen.

Take a stand.

Think out of the box.

Do something unexpected.

Derail yourself.

Stop talking and start laying down search patters, begin gps coordinating, go torture the information out of thugs, etc...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »
Do you guys even have any powers of your own? I wasn't really clear on just what your PCs can do.

I mean, if you've got some decent abilities and there's a whole group of you than kick in a door, take over a building, and establish your own kingdom in the middle of downtown. And wrap tinfoil around your heads to keep out the mind control.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 07:42:51 PM »
I love the tinfoil idea.  Next session all your characters should be wearing tinfoil hats.  The GM should let that block the mind control because it is so cool!

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »
OR you could learn him some Game Mastering Essays,

or atleast refer him to the RPPR Podcast about shitty GMs or w/e episodes you think will open his mind.

Or you could run a one shot, same characters but before the start of this game- sort of a prelude background kind of deal and just totally SHOW HIM WHO THE BOSS IS !

The Seppuku idea is pretty great too.

Fuck him up!
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »

or atleast refer him to the RPPR Podcast about shitty GMs or w/e episodes you think will open his mind.

Or you could run a one shot, same characters but before the start of this game- sort of a prelude background kind of deal and just totally SHOW HIM WHO THE BOSS IS !

The Seppuku idea is pretty great too.

Fuck him up!

He doesn't want to listen to RPPR

That podcast is some shit.

Abub

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
Just tell him you would love to see some action.  I am thinking it sounds like he is trying to lay a bunch of groundwork for a epic campaign of some kind... which if he is new might be a lot to chew off at first.  Or not, depending if he is like a writer or something.

Basically just tell him you are interested in seeing him realize his plot, but that you would like to see some action.  I bet he's planning something where you establish a lot of inter relationships between factions, players and NPCs (sort of like in the first season of Heroes) before he ends the season with a big action scene or multi-scene war type thing.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 03:49:12 PM »
Do you guys even have any powers of your own? I wasn't really clear on just what your PCs can do.

I mean, if you've got some decent abilities and there's a whole group of you than kick in a door, take over a building, and establish your own kingdom in the middle of downtown. And wrap tinfoil around your heads to keep out the mind control.

We've got an ecclectic mix of powers. My guy can control light and turn it into matter, my girlfriend's character turns into some kind of boogeyman hellbeast, another player has telepathy, and the last member is a teleporter with sweet ninja skillz.

As for the storming the city idea... we could do it, but it would be out of character. This is a group of pretty hardcore roleplayers, and the idea of doing something so blatantly character-violating just rubs us the wrong way. Things are getting pretty bad though... we might have to go there to get anything to happen.

If you think that he just doesn't know what he's doing than you have a pretty simple solution: record the game and make him listen to the audio. Relistening to myself has thrown alot of my choices as a GM into a different light for me.

Actually, we HAVE been recording all the game sessions, but he hasn't asked for the recordings yet. I'm  planning to hand those over tonight when I talk to him about how things are going. Hopefully it'll impact him as it did you.

That's what I'm hoping to do, verbally. I've referred him to RPPR several times, and suggested some reading (uncle figgy's list and such) but he hasn't read any of them. I think he still feels he's above that because he's enjoying the game so much that it must be good. Hence the point about "a GM's place in the game" that needs to be driven home. Maybe once he realizes he doesn't have it all figured out he'll be more willing to do some studying.

Just tell him you would love to see some action.  I am thinking it sounds like he is trying to lay a bunch of groundwork for a epic campaign of some kind... which if he is new might be a lot to chew off at first.  Or not, depending if he is like a writer or something.

Basically just tell him you are interested in seeing him realize his plot, but that you would like to see some action.  I bet he's planning something where you establish a lot of inter relationships between factions, players and NPCs (sort of like in the first season of Heroes) before he ends the season with a big action scene or multi-scene war type thing.

That is a good thought. It's kind of where we thought things were going too. Then he revealed that next game is "the climax" and that we will probably be wrapping up in two sessions. I am going to suggest that he try and introduce some extra layers of story to maybe give us at least %50 action-y gaming to go with our sitting around and talking.

Thanks for all the advice. Some of it I had already considered, but hearing it again helps me feel that I'm not being a douche by pointing this stuff out.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:52:48 PM by ArtfulShrapnel »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »
We've got an ecclectic mix of powers. My guy can control light and turn it into matter, my girlfriend's character turns into some kind of boogeyman hellbeast, another player has telepathy, and the last member is a teleporter with sweet ninja skillz.

Those are some pretty awesome powers. I can see how breaking character might be uncomfortable for you and I hope that you also see my point that staying in character is not comfortable either.

Both you and your characters are being abused by your GM and unless something changes you will continues to be abused. You need to show somebody on the doll where the bad gamer master mind controlled your PC.

It sound like you've tried most of the reasonable solutions and it's progressing to the point that you either have to take in game action or more drastic real life action. Intervention style.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:36:12 PM »

Those are some pretty awesome powers. I can see how breaking character might be uncomfortable for you and I hope that you also see my point that staying in character is not comfortable either.

Both you and your characters are being abused by your GM and unless something changes you will continues to be abused. You need to show somebody on the doll where the bad gamer master mind controlled your PC.

It sound like you've tried most of the reasonable solutions and it's progressing to the point that you either have to take in game action or more drastic real life action. Intervention style.

True that. We'll see how the intervention tonight goes. I'm hoping to meet up and talk game, then play Arkham Horror for the first time. (To make the trauma of being told about game seem insignificant by comparison)

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »
It sounds to me that the fault doesn't lie so much on the GMs shoulders but on the players. Surely if you guys had given across a good idea of what you want to do then he would of acted on it, no?

I'd reccomend having 10 minutes where you ask him to not have any input what so ever and work out amongst yourself your characters motives in the next 12 hours and what they want to do. You then form a very basic semblence of a plan of what you want to do. Then you tell the GM this in as few sentences as possible.

From what you've said it sounds to me like this is roughly what you want to do, correct any mistakes.

"We want to learn the fate of the previous lot of supers. To do this we want to find an old villain of there's. We wish to follow avenues to get to this 'person'"

Then have a few ideas, of your own and not of the GMs, in how you would do this within a city. Examples would be chasing crime lords up the ranks as it were.

I know what it feels like to be rail-roaded into not only plots but situations you don't feel your character would be in. If you can't break that cycle by giving him one clear 'thrust' of action then he is beyond saving. Some people just shouldn't run games.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »
Basically you should go fuck bitches and get money.

Sean-o-tron

• heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
Wisdom.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
Truer words were never spoken.

TigerStorm

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 12:33:25 AM »

"Fight Me Or Give Me A Quest" would be a good one to start with.